Re: USG 3 PORT VOIP PORT WAN 2 FAILOVER?

I have the same problem at one of our sites with USG 3. Primary WAN goes into some limbo state and it doesn't failover to WAN 2 unless unplugged.

It would be nice to know for sure how it determines a failure and if it can be modified.

Kudos: 98
Solutions: 4

[ Edited ]

@dumiller wrote:

Has anyone got reliable results lately with the latest versions of Firmware and UniFi. If so what versions?

I tested this today with success, but read on.  Controller is 5.5.20 on Win7.  USG-3P on FW 4.3.49.  WAN1 is Motorola SB6141 DOCSIS modem on Comcast, WAN2 is a GLi-150M mini-router with WiFi-as-WAN to Verizon smartphone acting as a hotspot.

As expected, unplugging WAN1 Ethernet or powering off the SB6141 resulted in a pretty fast failover, and fail-back was also fast after plugging it back in.  But that's not a real-world test.

Disconnecting the Comcast coax from the back of the SB6141 while it is still powered on and connected to the USG more accurately simulates the typical Comcast outage.  In this case, failover was considerably slower at 2 minutes, but it worked!

I noticed that even when the coax was disconnected, the SB6141 held some of its lights up for a bit indicating that it was still online and had a bonded upstream channel.  Of course it didn't, so I guess it was just trying a few more times before giving up.  At 90 seconds the SB6141 finally dropped its upstream and online lights, but the USG still had not failed over and still had a link light on its Eth port.

At 120 seconds, all the lights on the SB6141 blinked as if it were re-initializing, and when it did this the link light on the USG was also momentarily extinguished.  At that point the USG failed over to WAN2.  I repeated the test with same results.

Hopefully the USG is looking at more than just Eth UP.  While Eth DOWN should of course trigger a fast failover, a threshold of a few seconds is reasonable before doing so (ie: longer than the amount of time the SB6141 toggled its link status).  It's also reaonsable that when Eth is steady UP, the USG allow even more time for a response from its watchdog pings.  So it may just be coincidental (or normal) that these timers for the SB6141 and USG are both at 2 minutes.

Either I need to put a packet sniffer on it, or maybe someone else can confirm the failover logic is finally fixed.

Kudos: 26

It works really well.  We use the second port of our units with Cradelpoints or Mushrooms, and they work really well for failover.

@ShervinF wrote:

It works really well.  We use the second port of our units with Cradelpoints or Mushrooms, and they work really well for failover.

@ShervinF That's great to hear.  Mind sharing some details about what model failover devices you are using, and what is typical on the primary side?

OK, the forums are acting really goofy today.  I posted this earlier, but it disappeared.  It was still in my browser cache so I'm posting again....

@dumiller wrote:

Has anyone got reliable results lately with the latest versions of Firmware and UniFi. If so what versions?

I tested this today with success, but read on.  Controller is 5.5.20 on Win7.  USG-3P on FW 4.3.49.  WAN1 is Motorola SB6141 DOCSIS modem on Comcast, WAN2 is a GLi-150M mini-router with WiFi-as-WAN to Verizon smartphone acting as a hotspot.

As expected, unplugging WAN1 Ethernet or powering off the SB6141 resulted in a pretty fast failover, and fail-back was also fast after plugging it back in.  But that's not a real-world test.

Disconnecting the Comcast coax from the back of the SB6141 while it is still powered on and connected to the USG more accurately simulates the typical Comcast outage.  In this case, failover was considerably slower at 2 minutes, but it worked!

I noticed that even when the coax was disconnected, the SB6141 held some of its lights up for a bit indicating that it was still online and had a bonded upstream channel.  Of course it didn't, so I guess it was just trying a few more times before giving up.  At 90 seconds the SB6141 finally dropped its upstream and online lights, but the USG still had not failed over and still had a link light on its Eth port.

At 120 seconds, all the lights on the SB6141 blinked as if it were re-initializing, and when it did this the link light on the USG was also momentarily extinguished.  At that point the USG failed over to WAN2.  I repeated the test with same results.

