Kudos: 14
Solutions: 1

Re: USG Dashboard shows orange latency and Throughput

[ Edited ]

MikeD, thanks for posting this as it appears to be the same issue I posted in this thread. Besides the bug with WAN uptime, which you appear to be aware of; the Unifi Controller Guide also needs updating, as it doesn't mention the color orange being an option for the WWW gauges.

Kudos: 39
Solutions: 4

The WWW gauges on the dashboard are also orange if you block ICMP traffic with a firewall rule and the USG can't ping the server because of that. WAN uptime will always be zero in that case.

Kudos: 19

I am seeing the same issue but I dont quite understand the issue. I am connected directly to my fiber ONT and internet service is working properly. I am also on the same local ISP with all our other customers and they do not have this issue. Setting the WAN Preferred DNS to 8.8.8.8 did not seem to fix the problem. Is there something I am missing. Could someone explain a bit more as to what is causing me to not be able to run the speedtests?

Controller version is 5.4.15 (Layer 3 adoption)

Thank you

Emerging Member
Kudos: 26
Solutions: 2

Are you referring to the DNS set on the USG itself?   The USG does all of the tests that set the panel in the GUI green.

I found that if the DNS settings at the system level of the USG are wrong, the entire thing goes orange.

Kudos: 2

In my case I had to change primary and secondary dns to pingable addresses. So what do you have configured as secondary dns?

I configured this in the USG.

hey guys, I finally fixed mine last night. To confirm the problem, I pingged ping.ubnt.com from my laptop and got a response. Then I logged into my USG and pingged it and got no response. What I had actually done was added a WAN_Local firewall entry several months ago to disable ping responses on WAN (Thinking this was a good security move). That is what prevented the ping response, thus unifi always throught my WAN was "orange". I hope this helps.

Any updates on checking for bugs.....I am having the same issue....everything is working and I can ping "ping.ubnt.com" and my service is uVerse.....so with reviewing everything above....it is still organge

the USG is at version 4.3.41.4975503

Please advise.

Regards,

dasii99

Emerging Member

I just had this same issue. Root cause is that I fat-fingered my primary DNS server on the USG itself. That is, my primary DNS was pointing to an IP that I was no longer using, but the secondary DNS IP was just fine.

This meant that I could not run the speed test manually - and the circles were orange. Once I fixed the primary DNS and re-provisioned it, the circles went black.

It appears that the USG does not try to use the secondary DNS? At least that is my guess.

Kudos: 1

@FensterB I just recently saw my dashboard go orange and had recently done the same thing as you trying to be more secure. I made sure my dns settings where correct and even whitelisted ping.ubnt.com in my opendns settings. Not until i turned off my wan local rule did it go black.
Just really starting to dive into Networking
Kudos: 9
Solutions: 3

@cneeson wrote:

My issue was a DNS issue.   If the USG can't get to the DNS (or the DNS is wrong), the Latency/Speed turns yellow.  This is even if the case is that the secondary DNS (if configured) is reachable.

With your primary service going down, this may well be your issue.  Change the system DNS to one that is reachable and see what happens.

So I setup a PiHole installation and even though the primary (internal PiHole) and secondary (OpenDNS) are both working and reachable, it's still orange. 

What am I missing?

Same Problem... after enabling IPv6 its orange because the Gateway thinks its offline.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 10
Solutions: 2

[ Edited ]

When this happened to me i logged in to USG's UI and the DNS was missing, net mask and IP was not showing and when re-provisioning there nothing would happen.

When re-provisioning primary DNS and Secondary via Controller also nothing changed.

Then in controller under USG->config->advanced I've changed the ping server from 8.8.8.8 back to ping.ubnt.com and after re-provisionign it all started working, including in the USG's own hosted UI now WAN IP/mask show up correctly.

Not sure if this was a fluke and it got fixed due to different scope of changes during provisioning, and re-adopting the USG would have also solved it - but rebooting and changing DNS only was not enough. Forcing different ping server did that for me.

Kudos: 349

I've been having the same issue for months now.  I've tried everything I can think of to bring it back up.  I can actually see stats when I hover over the WAN area, but its orange and it wont let me select anything.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 51

Thank you

I had created a rule to allow ping, at least i thought so, just double checked and i had set to drop.

updated to accept and now my gauges are back to normal.

Thanks again

Kudos: 144
Solutions: 11

I set the ping server for latency to one of my speedtest sites in Boston and it made the latency much better 9 ms instead of 43 ms to wherever ping.ubnt.com is.  Not sure if high or zero latency causes the orange (surely if you can't resolve the ping server via DNS it will go orange) but you still need good DNS to avoid the orange.  Most times I've had orange and connectivity is still fine.

Here's a pic of the much better latency:

Screenshot from 2018-01-26 15-29-13.png

[ Edited ]

Hello,

my dashboard colour is always orange and the wan uptime 0s but my wan connection works fine:

markus@Router:~$ show load-balance watchdog

Group wan_failover

eth0

pings: 11516

fails: 0

run fails: 0/3

route drops: 0

ping gateway: ping.ubnt.com - REACHABLE

eth2

failover-only mode

pings: 10056

fails: 0

run fails: 0/3

route drops: 1

ping gateway: ping.ubnt.com - REACHABLE

last route drop   : Fri Mar 30 05:36:00 2018

last route recover: Fri Mar 30 05:36:54 2018

Regards

Markus

Kudos: 1

For those that run into the same issue as follows:

Latency/Throughput indicators are yellow

You do have connection to WAN

Logging into the USG directly and the configuration fields are all blank

If you enter the configuration again and click "save", the values revert back to blank

The problem was caused for me because I had modified the "Echo Server" in the controller > Devices > USG > Config > Advanced > Echo Server changed to custom value (valid IP that I confirmed the gateway could reach)

Support indicated this is a known issue, but wouldn't call it a bug. 

If you count on notifications or the indicator to determine if you have an issue developing, consider switching the echo server back to the default value of ping.ubnt.com

Established Member
Kudos: 305
Solutions: 80

[ Edited ]

Is there a way to determine what is causing the gauge to be orange? I opened an SSH session and I can successfully ping ping.ubnt.com. If I have a misconfiguration somewhere, I'd like to fix it.

I go tired of tring everithing.

I have a USG3 connected to two ISPs in a load balancing mode. After a power outage yesterday the two left bubbles area steady orange... no change in any configurarion. CLI shows both links are fine, DNS is fine, router is reachable and ubint.con can be reached as well.

So as this ureliable CK kept on flising white, I fixed the CK ... same bubbles in orange... so decide to transfer my controler where I have some customer sites, a Digital Ocean UBUNTU controlller... same stuff... all my sites are fine exept these with the USG3 which happens to be my home.

Everithing runs fine. If I force a failover, the other link takes full control, and viceversa.

Have restarted the USG three times with no luck... so UBNT.. there you have... hop÷e you fix this unreliable behaviour.

Hi,

I have the same problem and use a custom echo server.

If this problem occurs I can temporary (until router restart) solve it if I change echo server to ping.ubnt.com and then back to my custom echo server. Afterwards latency and throughput is black again.

Regards

Markus