Terrible lag spikes with Unifi USG and ATT Fiber

I recently decided to fix my spotty WiFi, and did a lot of reading re: Ubiquiti that felt like it fit the requiremens. What I missed was what a hassle it was going to be with ATT Gigapower. I've seen people with expertise here regarding Ubiquiti product so I was wondering if someone could give me a hint on what to do next.

I followed the instructions here: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/INSTRUCTIONS-Bypass-ATT-Fiber-Residential-Gate...

and was able to get the USG to get to the Internet. However, I noticed that at some points the network would hiccup. This was made frustratingly clear when I tried playing any game. Destiny 2 would notify "contacting the Destiny 2 servers" every so often. Since the game doesn't have a clear ping tool, I tried Diablo 3. It would run at a good latency ~40ms for a few minutes, then jump 1000, then back to 40, at about 30 seconds or so of duration. Or it would disconnect me.

I'm not sure how to debug this. Prior to this setup I had a Tp-Link Archer C3200 connected via the IP passthrough. Wireless was spotty buy my wired connections were rock-solid. Now it feels the inverse, and I would rather have solid wired....

Because of the time granularity I don't really see much in the Controller, however doing top in the USG reveals that during the spikes, the following processes are active

vittaya-dns-forw

vittaya-update-r

vitysh

I should add, I did my homework, and there's no DPI, IDS, smart queues or anything of the sort turned on. Just the script/settings for doing the ATT "TrueBridge" as pointed out above.

The layout is essentially ATT Gateway -> Router -> PoE Switch -> PC

I don't know what these processes do but there's definitely a spike in the router, occurring periodically, that kills the internet for every device. It's not as noticeable with web surfing but for games it's nearly unplayable. Anything else I could be trying?

Kudos: 106
Solutions: 10

Re: Terrible lag spikes with Unifi USG and ATT Fiber

Have you disable the period speed tests? 

They weren't enabled to begin with, but I'm reading that perhaps I should try enabling and disabling to make sure it provisions correctly?

Well, for provisioning test, I'd definitely choose something else when you already are having serious issues with lag spikes. The speedtests will only make them a lot worse.

[ Edited ]

Yeah. Any other setting I should check?

Thanks for the help btw.

Just wanted to add. this was in an Arris bgw210 RG. I took the old router I was using, and put the unifi under it (after disabling the proxy scripts and rebooting). Problem solved. This means that the solution for "TrueBridge" mode is faulty, or at least incomplete, for this particular gateway. Users beware.

Hmmm, a "true bridge" that doesn't bridge. Nice find. Icon Lol

Kudos: 3

The reason you’re having issues is because you don’t fully understand what you’re trying to accomplish (assuming your network topography is exactly as you laid out). 

The “true bridge” is basically removing the gateway altogether. That’s what the scripts help accomplish (certificate authentication). I’ve put a couple dozen of the BGW-210’s into IP Passthrough mode and I’ve also completed half a dozen or so removing the gateway altogether (primarily businesses using a residential att gateway). 

Do the simple IP pass through. You’ll save yourself a ton of headaches... the only reason to go the script route is if you’re maxing out the NAT table on the BGW-210. Simple IP Passthrough will not have the issues you’re describing because you’re using it like you’re supposed to. 

Instructions:

1) Connect Laptop to BGW WiFi 

2) Clear device list

3) Plug in USG (nothing else) and allow it to pull a DHCP address from the BGW

4) Go into the BGW firewall and enable IP Passthrough. Click on the drop down to select the device (it’ll say “UBNT\MAC ID”)

5) Click save

6) BGW will reboot, at same time unplug USG power

7) Wait for the BGW to come completely back online and then plug the USG power back in. 

8) Plug in LAN devices and then move on with your life. 

If you do the full Passthrough and remove the AT&T gateway, prepare to hate your life every time the power goes out or AT&T has an issue. IP Passthrough works more than fine. I use it along with a block of static IP’s from AT&T. I have 3 ESXi nodes, 40+ virtual machines and PS4, Xbox, etc running without issues. I also do my fair share of torrenting which has never caused problems with NAT limits. 

Let me know if you need any help with it. I’ll check the forums again later today (PST)

Right, the network topology didn't really represent what I had. 

Regarding the connections between the USG and the gateway, I followed the steps for the TrueBridge mode:  ONT to USG WAN, LAN to switch, ONT port in gateway to WAN2 in USG. Was I supposed to disconnect the gateway after? I thought the gateway was required in the loop to continue authentication, but maybe that's where I was mistaken and thus the source of my issues (but also, it was not clear from that blog post). 

I already did the IP passthrough (it's how I had my old router hooked up), but thanks for reinforcing my gut feeling that it's the better alternative. It's another device in the loop but frankly I prefer stability than have something at ATT change and crap the whole network. Thanks for the reply!