Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)
Kudos: 20
Solutions: 3

US-L2-48-POE Switches

I just ordered and recieved -3- US-L2-48-POE switches, directly from the Ubiquiti store.  I had been waiting for them to not show as "early access", as i wanted the finished product for my customer.

Unfortunately, they have arrived with "BETA SAMPLE NOT FOR RESALE" stickers on the box and rear of the unit.  Do I need to be concerned with this, or are these unit acceptable to be installed for an end user?

Kudos: 208
Solutions: 18

Re: US-L2-48-POE Switches

same with the one I just got.  I reached out to UBNT and complained (ish)  I was told that there were no changed from the last beta run and they are 100% the same as the non beta hardware, that they were just using up the last bit of stock.  I was told same warranty etc and not to worry.

So, based on what they told me, there is no need to worry, they are full support.

Mine is running great and love it.

Kudos: 6

I wish my response would have been the same, but I basically got "you ordered the beta switches" and no other response...

I ordered 3 as new switches, not beta.... one of them has 1 power supply, the other 2 have dual.... what about yours?

I'm frustrated right now being misled and having a joke of a response from customer service

My responce was also that they were beta.

I asked and never recived a good answer as to why there were moved to the regular store, out of early access and availilble for purchase with NO indication that you were buying beta equipment.  I only have 1 power supply in each, but they are not available to purchase anymore.

These were marketed, sold, and bought with the understanding that they were a finished product and the next model for the unifi switches.  It seems that we were misled.

@UBNT-MikeD

That's my whole gripe...if they would have told me thats fine, but just saying "you ordered beta" as a response is tacky and unprofessional... How do I order a 2nd power supply for the one without it? There isn't even info for that.

I also just noticed my US-16-XG has a 24/48v power terminal on the back instead of the coaxial 25v and wondering where I get a power supply for it, since the docs all show the coaxial 25v port... not updated yet?

[ Edited ]

@cbunting wrote:

That's my whole gripe...if they would have told me thats fine, but just saying "you ordered beta" as a response is tacky and unprofessional... How do I order a 2nd power supply for the one without it? There isn't even info for that.

I also just noticed my US-16-XG has a 24/48v power terminal on the back instead of the coaxial 25v and wondering where I get a power supply for it, since the docs all show the coaxial 25v port... not updated yet?

They "had" the power supply for this switch availible in the early access store at one time.  Its not there anymore though.

I had been watching this switch in the beta store for a while and just wainting for it to move to the regular store because i did not want a beta switch.  Yet here we are.....  Here is the reply I had gotten back from Support via email:

Presley M (Ubiquiti Networks Help Center)

Aug 29, 19:00 PDT

Hi Jeff,

Unfortunately, the product has been discontinued.

It was removed from the BETA inventory so that the normal users can buy it.

If you face any issues with the device please contact us and we shall certainly help you.

Thanks!

Presley M
Ubiquiti Networks

This was his suggestion via chat:

(09:38:41 PM) Presley M: did you bought from ubnt store?
(09:38:53 PM) Jeff: yes
(09:39:53 PM) Presley M: okay confirmed with the team
(09:39:57 PM) Presley M: its still in beta
(09:41:14 PM) Jeff: so what does this mean for me? the web site no longer shows as beta or early access.
(09:41:50 PM) Jeff: do i need to be concerned with installing this in a customers site?
(09:42:53 PM) Presley M: when it will be entirely available it wont have BETA tag
(09:43:01 PM) Presley M: right now i would suggest not to install
(09:43:04 PM) Presley M: for customer
(09:43:13 PM) Presley M: and to test at your site first

Kudos: 3

[ Edited ]

@jeffkoeh wrote:

They "had" the power supply for this switch availible in the early access store at one time.  Its not there anymore though.

I had been watching this switch in the beta store for a while and just wainting for it to move to the regular store because i did not want a beta switch.  Yet here we are.....  Here is the reply I had gotten back from Support via email:

Presley M (Ubiquiti Networks Help Center)

Aug 29, 19:00 PDT

Hi Jeff,

Unfortunately, the product has been discontinued.

It was removed from the BETA inventory so that the normal users can buy it.

If you face any issues with the device please contact us and we shall certainly help you.

Thanks!

Presley M
Ubiquiti Networks

Based on this conversation, was it the power supply or the L2-48 switch that was discontinued?   Will the 24 port switch also be discountinued before coming out of beta?

@cbunting wrote:

Im on the same boat, planning on getting a full refund becuase its unacceptable they sell these are regular items with no warnings or disclaimers knowning that there will never be a 2nd power supply available to purchase. You know its called False Advertisement right? If they can't help me buy more PSU's, they should of stated that in the begining. I want a full refund for my US-L2-48-POE or litigation will be my next option. 

