Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 5367
Solutions: 344

Re: [USG] Firmware v4.4.29 now available

@bergqvist wrote:

I'm having problem with .29 aswell... Goes into a adoption loop... 

Stays Adopting for about 5 min then disconnected and the Adopting 5 min again and so on...

May be your case that I was working on Saturday via support escalation, if not, the likely cause of that is USG being readopted with the wrong inform URL. A bug fix in 4.4.27 and newer in unifi-util ended up breaking things where they shouldn't have worked to start. If the controller has multiple interfaces, it might send devices the wrong interface IP to use for adoption. If USG's sent an IP that it can't communicate with, it'll fail to adopt, and continually be readopting. Earlier versions didn't correctly use the inform URL they were sent. 

Check server.log on the controller for log lines with "Try Adopt", note the "url=" part of that log line. If that's showing the wrong IP, that's why it can't adopt. The most common reason I've seen recently on Linux is having Docker installed and it using the docker0 interface IP, which can't be reached on the network. If that's not the right IP, you'll need to go to Settings, Controller, fill in the correct IP or hostname under "Controller Hostname/IP", check the "Override inform host with controller hostname/IP" box, and Apply Changes. Then in a couple minutes the in-progress attempt will time out and it'll adopt with the correct IP and succeed. 

[ Edited ]

Dear all,

I have an USG 3 and the controller 5.8.30 on a FreeNAS VM with Debian.

IDS on. Speed test not active.

I am using Unifi products since last December, so not really experinced.

I was runnung my USG with 4.4.22 for a very long time, without any problem.

But since 4.4.28 and 4.4.29 I do get disconnects - since .28 and .29. SInce that 7 or 8.

If the disconnect occures, the blue light is on at the USG, but no reaction for ssh or 192.168.1.1.

The only thing I can do is to diconenct the power ans restart the USG. At least I have no other idea what to do.

Twice the disconnect did happen after a long download of more than 5-6GB.

Any suggestion? Flashing back to 4.4.22? or flashing once more 4.4.29.

Can I provide any logs from the UGS and if where can I find them?

Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks.

Kudos: 2
Solutions: 2

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-cmb Just did my upgrade for the USG. Controller (Running on Windows server) is 5.8.30
After upgrade, my USG shows STUN error. How to fix this ?
Last update was a AP (AP AC LITE), and this also showed STUN error. Had to SSH into device and reset cache and factory reset it to get STUN error to go away. Dont wanna factory reset my USG though......

Ideas ???

Kudos: 91
Solutions: 11

@Floppsi When you experience a disconnect that usually means that you see the USG red (disconnected) in the controller.

Be aware that in can well be that the USG then operates normally as it was configured (provisioned) - it routes traffic and is connected to internet - but holds no stable connection to the controller.

So please confirm what you call disconnected...

Open https://<USG-ip> And share what you see.

Volker
5 Sites, 2x USG3P, US-16-150W, US-8-150W, 3x US-8-60W, 2x UAP-AC-PRO, 6x UAP-AC-M, 2xLBE-5AC-23, Central site: Dual WAN (LB) with T-Hybrid (50m) and FBOX7490 (16m). Kudos accepted.
Kudos: 52

I was going to upgrade from v4.4.28, but if anything, this thread has convinced me to wait yet again...

Kudos: 1

Upgraded from 4.4.18 to 4.4.29, and I get a "Server Reject" when I do a set-inform. I never see the request in the controller logs, but doing a curl from the USG to the controller is logged (and there is connectivity).

Looks like a downgrade is (again) in my future. Man Sad

Luke

I'm new to the Unifi product line. Based on previous experience, how quickly can we expect a fix? (i.e., hours, days, weeks, months, etc.)

Thanks

@V42 thaks for the help.

Here some more information:

• Yes Controlelr shows in red disconnected
  • USG shows blue light.
  • I have Radius activate some time ago, because I was interesseted in how it is working. I think because of that no computer can connect to Wifi anymore in that state. Seems the Radius Server is not rachable for the connection request.
  • If I connect my notebook via cabel to the switch, I can reach the controller
  • But "ssh admin@192.168.1.1" I get no response - if I restart the USG I can reach it.
  • https://192.168.1.1 not possible to open. Safari displays the standard page that it can not connect the page.
  • any internet page not possible to open.

Because of that I do a power rest - no idea what to do for recover.

Thanks

Florian

Ubiquiti Employee

@faswva wrote:

@erusk wrote:

@faswva wrote:

@UBNT-cmb wrote:

@faswva wrote:

@erusk wrote:

Do you have DHCP information in a config.gateway.json, by chance?  I had this same thing recently.  It was because of a naming change.  Had to update my json to reflect the new network names.

I don't recall anything like that but I will have a look.

