Highlighted
Kudos: 1
Accepted Solution

USG-PRO-4 died; can't Forget it or add other USG in Cloud Key controller

[ Edited ]

I've had my first disappointing experiences with Unifi products.

Last night my home USG‑PRO‑4 died. It stopped responding to pings, and the big "U" light ring went off, but the Ethernet link lights were still on & blinking. Power cycling it didn't help.

So to get the Internet back, I tried plugging in a spare USG. (not Pro)

Unfortunately, this is where I hit more problems:

* The new USG shows up in my Cloud Key controller's web UI "Devices" page, showing it as "Pending Adoption", but there's no Adopt button. (I SSHed in to the USG and tried set-inform and setting its IP/subnet from 192.168.x.x/16 to my home 10.0.x.x/16 too, but no go.)

* So I tried upgrading the USG, since that was the only web UI button available. But the Upgrade never suceeds. It says "Upgrading" for a number of minutes, then nothing. No error message, no success. Back to the same version. Maybe it needs Internet access? The Internet is still down, which is why we're in this mess.

* Maybe the controller only allows on security gateway at a time? I try to "Forget" the dead USG-PRO-4, but the controller says "There was an error removing Gateway." Does it need to be online to forget it? How do you remove a dead device?

So now I'm stuck.

I guess I'll RMA the USG-PRO-4, but when I get it back I'm afraid I won't even be able to re-add it to my network, just like I can't add the USG.

Any ideas?

Misc details.

The USG-PRO-4 was running 4.4.18.5052172.

The Cloud Key is running 5.6.29 (Build: atag_5.6.29_10253)

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 50
Solutions: 7

Re: USG-PRO-4 died; can't Forget it or add other USG in Cloud Key controller

[ Edited ]

No the Dead USG-4 does not need to be online to "Forget" it, Try rebooting your Controller and all network devices between you and it. (Cloud Key too if you have one)

You Should be able to click Forget on it and it will delete, if not try moving the dead one to a "New site" just make a new site and move it to it. 

You are correct, only one controller Per site is allowed. Might be why it's failing to adopt.

Also when you adopt the other device, you can connect the LAN cable from your PC to the CONSOL port on the USG, then the USG LAN port to the Switch Switch to the itnernet and it will connect to the internet and allow you the 10 based IP of your network and give your PC a 192 address of the controller then you can SSH into the controller and set inform to the 10 IP and you should see it adopt. (If You still couldnt adpot after just moving the old one out or Forgetting it)

Also sometimes even on the new USG's I've gotten I'd had to Pin Pr1ick the Reset and once it's truly reset then they adopt without issue. I did geta  USG once with a CONSOL port that didn't work  - Always said disconencted so just food for thought if you had to connect the LAN into the PC and browse to the IP of the USG ina browser, set it up there manually to your controller then plug in the other cable back into the LAN and you will see the adoptiong go through. 

Don't forget to hit the Thumbs Up or Solution button.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 50
Solutions: 7

[ Edited ]

No the Dead USG-4 does not need to be online to "Forget" it, Try rebooting your Controller and all network devices between you and it. (Cloud Key too if you have one)

You Should be able to click Forget on it and it will delete, if not try moving the dead one to a "New site" just make a new site and move it to it. 

You are correct, only one controller Per site is allowed. Might be why it's failing to adopt.

Also when you adopt the other device, you can connect the LAN cable from your PC to the CONSOL port on the USG, then the USG LAN port to the Switch Switch to the itnernet and it will connect to the internet and allow you the 10 based IP of your network and give your PC a 192 address of the controller then you can SSH into the controller and set inform to the 10 IP and you should see it adopt. (If You still couldnt adpot after just moving the old one out or Forgetting it)

Also sometimes even on the new USG's I've gotten I'd had to Pin Pr1ick the Reset and once it's truly reset then they adopt without issue. I did geta  USG once with a CONSOL port that didn't work  - Always said disconencted so just food for thought if you had to connect the LAN into the PC and browse to the IP of the USG ina browser, set it up there manually to your controller then plug in the other cable back into the LAN and you will see the adoptiong go through. 

Don't forget to hit the Thumbs Up or Solution button.
Kudos: 1

[ Edited ]

That's a pretty hacky workaround. But sadly that didn't help.

That's an even hackier workaround, but that worked. I created a new Site named "Bogus" and moved the device there. Then I was able to Adopt the replacement USG.

The replacement USG was stuck in Provisioning for about an hour, though, before it finally became Connected. What was it doing for so long?

Also, now that it's up, I see why the previous Upgrade clicks failed: the upgrade does indeed require Internet access. (I thought maybe the firmware was cached on the Cloud Key). But now I see it saying "Upgrading (Downloading)", where previously it just got stuck in "Upgrading" forever until it got bored and acted like nothing ever happened.

I think things are finally back alive, but my love affair with Unifi seems to be ending. The software needs work, and my hardware only lasted 8 months. The prices are still right, though, if there's ever any stock. (I've been waiting for my US‑16‑XG for weeks now.)

Now to RMA the USG-4-PRO ... 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 8

[ Edited ]

Its not working. :-(

when trying to forget the defect USG I get an error: “There was an error removing USG Gateway”

This error message is not helpful! It says nothing. (The old USG has died and is not longer available.)

Trying to move the USG to an other site will cause a similar error.

How can I fix it?

Emerging Member

So, I have tryied different things for some hours. Now I found a solution:

If the USG is not removable, backup all and restore from backup. After this the USG is removable (in my case).

@Ubiquiti: Plase make better error massages! A message "there is an error" with no further informaion is not helpfull! ;-)

Kudos: 3

Tech helped me by telling me to do a backup of the running configuration and then uploading the confgiguration again.  After that i was able to remove and move USG's as needed and system is now provisioined and working propertly.  

Thanks UBNT Team and Staff! 

Emerging Member

Sorry, I forgot to post my solution. It’s the same. ;-)

After many hours of trying many different things I made a backup and and restored the backup. After this it was possible to remove the USG from the controller.