Kudos: 1
Accepted Solution

USG Pro 4.4.21 config.gateway.json

Hello!

After USG upgrade from 4.4.18 to 4.4.21 my config.gateway.json stopped working and USG get stuck in provisioning.

config.gateway.json:

{
    "service": {
        "dhcp-server": {
            "shared-network-name": {
                "net_Users_192.168.10.0-24": {
                    "subnet": {
                        "192.168.10.0/24": {
                            "static-mapping": {
                                "cc-6d-a0-eb-24-0e": {
                                    "mac-address": "cc:6d:a0:eb:24:0e",
                                    "static-mapping-parameters": [
                                        "option domain-name-servers 82.103.129.240, 46.246.29.68;"
                                    ]
                                }
                            }
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

Errors:

configuration commit error. Error message: { "COMMIT" : { "error" : "\ufffe[ service dhcp-server ]\nUndefined subroutine &main::decode_entities called at /opt/vyatta/sbin/dhcpd-config.pl line 805.\n\n\uffff0\nCommit failed\n" , "failure" : "1" , "success" : "1"} , "DELETE" : { "failure" : "0" , "success" : "1"} , "SESSION_ID" : "41778057caa9512a61573911d6" , "SET" : { "failure" : "0" , "success" : "1"}}
configuration commit error. Error message: { "COMMIT" : { "error" : "\ufffe[ interfaces ethernet eth3 dhcp-options ]\nRenewing DHCP lease on eth3 ...\n\n\uffff1\n\ufffe[ interfaces ethernet eth2 dhcp-options ]\nRenewing DHCP lease on eth2 ...\n\n\uffff1\n\ufffe[ service gui ]\nStarting the GUI service.\nWarning - the service might have not started properly:\nDuplicate config variable in conditional 0 global: url.rewrite-once\n2018-05-05 20:02:28: (configfile.c.957) source: /etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf line: 44 pos: 1 parser failed somehow near here: (EOL) \n\n\uffff1\n\ufffe[ service dhcp-server ]\nUndefined subroutine &main::decode_entities called at /opt/vyatta/sbin/dhcpd-config.pl line 805.\n\n\uffff0\nCommit failed\n" , "failure" : "1" , "success" : "1"} , "DELETE" : { "failure" : "0" , "success" : "1"} , "SESSION_ID" : "41778057caa9512a61573911d6" , "SET" : { "failure" : "0" , "success" : "1"}}

this config.gateway.json was working perfectly before 4.4.21, what changed?

BR Daniel

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

Re: USG Pro 4.4.21 config.gateway.json

[ Edited ]

Took the freedom to search for the error/solution. I think I found it, but I do not recommend applying this fix. It will be undone by the next firmware upgrade, and who knows what else might be broken.

Edit: I guess I can recommend it now Icon Smile

But for those in dire need of the upgrade and being held back by this error, here it goes:

The error is not in the .json syntax, somebody simply forgot to load the Perl module which provides the function "decode_entities" in the /opt/vyatta/sbin/dhcpd-config.pl script. Which is quite unfortunate because the module is actually available on the system by default.

I've added the this line to the /opt/vyatta/sbin/dhcpd-config.pl script with the other "use" statements:

use HTML::Entities; # This library is available via libhtml-parser-perl

It looks like:

use strict;
use lib "/opt/vyatta/share/perl5/";

use Getopt::Long;
use NetAddr::IP; # This library is available via libnetaddr-ip-perl.deb
use Vyatta::Config;

This makes the script find the "decode_entities" function (provided by the HTML::Entities module") and work properly again.

View solution in original post

All Replies

Just curious - did it also kill the web gui?

Hi!

No the gui worked, internet to until i powercycled the USG. After that nothing worked. Probably because the USG couldnt boot correctly. 

I have the same problem!

Kudos: 80
Solutions: 10

Probably a change in the way it stores the json, I'm guessing the way it deals with static-mapping-params.