That's my guess as well. That message comes up when there are duplicate "shared-network-name" entries for the same subnet, and that's the only circumstance where I've heard of or seen that. 

Looking at the config.gateway.json pulled down from the Cloud Key and the one from the USG Pro.

I don't see any obvious differences in the DCHP sections.  Network names appear to be the same.

How would I know that anything has changed? It there a way to compare what the USG Pro has vs. the Cloud Key?

FWIW, I haven't made any naming or configuration changes since I first installed/set up my system.

Are you both suggesting that the firmware upgrade would have overwritten something on the USG Pro so that, now, there is a naming mis-match between it and the Cloud Key?

Should I take this up with Ubiquiti support?

Thanks for your comments and help!

SSH into your USG and do a:

show configuration commands | grep dhcp

In the output, look for the sections like:

set service dhcp-server shared-network-name net_Guest_eth1_192.168.1.0-24

Then compare to your config.gateway.json file.  When I had this issue I think it's because my json didn't have the interface name (eth1) and one of the later controller updates starting adding that.  Changing my json to include the interface name like the controller was now pushing out fixed the issue.

@erusk

I did as you suggested but still see no differences.  

What I don't see is any interface assignements in the names - no "eth1", etc., in any of the configs.

The ethX part of that is new to controller versions with port remapping support, 5.8.x and newer. 5.6.x and 5.7.x had diff naming conventions than 5.5.x and earlier, as the previous naming convention could result in an invalid dhcpd conf file with certain network names (IIRC if the network name started with a non-alphanumeric character). 

Ubiquiti Employee

@badchad112 wrote:

What is the URL for the USG?

The download links are in the blog post linked in the first post of this thread. 

Ubiquiti Employee

@LukeK wrote:

Upgraded from 4.4.18 to 4.4.29, and I get a "Server Reject" when I do a set-inform. I never see the request in the controller logs, but doing a curl from the USG to the controller is logged (and there is connectivity).

"Server Reject" means it's getting an error code in response from the inform URL it's using. It doesn't appear any such error condition would go unlogged in the controller. Noticed your other thread, I'll reply there so it doesn't get buried here. 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 9
Solutions: 2

@UBNT-cmb wrote:

... The most common reason I've seen recently on Linux is having Docker installed and it using the docker0 interface IP, which can't be reached on the network. If that's not the right IP, you'll need to go to Settings, Controller, fill in the correct IP or hostname under "Controller Hostname/IP", check the "Override inform host with controller hostname/IP" box, and Apply Changes. Then in a couple minutes the in-progress attempt will time out and it'll adopt with the correct IP and succeed. 

I'm about to install Docker (for UNMS) on my Unifi controller, is that a bad idea?

Just upgraded from .28, went very smoothly.

I was sure to upgrade and restart the controller PRIOR to upgrading as not following that advice caused problems the last time I upgraded.

Upgraded my USG Pro to 4.4.29 but missed the info to upgrade controller from 28 to 30 first.

This resulted in the USG Pro getting stuck in Upgrading.

Updated the controller to .30 and the USG now upgraded successfully. 

However, now it shows as Disconnected in the controller but everything works as expected. Even VPN to the Site via cloudKey Radius.

Would be great to have the USG back Online in the controller. Any suggestions to fix without physical access to the site?

Is UBNT working on this bug, maybe via controller update? The Support team got the USG logs.

Established Member
Kudos: 313
Solutions: 38

@trobbelke wrote:

@UBNT-cmb wrote:

... The most common reason I've seen recently on Linux is having Docker installed and it using the docker0 interface IP, which can't be reached on the network. If that's not the right IP, you'll need to go to Settings, Controller, fill in the correct IP or hostname under "Controller Hostname/IP", check the "Override inform host with controller hostname/IP" box, and Apply Changes. Then in a couple minutes the in-progress attempt will time out and it'll adopt with the correct IP and succeed. 

I'm about to install Docker (for UNMS) on my Unifi controller, is that a bad idea?

I run UNMS and UniFi on the same VM, no problems.

110+ sites / 100+ routers / 200+ switches / 300+ aps
UniFi / EdgeMAX / AirMAX / AirFiber

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-cmb wrote:

@faswva wrote:

@erusk wrote:

@faswva wrote:

@UBNT-cmb wrote:

@faswva wrote:

@erusk wrote:

Do you have DHCP information in a config.gateway.json, by chance?  I had this same thing recently.  It was because of a naming change.  Had to update my json to reflect the new network names.

I don't recall anything like that but I will have a look.

That's my guess as well. That message comes up when there are duplicate "shared-network-name" entries for the same subnet, and that's the only circumstance where I've heard of or seen that. 

Looking at the config.gateway.json pulled down from the Cloud Key and the one from the USG Pro.

I don't see any obvious differences in the DCHP sections.  Network names appear to be the same.

