Kudos: 11
Solutions: 3

US‑16‑XG as the main switch?

We are remodeling our house and I am instlaling Cat6A STP cables troughout the house. My office / workshop is located in a seperate building that will be connected with two ethernet cables and one fiberoptic cable.

I want to utilize the bandwith available on the new wiring and want to install a 10GB switch. I realze that the US-16-XG needs additinal RJ45 STP modules. My question is if the US-16XG can be used as a regular Managed switch?

Below a list of what I am planning to instal.

Looking forward to your replies.

Rogier

Plan is to install at the house:

• USG‑PRO‑4
  • Cloud key Gen2
  • US‑16‑XG
  • AP-AC-Pro
  • AP-AC-Lite
  • Synology DS1517+ (want to enable LAG!)
  • POE injector for camera's and VoiP phone
  • 2 Security camera's

In the office:

• US‑8‑150W
  • AP-AC-Lite
  • ? Outdoor unit to cover the garden
  • 2 Security camera's

Kudos: 273
Solutions: 38

Re: US‑16‑XG as the main switch?

[ Edited ]

> My question is if the US-16XG can be used as a regular Managed switch?

It is by definition a managed switch. Works just like any other Unifi switch. Just that it handles 10G.

Beware 10G copper SFP+ modules may have reduced range compared to dedicated copper ports due to power limits of SFP+. Definitely no PoE.

There is also the early access US-XG-6POE 6x10G copper (+2xSFP+) with PoE which seems to fit your needs better, depending on how many Cat6a drops you want 10G for.

if you don’t want injectors for the APs and the USG-XG if you want to go flat out 10G.

If you are all about bandwidth, run dual 1G OM3 / OM4 to the office US-8-150W.

I have a US-16-XG paired with a US-48-500W for all the legacy copper drops (PoE for cameras & APs). DAC cables between them and servers. The US-48’s extra SFP ports are handy for dual fiber 1G uplinks to a satellite US-8-150W to minimize waste on the US-XG-16.

Good luck and have fun!

> Synology DS1517+ (want to enable LAG!)

If you plan to get the 10G add on card and place it near the US-XG-16, I would recommend the dual SFP+ card and use a short DAC to connect to the switch.

I personally believe we’re already pushing the limits of copper UTP. Fiber is the inevitable future.

Thanks for all your advice!

I realized that non of the devices in my network have connections above 1Gb. 

It was my hope to future proof my new wiring with a super fast switch but it seems that 10Gb switches aren't that common yet.

Smiles across the wires,

Rogier

If you are renovating. The best kind of future proofing is to install conduit / ENT / Resi-Gard(tm) for your network drops. Then you can update the network cabling without tearing walls apart.

In any case, best of luck with the remodel!

I am lucky with a spacious attic and crawlspace from where I can pull wiring to every room in the house.

Currentluy the only wall outlets that we need are in the livingroom and office for my wife. One WiFi AP in the attic covers the entire house.

The bridge to my office will be a spacious conduit going underground and cast in concrete...

Either witch way I think that Cat6A Shielded will cover our needs for a longggg time.

Smiles across the wires,

Rogier