Kudos: 2
Accepted Solution

USG Dashboard shows orange latency and Throughput

[ Edited ]

Hello,

yesterday I transferred my MikroTik setup to a full Ubnt setup with a USG3p, 16ports switch and a AC PRO accesspoint. In my test setup I had my USG connected to a Lan port on the Mikrotik and all icons where green.

When I hook up my USG directly to my Ziggo(Cable ISP) modem the logo's become orange.

But I can not find why this is happening. Any suggestions?

As shown in the attached image, I run 5.2.7 from a cloudkey in the same subnet.

Also, I have no problems using my connection fully. (150/15Mbps)

Capture.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 19
Solutions: 1

Re: USG Dashboard shows orange latency and Throughput

Mine did this too, even though it was online and everything seemed to be working fine.  I had made some changes with the routing and gateway.  I found out i also needed to go to the Setup Web Page for the USG, you know the one you went to before you adopted it?  I had to re-setup the info until it reported it was "online" again.

View solution in original post

Emerging Member
Kudos: 26
Solutions: 2

My issue was a DNS issue.   If the USG can't get to the DNS (or the DNS is wrong), the Latency/Speed turns yellow.  This is even if the case is that the secondary DNS (if configured) is reachable.

With your primary service going down, this may well be your issue.  Change the system DNS to one that is reachable and see what happens.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 71
Solutions: 6

I get the same thing and all I can put it down to is some stupid setting internally that keeps testing latenacy and throughput to some foriegn server on a crappy connection. 

I have a 200/200 connection with a round trip of 7ms to our DC, but NO, the bloody USG tells me I am always over 160ms and crappy throughput. 

Come on UBNT, we dont all live in your home town and don't care for your servers.

There is no need to be so negative. But I agree that things are a bit unclear.

The funny thing is, I had green screens when there was an extra hop in the route but now it is orange.

Established Member
Kudos: 235
Solutions: 11

Dont worry. ive had the same thing, after my fibre connection went down for 10 minutes.

my controller is on a cloud key, and it took about 30 minutes of online time before the orange baloon went green so i could an actual speed test.

dont worry. its working, give it time to connect to whatever it is connecting to and it will turn green.

Kudos: 1

Is your Ziggo router in bridge mode? Or still acting as router?

If ziggo didn't change anything, the modem should be in bridge mode.

The wanport has een external IP so I am pretty sure it is in bridge mode.

Kudos: 1

I guess you rebooted everything already once.

What model Ziggo router is it? TechiColor, Cisco...?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 12

Seems it would be a nice feature to define the latency test target, and perhaps the throughput test target (with associated instructions on how to setup the endpoint). That way you could define your own performance targets/metrics and have it set to alert if the results are outside of the threshold you've defined. (assuming the functionality was added/available).

Kudos: 19
Solutions: 1

Mine did this too, even though it was online and everything seemed to be working fine.  I had made some changes with the routing and gateway.  I found out i also needed to go to the Setup Web Page for the USG, you know the one you went to before you adopted it?  I had to re-setup the info until it reported it was "online" again.

Thank you for this,

I went to the ip adres of the USG, and fidled around with it. Even though its the dumbest thing ever. (set it to DHCP and nothing happens.. you just push some random buttons and wait..)

Also it has a copyright notice from 2014 and zero explination. And it shouldn't have.. if it worked logically.

But now my latency and throughput are black and showing something.

Very weird.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 6

Bumping this old thread as I'm experiencing this issue. I am unable to re-configure my WAN connection in the USG itself because it has to be tagged for a VLAN. Has anyone else seen this or does anyone have a better fix?..
Emerging Member

Bumping this thread up as well.   Over the weekend I changed my USG from routing through my broadband modem to terminating a PPOE session on the USG.  I did this to get away from double NAT and to be able to land my IPv6 peering on the USG instead of another device.

Since then, the bandwidth and latency monitors on the controller are yellow.  It used to show a latency of a flat 29ms, but now it's just 0. Bandwidth seems to be OK.  Trying to log on to the USG HTTPS interface results in "incorrect user/pass" and "Gateway cannot connect to the Internet", despite being connected to the internet and routing traffic.  You can log on to the USG via SSH with the same credentials.  It also appears to take a long time for DNS resolution (eg:  ping google.com from the CLI, the resolution can take up to 5-6 seconds) but it is using the same DNS as everything else. 

This all appeared to have started with changing the WAN type from manual to PPOE.  Anyone seen this before?  Should I just factory reset the USG and go from there?  I'd rather not as it was a complete PITA to set up initially.

USG: 4.3.33.4936086, Controller 5.4.9.

Cheers!

Kudos: 3

That happened to me just now and I am actually happy about it as long as it disappears again.

I have set up a USG with two internet lines of different providers. One of them announced scheduled maintenance and I was actually waiting to see what is going to happen. Well, WLAN1 in the USG is still green but the connection is not working. Traffic is completely going through WLAN2.

Latency and throughput went orange.

Emerging Member

My issue was a DNS issue.   If the USG can't get to the DNS (or the DNS is wrong), the Latency/Speed turns yellow.  This is even if the case is that the secondary DNS (if configured) is reachable.

With your primary service going down, this may well be your issue.  Change the system DNS to one that is reachable and see what happens.

Kudos: 3

Oh, I was actually not complaining Man Happy  As long as everything else is working, this is an indication that my primary WAN has problems and I can monitor it.

That is crazy. I changed my primary DNS from an OpenDNS (208.69.38.205) to Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and now it works just fine!

I already had my secondary DNS on google.

Thanks CNeeson!

Emerging Member

You're welcome. It's a bit rubbish that a failed DNS server either being down or incorrectly configured can cause a key component in the dashboard to fail. It should use a reachable DNS server or at least throw an error in the logs....

What do you think @ubnt-mike?
Emerging Member

Or even @UBNT-MikeD...
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 15434
Solutions: 600
Contributions: 20

The WWW gauges on the dashboard should only be orange under the following circumstances:

• if the gateway uplink is up and the uptime is 0 (this is the WAN uptime, not the physical connection between modem and USG). 
  • if the USG is upgrading. 

For the WAN gaute, it does a ping test to ping.ubnt.com, so if it can't reach that host, then it will show as orange. There may be some bugs with both, and as far as I know they will be looked into.

Cheers,

Mike

Emerging Member

Hi Mike,

It appears to be a pretty simple logic fault.  If the WAN test is to ping a particular host, and it can't resolve the name using the first resolver in the list, it just exits and marks the WAN as down.  Unfortunately, this also is true when trying to access the USG via HTTPS.  The USG reports not being connected to the internet, but it actually is.  

A simple solution would be to mark a non responsive DNS down, and use the second one.  If the second one doesn't resolve, throw an alert that no DNS resolvers available.  Or something like that.. :-)

Cheers,

-colin.