How would I know that anything has changed? It there a way to compare what the USG Pro has vs. the Cloud Key?

FWIW, I haven't made any naming or configuration changes since I first installed/set up my system.

Are you both suggesting that the firmware upgrade would have overwritten something on the USG Pro so that, now, there is a naming mis-match between it and the Cloud Key?

Should I take this up with Ubiquiti support?

Thanks for your comments and help!

SSH into your USG and do a:

show configuration commands | grep dhcp

In the output, look for the sections like:

set service dhcp-server shared-network-name net_Guest_eth1_192.168.1.0-24

Then compare to your config.gateway.json file.  When I had this issue I think it's because my json didn't have the interface name (eth1) and one of the later controller updates starting adding that.  Changing my json to include the interface name like the controller was now pushing out fixed the issue.

@erusk

I did as you suggested but still see no differences.  

What I don't see is any interface assignements in the names - no "eth1", etc., in any of the configs.

The ethX part of that is new to controller versions with port remapping support, 5.8.x and newer. 5.6.x and 5.7.x had diff naming conventions than 5.5.x and earlier, as the previous naming convention could result in an invalid dhcpd conf file with certain network names (IIRC if the network name started with a non-alphanumeric character).

------------

I was able to get my Unifi network back up and running.  Big thanks to @UBNT-cmb@erusk, and Solomon with Ubiquiti Support.

TL;DR - Deleted config.gateway.json file in the Cloud Key and reset/re-adopted USG. I did NOT upgrade the firmware of the USG after doing those things. 

Steps:

1. Restored Cloud Key Controller from last known good backup.

2. Told the Controller to forget the USG.

3. Deleted the config.gateway.json file in the Cloud Key.

4. Unplugged the USG from the UniFi Switch 8 POE-60W (LAN) and the WAN.

5. Reset the USG (paper clip to the tiny RESET button)

6. Unplugged laptop from UniFi Switch 8 POE-60W.

7. Changed my laptop's network settings to be in the Unifi default subnet.

-  Statically assigned 192.168.1.200, Subnet mask 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.1.1

8. Plugged laptop into the LAN port of USG.

9. Used Chrome to browse to 192.168.1.1 (default LAN IP of reset USG Pro 4)

10. Logged into USG using default user/password (ubnt/ubnt)

11. Once in, I clicked Configuration then entered the new LAN IP address/subnet mask I wanted the USG to have (172.17.163.1/255.255.255.0) and left the WAN settings alone.

12. Clicked "Apply Changes".

13. Unplugged laptop from USG LAN port.

14. Changed my laptop network settings to DHCP.

15. Plugged laptop cable back into UniFi Switch 8 POE-60W.

16. Plugged the LAN port of USG back into UniFi Switch 8 POE-60W.

17. Plugged the USG back into the WAN.

18. Rebooted my cable modem.

- I did this to clear out any stored MAC addresses or funny business from the ISP. 

If you use Cox as your ISP, you know what I mean.

19. Using Chrome, browsed to my Controller management screen.

20. The USG appeared in the Devices screen as greyed-out and ready-to-adopt.

21. Adopted the USG, it provisioned, then showed as connected.

22. Everything worked again!

So, that's what worked for me.

I did NOT upgrade the firmware of the USG after all of this. 

I left it at version 4.4.28.5118769

Emerging Member
Kudos: 49

Upgraded my Controller this Monday from 5.8.28 to 5.8.30

Found this USG firmware update avaiable and ran with it.

Couple of USG's decided to show offline in the controller after the update, had to SSH into them and reboot them.

Then I also noticed that they disconnected a few times after being up. No alerts in the controller for this.

I had a couple of sites that i had to completely delete the USG, Factory reset, and re-adopt into the site...

Have also noticed that the failover alert is no longer generated when a site with failover has switches to wan2 and back to wan1

Had a site that would not stay up on a USG 3P until i disabled IDS.

Not a fun week so far thanks to this.

I also upgraded the controller and firmware for my USG Pro 4. At first the USG just showed as disconnected, but the internet was still working. Went to bed thinking I'd fix it this morning, get up this morning and ZERO internet, none for wired or wireless. Had to SSH and do a downgrade back to 4.4.28.5118769. That's the last time I'll update anything Unifi without first checking the forums. 

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

My cloudkey on Mac OS X send me an update for my gateway. I m on 5.9.26 osx cloudkey.

Now my gateway is unreachable by 192.168.1.1 directly on my Mac mini by DHCP.

After reset unreachable.

The routeur is ok 192.168.1.1 and my Mac mini 192.168.1.6 with dhcp, but unreachable with the browser or discovery tool !

All my network is down, switch and AP ! 

MANY thanks ubnt. 

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

The same for me. This is incredible.

Si tu as une solution ...