@cbunting @jeffkoeh @rsledd @_Space @UBNT-DavidS @UBNT-MikeD @UBNT-Cody

I'm also getting annoyed here. Ubuiqity needs to do something to make this right. They didn't advertise these units as being discontinued or beta when the sold them, and now they are discontinued.... and their own support people are saying not to install them in a customer's site?

@UBNT-DavidS I am still waiting on the power supply your promised me, but I am almost ready to ask for a refund or a replacement with a new product myself. I feel like we have been shafted here.

Unfortunately we would spend more on litigation than these products cost, so I don't think that's a viable option. My hope is that they take care of us as customers and make this right.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 207
Solutions: 9

Hi @cbunting

Thanks for the page. i am following up on the request to see where it is and the status of this.

Thanks,

David S

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

FREE UBRSS Student Guide-Great Intro to Routing & Switching!

Having connectivity issues? See: UniFi Debugging Intermittent Connectivity Issues on your UAP

Learn How to Establish a Connection Using SSH Here

[ Edited ]

@cbunting wrote:

I'm also getting annoyed here. Ubuiqity needs to do something to make this right. They didn't advertise these units as being discontinued or beta when the sold them, and now they are discontinued.... and their own support people are saying not to install them in a customer's site?

@UBNT-DavidS I am still waiting on the power supply your promised me, but I am almost ready to ask for a refund or a replacement with a new product myself. I feel like we have been shafted here.

Unfortunately we would spend more on litigation than these products cost, so I don't think that's a viable option. My hope is that they take care of us as customers and make this right.

Funny how they delete this post and consider it Spam, I am a verified customer and check my orders to confirm it moderators. We should have a right to voice our opinions, like it or not. Would you prefer here or as a complaint on Better Business Bureau? 

I know @cbunting, It sad but I requested a full refund and I am receiving it. The whole point of having a Dual Redundant PSU switch is for that purpose, if one fails you have another PSU that kicks in. The whole markerting and selling point of that switch is based on the Dual Redudant feature. For that reason alone is why I wanted my refund since there are no more PSU's.

I understand issues arrise and sometimes beta hardware will eventually be put for end of life or clearance but they should of stated that since August 2018 the 350W PSU's were gone per other threads I read after buying my unit.  I'm pretty sure they are keeping a stock pile of PSU's in the cases for RMA for defective PSU's, but they should of either noted on the website with a disclaimer of only 1 PSU available per unit and no extra PSU's available or given all customers 2 PSU's in the begining and charge  more money and work through it with future possible RMA's. At least the customers would be happy. Heck, they should of gotten the "limited quantaties" units for spare parts and sold the PSU's to customers that already bought the units with 1 PSU only  so they can have 2 PSU's.

On another note, the system can be maxed out to 700W I think and you can combine both PSU's output and disable the redundant feature. I read that somewhere on another post. What good is a 350W unit that is like handicapped missing 1 PSU with so many Redudant features/options by not having a 2nd PSU. They even told me on the email I sent to the store that "They were cleaned out, and do not know when they will return" hint hint they will not restock them, why would they if the unit is discontinued and there is no need for a 350W supply as their other products are 100W and 150W PSU's...

I am very dissapointed as my 32 POE cameras by Uniview will need a new 48 port switch. With this customer service thing going on and the issue I just had with Ubnt, Im going to stick to getting a $1000 Planet 48 POE+ 802.3AT port switch 600W with full Layer 2, 3, and 4 support. They have a 440W version cheaper too L2 only ($675). Getting it from cctv(dott)net website, which they have discounted rates from California. Ask for Armen for REAL customer service. The UBNT hardware looks good, but they need to spend money on real customer service representatives. Its not the consumers fault that Ubiquiti got $ 46.7 Million dollars stolen from bank accounts and that might be a factor why they are using as less resources as possible. Nono

Kudos: 1

@juniorp187 wrote:

@cbunting wrote:

Funny how they delete this post and consider it Spam, I am a verified customer and check my orders to confirm it moderators. We should have a right to voice our opinions, like it or not. Would you prefer here or as a complaint on Better Business Bureau? 

I know @cbunting, It sad but I requested a full refund and I am receiving it. The whole point of having a Dual Redundant PSU switch is for that purpose, if one fails you have another PSU that kicks in. The whole markerting and selling point of that switch is based on the Dual Redudant feature. For that reason alone is why I wanted my refund since there are no more PSU's.