Hopefully the USG is looking at more than just Eth UP.  While Eth DOWN should of course trigger a fast failover, a threshold of a few seconds is reasonable before doing so (ie: longer than the amount of time the SB6141 toggled its link status).  It's also reaonsable that when Eth is steady UP, the USG allow even more time for a response from its watchdog pings.  So it may just be coincidental (or normal) that these timers for the SB6141 and USG are both at 2 minutes.

Either I need to put a packet sniffer on it, or maybe someone else can confirm the failover logic is finally fixed.

Kudos: 26

We use them at our Races.  We have a road group, that goes between the different NHRA tracks.  Our Trailers, TV Compound, Timing System, are on on a Unifi System.  Each has a small USG, with the exception of our TV compound that currently uses a USG-Pro.  The Primary connections for the different USGs are different depending on the track. they can range from a slow DSL, to gigabit Fiber.  Our backup circuits are usually, an aggregated Cellular Circuit, using Mushroom to bond them, or just a single SIM cradlepoint.

When our trailers get to the site, they get power, and will actually run on the secondary circuit (cellular), while we setup the primary circuit.  As soon as the primary is hooked up to WAN1, the USG will switch over.  We've also experienced where the primary will drop, and the WAN2 will kick in.  in most cases our users will just notice a slow connection.

There is no keep alive/pulse check, so it only really detects if the ethernet is up.  I'd really like to see a better interface of doing a life check for failover.  One other thing I haven't checked is whether I can access the Cellular modem or get into my system (via VPN) using the cellular modem, while the main WAN circuit is active.

Kudos: 1

Same here, I have one two laggy connections, both use normal modems. And of course they don't disable their ethernet ports. (why should they).

I think this is a big lie to call this a failover, its simply not.

As far as I can see its not even on the feature roadmap...

I am thinking about refunding the USG and getting some other devices...

@ShervinF wrote:

We use them at our Races.  We have a road group, that goes between the different NHRA tracks.  Our Trailers, TV Compound, Timing System, are on on a Unifi System.  Each has a small USG, with the exception of our TV compound that currently uses a USG-Pro.  The Primary connections for the different USGs are different depending on the track. they can range from a slow DSL, to gigabit Fiber.  Our backup circuits are usually, an aggregated Cellular Circuit, using Mushroom to bond them, or just a single SIM cradlepoint.

When our trailers get to the site, they get power, and will actually run on the secondary circuit (cellular), while we setup the primary circuit.  As soon as the primary is hooked up to WAN1, the USG will switch over.  We've also experienced where the primary will drop, and the WAN2 will kick in.  in most cases our users will just notice a slow connection.

There is no keep alive/pulse check, so it only really detects if the ethernet is up.  I'd really like to see a better interface of doing a life check for failover.  One other thing I haven't checked is whether I can access the Cellular modem or get into my system (via VPN) using the cellular modem, while the main WAN circuit is active.

NHRA - I am a fan!  Will have to keep an eye out next time at a race!

This is a great story.  More robust failover management and configuration is something I'm very interested in, too, including inbound.  I'm considering the Peplink Max-BR1-Mini as the LTE device, which offers cloud management and OOBM to a console port.

@Eun wrote:

As far as I can see its not even on the feature roadmap...

This is overdue for an update, but you'll find a few mentions of multi-WAN here:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/USG-Feature-Roadmap-January-2017-update/td-p/1...

Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

Cloud Key controller version 5.6.22

USG version 4.4.8.5023698

WAN1 = Comcast cable modem

WAN2 = AT&T U-Verse NVG589 gateway

Gateway > Config > Advanced > Echo Server = ping.ubnt.com

Unscrewing the coax cable from the Comcast modem resulted in a failover after about 5 minutes.

Screwing the cable back in never reverted back to Comcast until the USG was rebooted, which naturally came up on WAN1 with the Comcast connection.

