Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 5412
Solutions: 345

[USG] Firmware v4.4.36 now available

Emerging Member
Kudos: 2

Re: [USG] Firmware v4.4.36 now available

I just did a manual check for fw updates and nothing showing yet. Just updated today from 4.4.29 to 4.4.34.

USG-3P 4.4.36
AC-Lite\Pro 4.0.15
AC-HD 4.0.15
Controller 5.9.29
Emerging Member
Kudos: 5
Solutions: 1

Had to force the update as it wasn’t showing up.

I upgraded my USG to 4.4.36 and could not longer connect to the internet. It was not able to get a IP address via DHCP from my ISP. I had to downgrade to 4.3.41 to get it to work. Is this a known issue?

Kudos: 111
Solutions: 7

@UBNT-cmb i think this needs to be pushed to 5.9.x controllers Man Happy

UniFi solutions for everyone!
Ubiquiti Employee

Won't be presented by any controllers until later Wednesday, can use the custom upgrade in the mean time. 

Ubiquiti Employee

@msandrof wrote:

I upgraded my USG to 4.4.36 and could not longer connect to the internet. It was not able to get a IP address via DHCP from my ISP. I had to downgrade to 4.3.41 to get it to work. Is this a known issue?

No. There's years of changes in between those two versions, and a few features that will be provisioned to the new version and not the old as they don't exist there. For example, we found recently that certain GeoIP blocking configs will block DHCP traffic and prevent WAN from obtaining a lease (where Action == Allow, and Direction == Outgoing or Both). That's the first thing that comes to mind as a possibility. Do you have config in Settings, Routing & Firewall, GeoIP Filtering tab? If so try to disable that and see what happens. If not, I want to investigate with you from there. 

Kudos: 26
Solutions: 2

@UBNT-cmb wrote:

See here for details.

Just for curiosity... What's the difference between this release and the one from last week (this one)?

USG 3P / USW 8-60 / USW 8 / 2 x UAP-AC-PRO / UAP-AC-M-PRO
Emerging Member
Kudos: 11
Solutions: 2

The upgrade went OK on my USG3P.

However, most (all?) updates to the USG require me to disable IPv6 on the WAN network, then re-enable it to get IPv6 working again.

Is this a known issue or does it need to be formally reported somewhere?

Does anyone else see it?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 27

Upgraded (manually) on USG3 from 4.4.29 to 4.4.36 (from beta forum) without any issues, including IPTV. Up and running for 3 days, 19 hours now. 

Established Member
Kudos: 779
Solutions: 19

Yesturday I upgraded an USG to 4.4.34 (before this was released) and I lost contact with the whole site.

When I arrived to the site I noticed that it had not configurated the WAN at all and a cold reboot did not fix it either. This is what I saw when I logged in via a console:

:/home/admin# show interfaces 
Codes: S - State, L - Link, u - Up, D - Down, A - Admin Down
Interface    IP Address                        S/L  Description                 
---------    ----------                        ---  -----------                 
eth0         -                                 A/D                              
eth1         192.168.1.1/24                    u/u  LAN                         
eth1.10      192.168.10.1/24                   u/u                              
eth1.35      192.168.35.1/24                   u/u                              
eth1.50      192.168.50.1/24                   u/u                              
eth2         -                                 A/D                              
lo           127.0.0.1/8                       u/u                              
             ::1/128                          
root@USG01-AA01-Lodgen:/home/admin# ifdown eth0
ifdown: interface eth0 not configured
root@USG01-AA01-Lodgen:/home/admin# ifup eth0
Ignoring unknown interface eth0=eth0.

I did a set-default it and readopted it to the cluod based controller and then it was up and running like nothing has ever happened.

@UBNT-cmb : Was that a but in 4.4.34 that could cause that and / or is it fixed in 4.4.36 ?

Kudos: 14
Solutions: 4

@roensholt wrote:

@UBNT-cmb wrote:

See here for details.

Just for curiosity... What's the difference between this release and the one from last week (this one)?

Only one change since v4.4.34, however an important one for some use cases.

• Do not clear IPs from DHCP WAN interface in PREINIT of a forced renewal. The primary problem symptom is when the system is provisioned by the controller when booting up (most always only the first boot post-upgrade). 

@UBNT-cmb wrote:

No. There's years of changes in between those two versions, and a few features that will be provisioned to the new version and not the old as they don't exist there. For example, we found recently that certain GeoIP blocking configs will block DHCP traffic and prevent WAN from obtaining a lease (where Action == Allow, and Direction == Outgoing or Both). That's the first thing that comes to mind as a possibility. Do you have config in Settings, Routing & Firewall, GeoIP Filtering tab? If so try to disable that and see what happens. If not, I want to investigate with you from there. 

