Highlighted
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

Topology view not working since connection between switches changed to SFP

[ Edited ]

Since changing the cabling between two UniFi switches from ethernet to SFP, the topology view no longer shows anything.

Just prior to this change, I had a previous occasion where the topology didn't show, but that was eventually identified as having a non-UniFi device between the switches:

Cloud Key
UniFi AP #1
UniFi AP #2
-->
-->
-->
UniFi POE Switch #1-->Firewall<--UniFi Switch #2

This was changed to the following and then the topology view worked fine:

Cloud Key
UniFi AP #1
UniFi AP #2
-->
-->
-->
UniFi POE Switch #1-->UniFi Switch #2-->Firewall

All the connections above used standard ethernet cabling. Then, to release a POE port, I switched to using SFP between the switches. All connections work fine, excepting that the topology view no longer shows anything.

The SFP cable is a 10Gtek for Ubiquiti SFP+ Direct Attach Copper Cable.

It isn't a major catastrophe that this doesn't work, but it would be nice if it did Smiley Happy

Thoughts?

Accepted Solutions

Re: Topology view not working since connection between switches changed to SFP

Just gone through two updates for the switches and APs. Unsure if one or both resolved the issue, but I am now seeing devices on the topology view.

Versions installed:
- Switches -> 3.9.41.9107
- APs -> 3.9.42.9152

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 293
Solutions: 114

Are there any redundant paths in your topology that may be affected by spanning tree protocol? Also, are you utilizing the uplink and connectivity monitor feature of the APs? If so have you rebooted the APs since changing the topology?

-Thanks
Adam Dipple | Security

No redundant paths, yes and I have just rebooted everything bar the cloud key. Still nothing showing.

All the UniFi devices have direct connection with each other and the firewall is the only non-UniFi device. Everything else is a client connecting directly (ethernet) to a switch or via an AP.

Just gone through two updates for the switches and APs. Unsure if one or both resolved the issue, but I am now seeing devices on the topology view.

Versions installed:
- Switches -> 3.9.41.9107
- APs -> 3.9.42.9152

FYI: Just after posting this, 3.9.42.9152 became available for the switches. Post upgrade, topology view still working.