Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2252
Solutions: 202

USG Feature Roadmap - January 2017 update

[ Edited ]

Time for an update to the USG road map, first going over what we've accomplished in the past couple months, then what's in the works and coming soon. The controller side changes are new to 5.5.x unless otherwise noted. 

Recently Implemented (November 2016 to present)

Controller Changes

• LAN2 configuration without VLAN tag implemented.
    • USG Pro in 5.4.8+
    • USG in 5.5.1+
  • L2TP Remote User VPN support added. 
  • RADIUS server support, controller-managed RADIUS server deployed to USG.
  • Removal of artifacts from old Voice network type (unusable since controller v4.x).
  • Generate alerts in controller on USG configuration commit errors so they’re more apparent (usual cause of “stuck provisioning”).
  • Automatic DHCP renew on subnet change - after changing LAN subnet and DHCP range for USG, all switches, APs and cloud key renew their DHCP leases to obtain an IP on the new subnet, so you don’t have to manually trigger them or wait for the lease expiration.
  • Removal of tables in load-balance groups, fixing multi-WAN issues in some edge cases
  • Added validation of DHCP mappings’ IP and MAC addresses to prevent invalid configurations in controller and deployed to USG.
  • Enable DPI by default for new installs and new sites
  • Include networks reachable via static route to corporate or guest network address groups so NAT and firewall rules behave as expected.
  • Refine validation of address group members so reason for validation failure is apparent.
  • Fix remote VPN networks routed to the Internet by policy routing when multi-WAN is in use.
  • Always deploy WAN_OUT ruleset and make configurable in UI.
  • Increase DNS forwarder cache size from 500 to its maximum 10,000.
  • Limit number of configurable DHCP leases to 500,000 to avoid memory exhaustion preventing DHCP server from functioning when attempting huge scopes.

Firmware Changes

Following are in already-released versions unless otherwise noted. 

• Updated speedtest-cli client to latest version and update list of included speedtest.net servers. Fixes scenarios where best speedtest server wasn’t chosen, leading to lower throughput.
  • Fixed performance regression some were experiencing starting with version 4.3.16. 
  • Fix uplink interface reporting with PPPoE and VLAN-tagged WANs. Fixes controller IP change detection with those use cases. Coming in next USG firmware release. 

In Progress / Near Future

• Proper default domain handling for USG and DHCP server.
  • UI control of additional DHCP server options.
  • Registration of fixed IP devices in USG DNS. 
  • Retention of DPI stats data in controller.
  • UPnP UI control
  • mDNS UI control
  • IGMP Proxy UI control
  • conntrack modules UI control
  • DHCP Relay UI control
  • DNS Forwarder UI control
  • mDNS UI control
  • Add DHCP reservation before client is online.
  • DPI blocking support 
  • Move WAN configuration from device panel into Networks screen, and make all USG interfaces usable for any purpose - any interface can be a LAN or WAN.
  • Improved interface UI capabilities - adding MTU, MSS clamping, QoS tagging, MAC spoofing, speed and duplex control. 
  • NAT UI control
  • Policy routing UI control (multi-WAN, others)
  • Virtual IP support (multiple WAN IPs, among other uses)
  • IPv6 support
  • DPI support in passthrough mode or on monitor interface
  • Get up to date with latest EdgeOS 

That doesn't cover all our plans, but at least most of the near-future items. 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 24
Solutions: 1

Re: USG Feature Roadmap - January 2017 update

Is SIP-ALG configuration going to be exposed in the UI?

This is a major barrier for me in deploying these units.

Ubiquiti Employee

Metal-Cloud wrote:

Is SIP-ALG configuration going to be exposed in the UI?

This is a major barrier for me in deploying these units.

Yes, that's part of "conntrack modules". 

You can disable it today easily with config.properties. 

config.ugw.voip.sip_alg_disable=true
Kudos: 116

My top 4 picks

1. Virtual IP support (multiple WAN IPs, among other uses)
  2. NAT UI control
  3. Move WAN configuration from device panel into Networks screen, and make all USG interfaces usable for any purpose - any interface can be a LAN or WAN
  4. IPv6 support

Heart @UBNT-cmb Heart

Kudos: 16

Glad to see the DNS/DHCP enhancements. Any chance we'll ever get  an advanced section with a config tree like in the edge routers?  I really miss that tree. I think it'd buy a lot of time as most things would be available and it would save people from having to create special json files/etc. while you guys build out the interface how you've envisioned.

Kudos: 129

Good list (Thank god for the uPNP and mDNS support), but I was hoping to see some other basics, like DHCP reservation list (I know you can do it on a per device basis, but a single page with all the reservations would be great, also be able to add a offline device ahead of time), DMZ configuration and smarter WiFi channel utilization in auto mode (Something like CleanAir).

I am commited to the UniFi ecosystem, so much so that I sold my ERL on Amazon yesterday, I feel like if you could knock out the basics then you could improve the initial configuration experince and that will go a long way to new customer satisfaction.

Even something like being able to take a set of configure commands, commit them and upload them to the controller to persist them would be an incredible addition. Reprovisioning loops are not fun because you forget a comma. Man Sad

Emerging Member
Kudos: 24

Thanks for the update!

