Kudos: 148
Solutions: 6

US-8 able to pass POE reliably to an Outdoor Mesh Pro?

I have an outdoor area to cover.  2x utility poles running around a huge outdoor pool area.  First pole (Pole A)  is about 175 feet from a building where I'll have the two outdoor Toughcables coming from...to provide data and POE.  I plan on hanging an Outdoor Mesh Pro on that pole, and using the first Toughcable to power that and feed it data.  I thought I'd put a US-8 in a weatherproof box..and run the second Toughcable into that...bringing power and data.  And then use the US-8 to be POE passthrough..as well as "repeat" the data...thus resetting the "100 meter max distance for ethernet" rule.  Now...the next pole is ~225 feet from Pole A.  ANd I'd run another Toughcable from the POE passthrough out of the US-8...to feed another Mesh Pro outdoor AP on Pole B.

These poles have low voltage PA system wiring strung along them as lower height..and I planned on running the Toughcable along those.  Not up top with the electrical.  These poles are on the private property of the club.

Or am I better off running 48v wires along to power a EdgeSwitch 8 at the pole? 

Highlighted
Kudos: 7

Re: US-8 able to pass POE reliably to an Outdoor Mesh Pro?

I can't give you spec reason's it won't work, only anecdotal. In general, my experience with PoE in and Out on the US-8 has been that sometimes it works. Othertimes not. Now I used these in setups where I was moving a bunch of gear every couple days for temp setups with different configurations each day. So it could be cable, or the PSE etc...that made it not work for me. 

I assume you need the better power or capacity of the Mesh Pro?

Without knowing your site, I would maybe recommend using 2 x Mesh's with a NanoSwitch. If you need more control over your coverage, maybe look at the UMA-D, antenna for the regulars mesh AP.

The Nano switch is just an exterior 24v unmanaged switch, but its small and pretty much ready to go and has a nice grounding jack on it.

Kudos: 148
Solutions: 6

Re: US-8 able to pass POE reliably to an Outdoor Mesh Pro?

Thanks...yeah, I was suspecting the US-8 may be a little light for the job.  I have used a couple of those, 1 of which does need a reboot every month or so, seems to fall offline.

I'm avoiding the standard mesh models because I have a higher density in this daytime camp/club.  ....several hundred users. I feel more confident in the higher horsepower of the Mesh Pros...I'll have 4 of 'em.  Hence...the nanoswitch..no option there.

Asked client the feasibility of running 110 power outlet to this pole and they have no problem doing it.  So...good news is I can put a US-8-150 in a weatherbox on that pole now..powered.  Man Happy

Plan B was going to be to run 48v to an EdgeSwitch 8.