1. Remove the json
  2. Provision
  3. Apply the changes at the USG command line 
  4. `mca-ctrl -t dump-cfg` to get the new syntax
  5. rebuild config.gateway.json

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 5130
Solutions: 342

I see the issue. It's been fixed for 4.4.22 which will be posted to beta on Wednesday. 

Hi!

4.4.22 doesnt solve this.

configuration commit error. Error message: { "COMMIT" : { "error" : "\ufffe[ interfaces ethernet eth3 dhcp-options ]\nRenewing DHCP lease on eth3 ...\n\n\uffff1\n\ufffe[ interfaces ethernet eth2 dhcp-options ]\nRenewing DHCP lease on eth2 ...\n\n\uffff1\n\ufffe[ service gui ]\nStarting the GUI service.\n\n\uffff1\n\ufffe[ service dhcp-server ]\nUndefined subroutine &main::decode_entities called at /opt/vyatta/sbin/dhcpd-config.pl line 805.\n\n\uffff0\nCommit failed\n" , "failure" : "1" , "success" : "1"} , "DELETE" : { "failure" : "0" , "success" : "1"} , "SESSION_ID" : "ca4d81097474f4184d05096202" , "SET" : { "failure" : "0" , "success" : "1"}}

Reverting back to 4.4.18 makes everything happy again.

BR Daniel

Care to share the exact issue? It's doesn't seem fixed in 4.4.22 sadly. 

Yes, the same issue wth json script in the 4.4.22

configuration commit error. Error message: { "COMMIT" : { "error" : "\ufffe[ service dhcp-server ]\nUndefined subroutine &main::decode_entities called at /opt/vyatta/sbin/dhcpd-config.pl line 805.\n\n\uffff0\nCommit failed\n" , "failure" : "1" , "success" : "1"} , "DELETE" : { "failure" : "0" , "success" : "1"} , "SESSION_ID" : "61cea0579e27372b65e4d36135" , "SET" : { "failure" : "0" , "success" : "1"}}

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Took the freedom to search for the error/solution. I think I found it, but I do not recommend applying this fix. It will be undone by the next firmware upgrade, and who knows what else might be broken.

Edit: I guess I can recommend it now Icon Smile

But for those in dire need of the upgrade and being held back by this error, here it goes:

The error is not in the .json syntax, somebody simply forgot to load the Perl module which provides the function "decode_entities" in the /opt/vyatta/sbin/dhcpd-config.pl script. Which is quite unfortunate because the module is actually available on the system by default.

I've added the this line to the /opt/vyatta/sbin/dhcpd-config.pl script with the other "use" statements:

It looks like:

use strict;
use lib "/opt/vyatta/share/perl5/";

use Getopt::Long;
use NetAddr::IP; # This library is available via libnetaddr-ip-perl.deb
use Vyatta::Config;

This makes the script find the "decode_entities" function (provided by the HTML::Entities module") and work properly again.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 20

[ Edited ]

@FotringDo you have a network "net_Users" or just "Users"? your config.gateway.json talks about the network net_Users. Maybe the is a collision where config json, in the past, used the net_ prefix somehow?

Just remove the net_ from your config.gateway.json and reprovision? Worth a try?

[ Edited ]

Probably won't work, the dhcpd-config.pl script will still call the "decode_entities" function (which it can't locate) on the "static-mapping-parameters" options.

If you try to add these options via the CLI commands it will fail as well.

If you remove the static-mapping-parameters from the .json it will work. 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 20

Hmmm, just checked my own config.boot, has also got the net_ prefix so thats not it.

Sorry for the noise in this topic...

Ubiquiti Employee

There were two problems in the original post and I only noticed one of them. One is fixed in 4.4.22. The other I'm investigating now. It can be worked around with what @dkanbier posted. 

Ubiquiti Employee

Second problem fixed too. You can add what @dkanbier noted now, and then next version you won't have to worry about it being overwritten as it'll be fixed. 

What @dkanbier wrote solved the problems! Big kudos!

BR Daniel