Kudos: 27

USG-PRO SFP Ports for LAN

Is there any way to reconfigure the 2 SFP ports on the USG-PRO to use them for LAN instead of WAN?  I have two UniFi Switch 48 units, and I'd love to connect them both back to the USG-PRO via SFP instead of ethernet... Since this is in a home, I have no use for WAN SFP ports.

Kudos: 39
Solutions: 4

Re: USG-PRO SFP Ports for LAN

[ Edited ]

There is no benefit using the SFP ports over copper, except if the router is over hundred metres away from the switch or if all 48 ports on the switch are being used.

Established Member
Kudos: 1079
Solutions: 51

LanGimp wrote:

There is no benefit using the SFP ports over copper, except if the router is over hundred metres away from the switch or if all 48 ports on the switch are being used.

I've always felt the same way.  I've only used SFP ports for VERY long runs. 

I can't teach you anything, I can only make you think
Don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudos

This is not a distance or bandwidth issue, I am using all 48 ethernet ports on both of the switches.

Kudos: 21

I've been attempting the same thing. Can't figure it out.   I was sure that's what it was for.    If there isn't a way to use sfp as LAN port there should be

Emerging Member
Kudos: 18
Solutions: 3

Why not use an RJ45 SFP then? Many companies make them. Just grabbed an image of a Netgear as it showed up first in google.

Aaron Bott
Connected Solutions
Louisville, KY
5xfQ8vdZTeiWXK-2f-2b53Eohw-3d-3d_BigProductImage.jpg

The issue is not the cable type, it is that I have a USG that feeds a 48 port switch and I need all 48 ports of downstream devices.  This means I either disconnect one of my 48 devices to provide the uplink to the USG or I beg Ubiquiti to allow me to reconfigure the SFP ports on the USG so that they are LAN instead of WAN.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 18
Solutions: 3

Exactly why I stated using an RJ45 SFP on the switch to add a port 49 essentially.

Aaron Bott
Connected Solutions
Louisville, KY
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 13905
Solutions: 594
Contributions: 20

Massimo123 wrote:

I've been attempting the same thing. Can't figure it out.   I was sure that's what it was for.    If there isn't a way to use sfp as LAN port there should be

It's possible, but I can't recommend it. That being said, I will get back in this thread about whether we will make the port swappable WAN/LAN at a later date..

Cheers,

Mike

Established Member
Kudos: 653
Solutions: 19

Mike any word on this feature change? I have a couple of SG500's I need to interface with using the SFP slots also can those two ports be setup in as a LAG?

Emerging Member
Solutions: 1

We just ordered a Pro4 assuming(never assume) that you could choose the SFP to be either WAN or LAN, I now get to come up with a new plan on the fly for my boss and the customer.

Kudos: 14

Since the distance is not so long, SFP modules over copper is a little expensicve. Why not choose 1000base-t sfp with RJ45 connector to fit it?

Kudos: 10
Solutions: 2

If I were you, I would turn to use  copper RJ45 SFP for LAN if the distance is within 100 meters. I used those many times and never had any issues. http://www.fs.com/c/1000base-sfp-81

May it helps!

Kudos: 162
Solutions: 19

@katiesi and @kevensmith, I think you did not understand the topic. What @ecam315 wanted is to use the SFP WAN ports in the USG-Pro as LAN ports, but that configuration is not possible right now, although it my be in the future.

Victor Bottacco
 Apple Consultant

Emerging Member
Kudos: 8
Solutions: 4

I am also interested to know if/when this may/will become a feature. Not expecting a direct response, just posting this to subscribe to the thread, and point out the below. It would also be great if you could independently reconfigure each port, so you could theoretically have one SFP set to WAN and the other set to LAN.
"So are we gonna friggin make it so, or what?"
-Jean-Luc PiCarl
Kudos: 53

[ Edited ]

Anyword when they are going to be able to configure the WAN SFP to LAN SFP? 

@UBNT-MikeD

subscribing as well

subscribing

LanGimp wrote:

Of course there is!

With fiber, you don't have to worry about electromagnetic interfernce. You can save space by reducing the amount of wires as fiber can handle 10, 40, 100G+ in a single wire vs multiple copper. It's also thinner so it takes up less space in the cable management. 

Emerging Member

in our situation, the internet was coming into a building where we didnt need additional connectivity, but there was fiber over to the building where it was needed.  so, in this case, we had to add a switch, not that big of a deal, but one more thing to be a point of failure(SWFL and lightning)