That was the problem! It was literally in the last week that I enabled GeoIP with Allow, but Incoming (not Outgoing or Both). Presumably it would have failed to renew the lease eventually anyway even without the lastest firmware since I was current before 4.4.36. Thanks!

Kudos: 3

[ Edited ]

Updated today, no problems with the update (via SSH and the download link on post 1), and no problems thus far. It is asking me if I want to downgrade to 4.4.34...

1 x Security Gateway 3P

2 x Switch 8 POE 150W

1 x AP AC Pro

1 x AP AC In Wall Pro

Kudos: 1
Solutions: 1

Upgraded last night from 4.4.29 -> 4.4.34 internet dead after that. 
Could have been GeoIP filtering that cused it, don't know.
A factory reset and re adopt solved it.

Tried to day with the next step 4.4.34 -> 4.4.36 same sequence of events, ad to reset and adopt again.

The USG did not get an IP from my ISP, same both times, seems to be a "bug" in the geoIP filter function. Perhaps it could be turned of during FW upgrade?

Have a USG on 4000KM distance that is also dead probably with the same issue, the fix will have o wait until I get there in after Christmas ;-)

Controller 5.29 on win10 

@leby wrote:

The USG did not get an IP from my ISP, same both times, seems to be a "bug" in the geoIP filter function. Perhaps it could be turned of during FW upgrade?

I did not turn GeoIP back on after my upgrade because not sure if this issue is specific to firmware upgrade or would have occurred anyway on next lease renewal. 

Kudos: 2154
Solutions: 625

Hello,

Upgraded USGs from 4.4.34 to 4.4.36 without issues

Will report back if issues occur!

Regards,

Glenn R.

Upgraded Devices

6 x USG 4P

3 x USG 3

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Ubiquiti Employee

@rdahlin wrote:

Yesturday I upgraded an USG to 4.4.34 (before this was released) and I lost contact with the whole site.

When I arrived to the site I noticed that it had not configurated the WAN at all and a cold reboot did not fix it either. This is what I saw when I logged in via a console:

:/home/admin# show interfaces 
Codes: S - State, L - Link, u - Up, D - Down, A - Admin Down
Interface    IP Address                        S/L  Description                 
---------    ----------                        ---  -----------                 
eth0         -                                 A/D                              
eth1         192.168.1.1/24                    u/u  LAN                         
eth1.10      192.168.10.1/24                   u/u                              
eth1.35      192.168.35.1/24                   u/u                              
eth1.50      192.168.50.1/24                   u/u                              
eth2         -                                 A/D                              
lo           127.0.0.1/8                       u/u                              
             ::1/128                          
root@USG01-AA01-Lodgen:/home/admin# ifdown eth0
ifdown: interface eth0 not configured
root@USG01-AA01-Lodgen:/home/admin# ifup eth0
Ignoring unknown interface eth0=eth0.

I did a set-default it and readopted it to the cluod based controller and then it was up and running like nothing has ever happened.

@UBNT-cmb : Was that a but in 4.4.34 that could cause that and / or is it fixed in 4.4.36 ?

No, literally just that one small one-line change to dhclient-script to prevent it from wiping the interface IPs in PREINIT. ifup/ifdown aren't usable on EdgeOS so that explains that much of it. Nothing in upgrading changes the config, but post-upgrade it will get re-provisioned. If config was changed at some point and didn't get provisioned for some reason, that could explain why. But doesn't add up with re-adopting and having things back. "show configuration commands|match ethernet" would help to see whether it had anything configured there in the future, but guessing not from the looks of that. Admin down (A) indicates no config for eth0, and D indicates link down.

Any helpful indications in server.log in the controller? Like did it ever reconnect after the upgrade, and was it reprovisioned? Knowing whether it got back online first, and whether provisioned after that, would also help narrow down. 

Thanks for the report. 

Ubiquiti Employee

@msandrof wrote:

@leby wrote:

I did not turn GeoIP back on after my upgrade because not sure if this issue is specific to firmware upgrade or would have occurred anyway on next lease renewal. 

Yes, I think it will. Well, on next DISCOVER at least. If your ISP's DHCP server is within countries you permit, then normal unicast renewals will work, but there will be times in normal operation where you need to do a DISCOVER and that won't work either. 

Seeing if we can get that addressed for the next release. 

Kudos: 28
Solutions: 3

Will there ever be an add blocker set in the USG or controller like untangle has?