Highlighted
Solutions: 1

USB storage of USG-3P

Hi All,

It reads on the datasheet of USG-3P that on-board storage is 2GB, but when I plug the USB stick into my PC, it displays that the capacity is just 139MB. What's the matter????

Files in the USB stick is presented in the followed screent shot, what's the meaning of these files?

Can I replace the USB stick with another one?

Thanks,

Michael

USG-USB内容截图.png

Kudos: 38
Solutions: 12

Re: USB storage of USG-3P

The USG-3P is  a router, does not have USB ports and the onboard storage is not a user-serviceable part.  I think you mean a different product, unless you have some pictures of the device in question that you can attach showing us what is happening?

Solutions: 1

Hi

I am sure the product mentioned is USG-3P, the pictures are attached.

Hi @UBNT-MikeD, is the statistical data stored in the usb stick? Can I replace it with another one?

Thanks

1.png2.png

Kudos: 1072
Solutions: 291

[ Edited ]

That USB stick contains the operating system for your USG. You should not be messing around with it at all.

It could brick your USG entirely, and there is nothing usefull you can do with it as a user.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 41

[ Edited ]

The USB stick is not for storing files, it is for the routers OS only.

It will be formatted as a linux filesystem, this is why you only see XMB instead of the 2GB you mentioned before. It is perfectly functional.

Not sure why you would be messing around with this....

If you needed to replace the usb stick theoretically I guess you could you Win32DiskImager, clone the usb stick and its other partitions to a .img, then reflash it to a new USB stick but I wouldn't recommend it nor have I tried it.

EDIT: Also the VMLinux files are from my understanding the linux kernel files needed for the operating system. The md5 files are, well, md5 hashes. Learn more about these here

The way boot-from-USB devices are often implemented include a small boot partition, formatted in fat, then 1 or more larger partitions that are formatted with some linux file system, like ext4, xfs, or similar. What Windows will mount is the fat partitiion is usually very small and contains necessary components (the kernel is the file named vmlinux) to boot and mount any additional partitions.

I cannot stress this enough, though: the USB drive is not a user serviceable part on the USG-3P. Unless you're hardware hacking and don't care about the warranty, you should not attempt to access the storage.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 5421
Solutions: 346

As others noted, it's not something you can read properly in a PC. And you don't want to mess with it regardless. 

@UBNT-cmb When I read your response, I did have an interesting question:  If my onboard USB stick were to fail, is there a way to recover that short of RMA?