I understand issues arrise and sometimes beta hardware will eventually be put for end of life or clearance but they should of stated that since August 2018 the 350W PSU's were gone per other threads I read after buying my unit.  I'm pretty sure they are keeping a stock pile of PSU's in the cases for RMA for defective PSU's, but they should of either noted on the website with a disclaimer of only 1 PSU available per unit and no extra PSU's available or given all customers 2 PSU's in the begining and charge  more money and work through it with future possible RMA's. At least the customers would be happy. Heck, they should of gotten the "limited quantaties" units for spare parts and sold the PSU's to customers that already bought the units with 1 PSU only  so they can have 2 PSU's.

On another note, the system can be maxed out to 700W I think and you can combine both PSU's output and disable the redundant feature. I read that somewhere on another post. What good is a 350W unit that is like handicapped missing 1 PSU with so many Redudant features/options by not having a 2nd PSU. They even told me on the email I sent to the store that "They were cleaned out, and do not know when they will return" hint hint they will not restock them, why would they if the unit is discontinued and there is no need for a 350W supply as their other products are 100W and 150W PSU's...

I am very dissapointed as my 32 POE cameras by Uniview will need a new 48 port switch. With this customer service thing going on and the issue I just had with Ubnt, Im going to stick to getting a $1000 Planet 48 POE+ 802.3AT port switch 600W with full Layer 2, 3, and 4 support. They have a 440W version cheaper too L2 only ($675). Getting it from cctv(dott)net website, which they have discounted rates from California. Ask for Armen for REAL customer service. The UBNT hardware looks good, but they need to spend money on real customer service representatives. Its not the consumers fault that Ubiquiti got $ 46.7 Million dollars stolen from bank accounts and that might be a factor why they are using as less resources as possible. Nono

I know right...they needed to bring out the POE Switch with 2 power supplies from the get-go. Now we are all screwed.

@cbunting wrote:

Where did you see that they are discontinued, and that they are saying to not install them for customers?   Could you please provide links?  If the products sold are now not suitable for use, is a recall being issued?!

Emerging Member
Kudos: 12
Solutions: 1

@rsledd wrote:

@cbunting wrote:

Where did you see that they are discontinued, and that they are saying to not install them for customers?   Could you please provide links?  If the products sold are now not suitable for use, is a recall being issued?!

See the reply to my thread here asking about these switches.

I've since bought several of the older model, but it makes me very wary of buying other new devices (eg. CK2) until they've been out long enough that it's unlikely they'll be EOL'd early.

To me I think there are 2 issues at play here either they didn't have any more PSU's or had issues with the manufacturing plant in China and they had to scrap the idea. Very weird they sent out Beta's with 2 PSU's in early access, then the Store site sold them with only 1 PSU. They even have the wrong specs and all on the website (2) 250W like if that what it was suppose to bring.

Another other issue could be someone made a mistake and even those it was suppose to be a Layer 2 switch with no routing support, they forgot to make it compatible with 802.3AT POE+ 24V, which then you would not be able to use with the Ubiquiti cameras like the 700W POE model.

Very weird they would throw out a unit like that with an almost perfect well though out design except the 802.3AT POE+ 24V missing.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 26

@juniorp187- Only some of the beta store units shipped with two power supplies. Mine did not.

I have my own nepharious thought on what happened to the switches with redundant power supplies, but an "honest" possibility is that Ubnt decided to act on all the negative feedback they received about producing switches with redundant power supplies (i.e., enterprise grade) that did NOT also support SFP+.

The flat management structure at Ubnt seems to lead to a lot of things being done on an ad hoc basis. I assume this is just another example of it.

Ubiquiti at home: Unifi Ctlr v5.10.19 on UCK at v0.13.7
USG at v4.4.36
US L2 24 POE and US 8 at v4.0.15
(2) UAP AC PRO at v4.0.15 and UAP AC IW at v4.0.15
(2) pihole DNS on RPi, Comcast 75/5 w/Motorola MB-8600 modem

What do you mean? They do have SFP+ slots. I use them on mine with twinax

Emerging Member

I don't use the slots, but aren't they only SFP? My understanding, based on what I remember of the prior discussions, is 10 gigabit Ethernet requires SFP+, something these units didn't have. Or at least didn't at the time.  

USG at v4.4.36

They are SFP+, I use 10gb twinax transceivers between my agg switch and these
Emerging Member

Ah. I see that now on the 48-port version, which is what this thread is about.  The 24-port, like mine, is only SFP. 

My comment about the single power supply may also be irrelevant, since I was speaking of my 24-port switch.

USG at v4.4.36