Kudos: 2

USG - DHCP Server how to list all connected clients

Hi,

I have a TP-Link TL-SG1016PE switch, it was set to DHCP although it never showed in my list of devices and I couldn't find it on the network. So i reset it and changed it to a static IP of 192.168.99.2. Now I can find it as I know the IP. The switch works fine and never had any issues.

Why doesn't the USG's DHCP server show this as a connected client?

How can I use the controller or USG to show me all devices on my network?

Thanks,

CaptureS2.PNG

Established Member
Kudos: 305
Solutions: 119

Re: USG - DHCP Server how to list all connected clients

@Glion

Hi, if you want all infos' the controller and the USG can provide, get a UniFi switch.

Please reward people who have helped you with kudo's and mark your thread as solved when you receive a solution to your issue.

If I buy the cheapest router on the market the inbuilt DHCP server would be able to give me a list of connected devices. If I plug a network printer in I would expect to be able to go to the DHCP and see it in a address list. 

Does the USG/Controller setup not have this ability?

Or if there is a better way to do this please let me know...

Kudos: 40
Solutions: 10

Do you have the issue with all other DHCP clients on your network or just the switch? My setup will show all LAN clients, static and DHCP, in the client list. If you go to "Insights --> Known Clients" and you choose "All" does it show up in that list?

Hi,

The switch wont show, I plugged in 2 printers to see if they would show up and yes, but the IP addresses are missing.

I've looked in to the missing IP address and this appears to be a issue that has been around for years, I assume it can't be fixed.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/IP-Addresses-missing-not-displaying/td-p/17616...

I used to have a AirRouterHP it was cheap and worked great, I decided to up grade to a USG & AP-AC-Lite, I later worked out the USG is missleading and the controller is not built in. So I brought a Cloud Key. Now it seems the I'm struggling with basic DHCP issues due to bugs. I like UniFi but if there is no intention to fix this soon. I'll have to send it back for a refund.

I'm not a networking pro. Am I missing somthing.... Do i not need to know the IP address is there a better way?

Captures3.PNG
Established Member
Kudos: 371
Solutions: 53

Are you sure the printers are set to DHCP? Are they brand new printers or have been used before?

[ Edited ]

Yes, printers are both set to DHCP, I can view the webpage of one by guessing the IP address of 192.168.99.106

So the printer is there its connected via DHCP, yet the IP addresses wont show.

Established Member

Okay. Have you rebooted the USG and controller? I have to do that sometimes. Its just glitches happening in the software. Its not perfect, not even close. But it should be showing you a valid IP address for all devices.

Just rebooted the USG still no IP address showing.

Established Member

What about the controller?
Kudos: 3

I get frustrated with the controller not showing all clients that have been handed an IP, and I think it's something they should definitely fix. If a client isn't listed in the controller, I can always SSH into the USG and see the complete list there: 

show dhcp leases pool <whatever_your_pool_name_is>

Highlighted
Emerging Member
Kudos: 19

I didn’t know I could pull dhcp leases like that, it will help me a lot because I couldn’t figure out how to do it with the API.

Now I can script a DNS update for my Pihole DNS servers to serve local IPs that the USG hands out with DNS.