Kudos: 14
Solutions: 2

Re: [USG] Firmware v4.4.18 now available

4.4.20dev is working ok, I disabled IDS, IPS and SmartQueue are working fine. The CPU Load is normal, between 1 and 2.

http://tinymailto.com/oliversl <-- my email after a captcha

4.4.20dev is a no go also on a USG 3P. Load tops 9 and traffic drops. I have 3 load balancers, smart queue, port-forward, hair-pin and WAN IP alias. Maybe is a stock configuration works fine.

In my case, the CPU spike is triggered by high traffic between VLAN on the LAN (eth1 since its a USG 3p). Downgrading

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 5646
Solutions: 355

@oliversl wrote:

In my case, the CPU spike is triggered by high traffic between VLAN on the LAN (eth1 since its a USG 3p). Downgrading

Newer controller versions plus newer firmware supporting non-offload DPI, where smart queues are in use, disables hardware offload automatically where DPI is enabled, so non-offload DPI can function. Previously, that only bypassed offload for Internet traffic, so your traffic between VLANs was still offloaded. Where there is a lot of traffic between VLANs, that's a major difference, USG3 doesn't have enough CPU to stand up to high loads with DPI, smart queues, and no offloading. We need to reconsider approach for DPI and smart queues, because of that circumstance. 

Kudos: 12
Solutions: 7

I'm stuck on 4.4.18 on a USG how do I rollback or downgrade. SSH is not working nor is the GUI it keeps stick to 4.4.18

Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

is hardware offloading working with geoip filtering?

Edit: iam asking because i got an usg 4.4.18 with uck 5.7.20.

with activated hw offloading and geo ip filter the gateway is not connecting to the internet. it is not possible to resolve hostnames.

if i deactivate hw offloading the geo ip filter is working. 

with deactivated geo ip filter hw offloading is working

@UBNT-cmbwrote:

... Where there is a lot of traffic between VLANs, that's a major difference, USG3 doesn't have enough CPU to stand up to high loads with DPI, smart queues, and no offloading. We need to reconsider approach for DPI and smart queues, because of that circumstance. 

Can I use 4.4.18 on a USG 3P with only SmartQueue enabled? But keeping offload enabled for ip_forward and vlan? 

Since I have a lot of VLAN traffic, I can not live without offloaded vlan traffic.

I plan to test 4.4.18 again and enabling offload with:

set system offload ipv4 forwarding enable
set system offload ipv4 vlan enable

Will it work?

Many thanks

Oliver

@nscchickenwrote:

I'm stuck on 4.4.18 on a USG how do I rollback or downgrade. SSH is not working nor is the GUI it keeps stick to 4.4.18

You can try reset to default by pressing the reset button, until the WAN2 stop blinking, like 12 seconds. Then, connect it to a temporary new Manager, setup DNS, then downgrade it by running the upgrade command via ssh.

You need to do a custom firmware update to the previous release via the unifi controller. You can go to the ubnt downloads site and find that versions link and then put it in the custom firmware update area while managing the USG-Pro-4. That is what me back up and running.
Kudos: 2

Same behavior here.

Capture.JPG

Emerging Member
Kudos: 19

[ Edited ]

Upgraded to this today.
Lost PING and SSH from WAN

Verified that I followed this guide:

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003146787-UniFi-How-to-Disable-ICMP-over-WAN-with-USG-

I tested directly from the upstream gateway on the WAN side and nothing form there either. Since it should respond from PIN on WAN from any source... this is odd.

Any help would be appricated.

Was on 4.4.12 and everything was working. Might have to downgrade.

Kudos: 1

[ Edited ]

Ever since I upgraded to 4.4.18 I am seeing random WAN drops which didn't occur with 4.4.12.

I ahve a DrayTek Vigor 130 as modem. 

The only way to get a connection again is to restart the USG, it does not seem to be able to reconnect by itself. Also tried restarting the modem first but that never worked. It defenitely is the USG that somehow drops the WAN connection.

Anyone else experience this and maybe have a solution?

Thanks.

Kudos: 1

Went back to 4.4.12 and all is working again as it should...
Kudos: 2

[ Edited ]

i run in the same problem. now the usg does not have a conection to the internet.

i need help with ssh. when i copy the file with scp i get the message 

/Users/k/Desktop/upgrade.tar: No such file or directory

but the file is on my desktop (mac)

but how i can copy the file to the usg?

---------------

i found my problem, forget to use cd ...

and yes, the 4.4.12 is running verry good.

with 4.4.18 many dropouts and at least no conection to the internet. i checked many things, but only the move to 4.4.12 is the working way.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 19

Downgraded on all 4 test USG. Note: 2xUSG3p and 2xUSG4p
Emerging Member
Kudos: 10

Any news on a fixed 4.4.18 new version that actually works? like a 4.5.x version that is not alpha release like this one?

Kudos: 80

[ Edited ]

I am downgrading.

DHCP offer response failing on all test units.

Update:

I did a Factory Rest on the USG and re-adopted it.

It appears that this has corrected the issue for now. Will update in 2-3 days to see if what others have reported is also happening with DHCP where the offers stop.

Kudos: 243

[ Edited ]

Controller: 5.7.20

For what it is worth, I found the hosts file being iopening and closed constently and DNSMASQ running very high loads 99%. As such, DHCP was not working and DNS was failing. More or less we were dead. In looking with a friend as to what we could find we noticed that under...

Controller Settings ---> Services ---> DHCP the option was ON for "Register Client Host Names From DHCP Requests in USG DNS Forwarder"

Thus the file was being open/writen/closed and thus flooded with every connection made.

We turned that OFF and loads dropped right down. (I do not see the need for the option to be on for what is guest network for a park.)

I do not recall if this was a setting in prior versions of Controllers and maybe it was just coincidence the issue just stopped when I turned it off.  And yes, I did bring this to Ubnt attention support ticket and all.  I am STILL to this day waiting for a reply from Level 3 who it was sent to. (I got a note from a Level 3 tech asking for more info which I provided and never heard back.)

Just a thought.

EDIT: It may be good to note we had about 450 clients/guest devices attached. 

UniFi Protect - Need to be able to TURN OFF IR LED's, but not the processing needed to use IR.

"IR LED FEATURE REQUEST" POSTED....

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Protect-Feature-Requests/TURN-OFF-IR-LEDS-for-use-Behind-Windows/idi-p/2636108

Please be so kind and KUDO the feature request.
screenshot_1935.png
screenshot_1934.png
Kudos: 108

Very interesting!  

I upgraded to the 5.7.20 controller and I see the "Register client hostnamefrom DHCP requests in USG DNS forwarder" setting as ON.  I am on USG 4.4.12 firmware and have have not upgraded to 4.4.18 because of the experiences shared here.

Can we get more advice on this setting?  Also what is the current advice/consensus, should we wait for the next firmware instead of 4.4.18?

Kudos: 3

@spacemonkey2wrote:

Also what is the current advice/consensus, should we wait for the next firmware instead of 4.4.18?

Definately should wait. 4.4.18 is very buggy, has performance problems and is something that users shouldn't install.