Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

US‑16‑XG Compatibility Question

Hello!

So recently I have started to get into using SFP/SFP+ connectivity so I apologize in advance for any stupid sounding questions.  I have been looking into the US‑16‑XG product offered by ubiquity and reading on the product site it seems to lead you in the direction that this switch is mainly designed to be used to link other switches through the SFP+ ports.  But I was curious, given that its just an SFP+ port can plain old end points be connected and used (such as SFP+ network adaptors)?  I don't see any technical reason they couldn't but maybe the switches software prevents such use.  

Also a side question on anyone that may have been using this switch, I was trying to find out if you can get 1gbe tranceivers for sfp+ ports and from my research it sounds like sfp is really designed for the slower speeds though people have reported they were able to get sfp+ ports to communicate at slower then 10gbe speeds.  Does this switch support such connectivity?  Given the product page shows examples of the US‑16‑XG connecting to SFP+ ports on other 48 port switches I wasn't sure if you could also manage / connect devices that have only SFP ports?

Thanks in advance.

Established Member
Kudos: 476
Solutions: 50

Re: US‑16‑XG Compatibility Question

[ Edited ]

1/ Sure you can use those as a normal switch, not just to connect other switches.

2/ SFP modules will work in SFP+ ports (at least the UBNT-made ones) but you must set both ends' link negotiation to manual 1000Mbps. SFP+ modules will not work in SFP ports.

P.S. Do not plan on using the copper ports for anything until further notice...

Thank you for the information.  I didnt expect to be placing SFP modules in SFP+ ports (or vice versa).  Though your comment about not using the copper ports till further notice brings up a couple questions.  The first being why (probably obvious) and the second being, if you can't use the copper ports on the switch for whatever reason can you purchase sfp+ to cat 6 modules and connect copper through that method?

Established Member

woogerboy21 wrote:

The first being why (probably obvious) and the second being, if you can't use the copper ports on the switch for whatever reason can you purchase sfp+ to cat 6 modules and connect copper through that method?

You can read this long thread wrt copper ports. In general, stick with fiber for 10Gbit purposes. Copper is a mess, not just with UBNT.

Kudos: 70
Solutions: 10

doktornotor wrote:

woogerboy21 wrote:

The first being why (probably obvious) and the second being, if you can't use the copper ports on the switch for whatever reason can you purchase sfp+ to cat 6 modules and connect copper through that method?

Copper is a mess, not just with UBNT.

I think that's rather disingenuous. Sure, if I buy a no-name Chinese 10GbE switch and it only works with other Chinese 10GbE equipment I only have myself to blame but if I buy Cisco and Intel and other kit that fully complies with the standards, then I expect other vendors kit to work with it. And UBNT doesn't work with Intel or Broadcom. Both are big players in the On-board NIC for servers market and to release a switch with 4 copper ports that they KNEW didn't work properly is less than straightforward shall we say.

And the fact that the no. 1 recommendation to anyone asking for help is to suggest they join the Beta programme and download Beta firmware 6 months after launch is also pushing the boundaries of what might be deemed reasonable in a company aspiring to the heights that UBNT area. 

If this was a higher volume sales device I suspect they'd be looking at a class action by now. 

doktornotor wrote:

woogerboy21 wrote:

You can read this long thread wrt copper ports.

Only if woogerboy21 joins the Beta programme. That's a big issue for people buying the US-16-XG. You only get to see the huge number of issues people have with it by joining the Beta programme (almost always after they have bought one).

Established Member

This bickering here doesn't add anything to the topic, really. And I won't repost the huge thread here so that someone doesn't need to join beta program, sorry. If people are interested, they can join, if not, their problem.

On the bickering note - go talk to some Intel/Broadcom etc. guys off record and ask them what they think about using copper for 10GbE. If it worked, noone would be working on 2.5GBase-T and 5GBase-T.

It's not bickering, it's getting the US-16-XG issues out in the open that people can make an informed decision before they buy one rather than find out all the issues afterwards. 