Quick question, does NAT UI control mean outbound NAT rules / mode will be added?
Ubiquiti Employee

Philmatic wrote:

but I was hoping to see some other basics, like DHCP reservation list (I know you can do it on a per device basis, but a single page with all the reservations would be great, also be able to add a offline device ahead of time),

Already can see all of them, under Insights, click Static IP. Adding clients before they're active on the network I intended to have there, added.

Philmatic wrote:
DMZ configuration and smarter WiFi channel utilization in auto mode (Something like CleanAir).

By "DMZ configuration", you mean supporting DMZ interfaces in the traditional sense (which is already possible), or the definition Linksys et. al. have misappropriated for a 1:1 NAT? The former already exists, the latter will be coming as part of "NAT control". 

Wifi has no relation to USG, this is just USG. 

Ubiquiti Employee

Metal-Cloud wrote:
Quick question, does NAT UI control mean outbound NAT rules / mode will be added?

Yes.

Ubiquiti Employee

secureme wrote:

Any chance we'll ever get  an advanced section with a config tree like in the edge routers?  I really miss that tree. I think it'd buy a lot of time as most things would be available and it would save people from having to create special json files/etc. while you guys build out the interface how you've envisioned.

That's one on the longer list, want to get more of the UI basics done first. That's much more involved with a lot of possibilities to end up with broken configs, so we're best off first greatly minimizing circumstances where any kind of manual config is needed. 

Kudos: 78

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the update Man Happy

I assume this is so if a device with a fixed address has a hostname change, then it's reflected in the GUI..

-With my unifi controller, a RPi, I renamed it from 'raspberrypi' to 'unifi', but the hostname hasn't updated in the Unifi clients page.  Not a big deal, but it should be able to do this..

-----

Also, how about a built in Wake On Lan function.

-----

Lastly, is an OpenVPN GUI on the cards some time in the future?  Synology have a working GUI for it on their boxes.

Thanks for all of your efforts since joining the team, looks like a bright future for the USG series!

Kudos: 49
Solutions: 3

@UBNT-cmb Any ETA about the list? Months?

SuperUser
Kudos: 5752
Solutions: 401
Contributions: 1

Awesome feature list. Thanks for the update.
Walks in, tells it like it is, walks out , milks a cow
Kudos: 131
Solutions: 20

Thank you for the update.

I would also like to see a WOL option. I wouldn't think that would be too difficult to add ? Thanks.

Kudos: 12

UBNT-cmb wrote:

Time for an update to the USG road map, first going over what we've accomplished in the past couple months, then what's in the works and coming soon. The controller side changes are new to 5.5.x unless otherwise noted. 

In Progress / Near Future

• Proper default domain handling for USG and DHCP server.
  • UI control of additional DHCP server options.
  • UPnP UI control
  • mDNS UI control
  • IGMP Proxy UI control
  • conntrack modules UI control
  • DHCP Relay UI control
  • DNS Forwarder UI control
  • mDNS UI control
  • Add DHCP reservation before client is online.
  • DPI blocking support 
  • Move WAN configuration from device panel into Networks screen, and make all USG interfaces usable for any purpose - any interface can be a LAN or WAN.
  • Improved interface UI capabilities - adding MTU, MSS clamping, QoS tagging, MAC spoofing, speed and duplex control. 
  • NAT UI control
  • Policy routing UI control (multi-WAN, others)
  • Virtual IP support (multiple WAN IPs, among other uses)
  • IPv6 support
  • Get up to date with latest EdgeOS 

What E.T.A. can we expect for these items?

Next week, month, year?

Having these options means I can run my KPN FTTH with TV from controller all-the-way instead of fiddeling around with the json.

Kudos: 122
Solutions: 25

I'm sure the time is different for each item, and crap happens during development. I think it is unreasonable to ask for a timeframe - any answer is a guess, then people get POed if it doesn't happen.

I expect he would give an answer simar to what I would give - as fast as we correctly can.
Kudos: 16

wvanelten wrote

What E.T.A. can we expect for these items?

Next week, month, year?

Hey, it says January 2017 in the subject line doesn't it? Icon Twisted

Established Member
Kudos: 180
Solutions: 19

UBNT-cmb wrote:

@UBNT-cmb: Wow!!! This is an impressive list. I knew you had been busy, but not the extent. I'm looking forward to this stuff showing up in the release version.

Clearly there is much more to keep you busy for quite some time. I for one am not going to hassle you, because doing so is counter productive.

Thank you so much for your work, and for tolerating people harassing you.

Kudos: 1

Thank you for the update.

I've never messed around with RADIUS (Home install), going to be very interested in trying:

RADIUS server support, controller-managed RADIUS server deployed to USG.

Thank you for all the work you put in :-)

Kudos: 217
Solutions: 10

I'm also interested in trying RADIUS. Will have to create a separate 5 GHz network though. My Ring doorbell isn't compatible with RADIUS (already checked). Won't enable on 2.4 GHz due to a lot of devices that aren't compatible (iFit module for my wife's NordicTrack elliptical, Amazon Dash buttons, etc.).

@UBNT-cmb I'm assuming if you enable RADIUS, that all devices that connect to the network must use RADIUS? (or can they also use a standard password instead for devices that don't support RADIUS?)