It seems that even with the latest firmware the failover does not behave as expected nor desired. I prepared a cheat sheet for my clients to do what the automation can't seem to do.

1) Transmit the minimum power necessary, no more.
2) CLEAN POWER is essential for all computerized devices; U.P.S. or GTFO!
3) If it aint broke, don't fix it

I did some tests on v6.6.22 (and 4.4.8.5023698 on the USG) a couple of weeks ago, also with poor results.  Slow fail-over and slow fail-back, but it did fail-back.

I then left the 4G failover router connected and online, and though I'm not aware of any failure on the primary connection, the USG decided to fail-over again and never failed back.  I let it run for 2 days before killing it.  Performance was good with several PC's and other clients on the LAN/WLAN, but it was really burning up GB's on the data meter.

Newer firmware has since been released, so I'll update things and line up another test soon.

Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

@GreggC wrote:
Newer firmware has since been released, so I'll update things and line up another test soon.

If you mean the 4.4.12 for the USG there's no way I'm updating to that. There's a thread on here listing a number of problems with it, so no thank you!

1) Transmit the minimum power necessary, no more.
2) CLEAN POWER is essential for all computerized devices; U.P.S. or GTFO!
3) If it aint broke, don't fix it

@BoteMan wrote:

If you mean the 4.4.12 for the USG there's no way I'm updating to that. There's a thread on here listing a number of problems with it, so no thank you!

Thanks for the heads-up!

Emerging Member
Kudos: 16

Well, I am running controller 5.7.15 with firmware 4.4.18 and still can't get failover to work. WAN1 is DHCP cable modem, WAN2 is DHCP 4G LTE modem, both are getting public IP's.

Sometime after enabling failover, WAN1 will report failure even though it is up and failover to WAN2. After a while WAN2 will show failover as well. Using show load-balance status and watchdog shows echo to ping.ubnt.com is failing.

I have tried setting different DNS servers for both WAN's, change echo server to an IP address, but none seem to have an effect as the watchdog keeps using ping.ubnt.com

I think this option is important enough that it should get looked in be development team.

[ Edited ]

I too think it's really odd to include this even as a beta feature with such a fundamental mismatch with the most common use case. I love the stuff these guys put out, just seems like they need more software developers!

What seems more odd to me as a developer is that this works as one would expext on the edge router lite, the same hardware as the USG, all we need here is the GUI/Unifi[ed] interface to the code that works for the edge routers. To me, it would seem there are far too many disparate code bases in use.

[ Edited ]

I am using a USG3 firmware V.4.4.22.5086045 with a Cloud Key version V.5.8.28-11052-1.

I have a Netgear LB2120 as a 4G WAN2 Failover device being used as dedicated 4G modem with DHCP for WAN2 (no inline failover).

The issue is the Failover is a pile of rubbish. When WAN1 returns to up state, the USG will use WAN1 and NAT for inbound traffic but without ANY notifications that the WAN2 is still in use, will use it (WAN2) for out bound traffic in most cases - EXCEPT for ICMP traffic which will use WAN1. The only hint was that the dashboard reported the Latency and Throughput as Orange instead of Black. - NO NOTIFICATIONS despite being configured for "Gateway Event".

This was an expensive lesson in 4G bills over 12 hours that Unifi - however much I have supported you in the past - cannot be trusted. This is a ridiculous situatiuon that the router clearly doesn't function as described. Failover - More like Fail-ing at being a router over and over again.

I really hope this kind of feedback hits hard as there is just no way you can expect professionals to adopt your equipment with these kinds of hopeless failures. Please stop puting features into "stable releases" that don't work, or are missing large portions of functionality. ie WAN2 without the ability to address it from the GUI in the firewall or NAT from WAN2 to internal. If you don't understand by now that your primary market are GUI using folk, then remove the features from the GUI all together and have "expert mode" for CLI and clearly advertise it as such.

Highlighted

My god! Thank you! How come such an easy solution took me 4 days to find on here