It's a piece of junk. And the ES-16-XG is no better. That's the truth. 

Established Member

Thanks for the insight. Perhaps you might start your own thread, instead of hijacking others for your agenda. I think I pretty openly told the OP to not plan on using the copper ports. (And frankly, I'd say the same to anyone planning any serious 10Gbit deployment of any vendor's gear. It's an interoperability nightmare, save yourself the trouble and start with fiber, it's even cheaper.)

[ Edited ]

doktornotor wrote:

This bickering here doesn't add anything to the topic, really. And I won't repost the huge thread here so that someone doesn't need to join beta program, sorry. If people are interested, they can join, if not, their problem.

On the bickering note - go talk to some Intel/Broadcom etc. guys off record and ask them what they think about using copper for 10GbE. If it worked, noone would be working on 2.5GBase-T and 5GBase-T.

We actually use both SFP+ and Copper connections at the facilities I work at.  Copper is actually overtaking the number of fiber connections in our organization as we upgrade our infrastructure.  All our adapters are intel as we have had 0 problems with the equipment.  We also use Cisco based networking gear.

I personally am in charge of the virtual infrastructure at the company (we run vsphere/esxi) and I can tell you from the hosts we have comparing the fiber to copper connections we have practically no difference in speed or issue.  Only time we have seen problems is when we begin to create LAGs and that was only with multiple 1Gbe connections.  And even then its only with the native vlan configurations.

What interested me in the US-16-XG switch was that it have both in my home network.  I run SFP+ connections due to the cost on the second hand market when it comes to adapters.  The equipment I have at home is Mellanox ConnectX adaptors with short run twinax cables currently.  I chose to go this route due to cost but also to gain a bit more knowledge in working with SFP/SFP+ connectivity.  The problem in my situation is I dont have tons of money to throw around and for $500 I dont want to get a switch that won't work for my purposes or has stability issue's.  Personally I have had very good experience with ubiquity products and hope that if this switch does have the issue's mentioned they would be forthcoming about it.

Edit:

One other thing to note, though I didn't expect to use the copper connections at first, I did intent on using them or even going with modules to connect copper to the SFP+ ports.  I know this connectivity is available and does work with other branded products but would prefer to stick with the same vendor on networking gear for my home network for simplicity reasons.

Established Member

I really am not sure what you are after connecting here. If you wanted to use the SFP+ to RJ45 copper transceivers, then a single piece of those costs more than the entire US‑16‑XG switch. So, that makes no sense whatsoever.

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

The primary purpose of the switch is to connect SFP+ connections to host end points at 10Gbe and to use the copper connections to eventually connect 1Gbe end points.  The question in regards to connecting copper to the SFP+ ports using a transceiver was asked when some one pointed out to not use the copper connections at all.

Sounds to me like I will just contact ubiquity and get the run down on what the product supports and what they recommend as so far it seems the community either split on the subject and I can't decifier if its truely a product defect or simply lack of experience with the technology.

Thanks though for all the recommendations and help that have been provided.

Yes, you can use Copper transceivers in the SFP+ ports however you have to be extremely careful as there is a longer list of incompatible transceivers than compatible transceivers although again, with the Beta firmware that is much less of an issue. I really can't stress enough how much better the switch is with the Beta firmware.

Also, I saw someone stating that it was possible to get a copper transceiver for $20. Yes, you can get a 1GbE SFP copper transceiver for $20 and I can guarantee you, if you buy the 10GTek for Ubiquiti one, it will work. 

If you want a 10GbE SFP+ copper transceiver, then the only one I know for certain that works is the Optech SFP+ Copper Transceiver for Unifi and that is $300 per piece. 

And if you only want 1GbE connections then the copper ports will work for you anyway. It's only at 10GbE speeds that they fall over. 

Established Member

Then again if he wanted to use 1GbE there'd be no reason whatsoever to choose this switch. Just doesn't make sense.