Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)
Kudos: 77
Solutions: 7

Re: USG DPI - Detail level

No, NOT TRUE.
Running 4.3.33.4936086 and guess what, it does not show SFA of the traffic actually going through the USG.

Please get your facts straight.
SuperUser
Kudos: 2112
Solutions: 400

[ Edited ]

@Lost-Benji wrote:
No, NOT TRUE.
Running 4.3.33.4936086 and guess what, it does not show SFA of the traffic actually going through the USG.

OK, I'm gonna pose as the layman here. What exactly means SFA in this context?

Redcon IT Solutions - Florianópolis/SC/Brazil -www.redcon.com.br
Kudos: 3002
Solutions: 40

@Lost-Benji wrote:
No, NOT TRUE.

ONLY OFFLOADED traffics will be DPI-ed. 

Give out Kudo & Accept as Solution if you find a post which saved you, it helps keep the contributors motivated. ;-)

[FR] Include support for USB Cellular Stick in USG/EdgeRouter. - https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching-Feature/Include-support-for-USB-Cellular-Stick-in-USG/idi-p/1906099

@R4V3R wrote:

@Lost-Benji wrote:
No, NOT TRUE.

I searched SFA on Google and found Scottish Football Association. 😂

Give out Kudo & Accept as Solution if you find a post which saved you, it helps keep the contributors motivated. ;-)

[FR] Include support for USB Cellular Stick in USG/EdgeRouter. - https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching-Feature/Include-support-for-USB-Cellular-Stick-in-USG/idi-p/1906099
SuperUser

@jacktooandroid wrote:

@R4V3R wrote:

@Lost-Benji wrote:
No, NOT TRUE.

I searched SFA on Google and found Scottish Football Association. 😂

Google says Sales Force Automation to me, but I doubt that would be recognized and shown as such by the USG DPI, if that's the case...

Emerging Member
Kudos: 15
Solutions: 1

I would be happy to give someone from Ubiquiti access to my controller to see what I am seeing.

I have no complex settings, firewall rules, QoS, etc. The only thing I had to enable via a configure file was UPnP. So I assume everything is being hardware offloaded. But I see wildly inaccurate DPI stats which are out of step with the general statistics for each client, and like I said the Category breakdowns by client don't add up to the category total.

show ubnt offload gives:
IP offload module : loaded
IPv4
forwarding: enabled
vlan : enabled
pppoe : enabled
gre : disabled
export : disabled
dpi : enabled
IPv6
forwarding: enabled
vlan : enabled
pppoe : disabled

Guess we will have to wait for the DPI Retention feature to be out to solve all of the DPI problems. My DPIs are never accurate. 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 5

If it does not work well or nobody knows how to interpret anything, why activate it?

Right now I do not know what real use to give the information of the dpi as it is not useful or practical for anyone.

Kudos: 2

I recommend disabling it for now. If you are willing, I've had good success with enabling SNMP and using LibreNMS with my old (pre Unifi) network and will continue to use it for now.

Kudos: 294
Solutions: 16

It is confusing, though, even if accurate.  For instance I see 43GB of "Unknown" traffic, and when I drill into it, suddenly isn't only 501MB of traffic.  The 500 adds up, so where are the unaccounted for 42.6GBs?

Same when I drill into Dropbox, it shows me 90.0GB of traffic, which is probably true, but non of the clients shows even 1 GB of traffic, so it's confusing.

DPI_Dropbox.png
DPI_Unknown.png
Kudos: 3

I've noticed the same thing.  I see these large buckets, but when drilled into.. I can't see anything using nearly that amount.

Kudos: 4

It provides more information than having nothing on.

The problem for me is that once I start to see what it provides I fully realize how much it does not provide!

Established Member
Kudos: 278
Solutions: 37

@UBNT-cmb wrote:

DPI stats retention is in progress, currently being reviewed for merge in 5.5.x. 

@Lost-Benji wrote:

DPI doesn't work. Wrong readings all the time.

Not true. What people perceive as "wrong readings" is mostly misperception of what it's actually showing. The stats retention addresses the bulk of that. A secondary issue where traffic was wrongly bypassing hardware offload, also bypassing DPI and hence not counted, was fixed in USG v4.3.33. 

If a time or a time scale was added to the DPI screens, on every screen, everything would be a lot clearer.

Right now, who knows over what length of time the numbers account for.

It seems like the DPI feature is only showing clients when they are currently using data in that category, once the client stops using the website or data then it drops from the list. Id say the DPI feature is working.... but not as intended. It lets you track how much and what kind of data is moving across your network but it DOES NOT allow you to see which clients are doing what.

Kudos: 4

I'm experimenting with Astaro/Sophos UTM and it is providing an (almost) excessive level of detail.
It is now candidate to replace the USG that is my current dual wan gateway that replaced recently (a few months ago) my old Netgear FSG336v2.
The DPI feature was one of the deciding factors for the USG, but the implementation is not at the level I expected/hoped for.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 5985
Solutions: 360

@jlee92 wrote:

It seems like the DPI feature is only showing clients when they are currently using data in that category, once the client stops using the website or data then it drops from the list. Id say the DPI feature is working.... but not as intended. 

That is how it works, and how it's intended to work as initially implemented. Not how it should work though, that's what we're changing with the work we're currently testing. Initial results are good, we should get this into 5.6.x controller. 

Thats great to to hear cmb, I will definitely be looking forward to it! Thank you for the clarification. 

Any suggestions on seperating the DPI data per network. For example Id like to track my employees but I could care less about the guest network. In my paticular situation we have more guest than employees so the data is extremely skewed and not useful. Is there anyway to disable DPI statistics for guest devices, via UI or CLI?

SuperUser

@jlee92 wrote:

Any suggestions on seperating the DPI data per network. For example Id like to track my employees but I could care less about the guest network. In my paticular situation we have more guest than employees so the data is extremely skewed and not useful. Is there anyway to disable DPI statistics for guest devices, via UI or CLI?

No, at least not right now.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 31

Any update on when the DPI statistics for category should be similar in size when drilling into each client? This is the only thing that bothers me, considering everything else runs perfectly.