Kudos: 54
Solutions: 14

Re: USG-Pro-4 Restarting every 2 days

Sure, when you've got a bad unit you should apply for a RMA.

Kudos: 29
Solutions: 2

The issue is that RMAs are taking months. That is not a viable solution 

Kudos: 54
Solutions: 14

Agree, but there's still a choice:

Go cheap, replace DIY the RAM and/or have USG as Spare just to buy time or,

the point I want to make;

Go Pro and buy an extra Pro as spare and make your case @ubnt stronger

hope to speed up the bureaucrazy.

Highlighted
Emerging Member
Kudos: 17

Lovely, looks like this is still an issue with new units. I just bought mine a couple months ago. I was on beta firmwares to get port remapping so I was really hoping that was the cause but I've reverted to all official/stable versions and my USG disconnects at least once per day. I've been joking about how I could go to Best Buy and buy a cheap router and have a more stable network, and it appears my joke is more of a truth.

CloudKey (2): 0.11.4 / Controller: 5.8.24-11016
USG-Pro-4 (2): 4.4.22.5086057
UAP-AC-Pro (50): 3.9.42.9152
UAP-AC-IW (2): 3.9.42.9152

I can confirm I have been up solid replacing my RAM myself in my USG-Pro-4.  Support bascially took my name and information, and said thanks.  I did not get a new system nor get a replacment offer (Which I am ok with).  I am happy to say the RAM is keeping my firewall up and solid for the past 20 days 14 hours.  Not bad for RAM I found in a drawer from an old laptop. The only thing, make sure you put in exactly the correct RAM with correct voltage, ect.

Emerging Member

They told me mine is a known bad batch and to contact the reseller for replacement, or go through their snail process of RMA and hope I get something in return within a month.

Terrible support. Terrible hardware, Terrible software. I fail to see a single positive to this gear at this point. Nothing but problems and headaches.

Established Member
Kudos: 564
Solutions: 55

Sorry you had bad experience, but there are large number of us have positive experience. Hardware and software issues happen to all companies. If you think this is bad, you should visit some of the consumer gear hardware forums. UniFi employee and user community support is actually great from what I have encountered. Fortunately, I am tech savvy enough that I have never had to call hardware/software support for any company so far. I am also hardware/software tester, so I know how all this stuff works or should work.

As for failing to see a single positive to this gear, check out the UniFi Stories section: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Stories/con-p/UniFi_Stories
The Man from Q.A. My Story: UniFing the Spanish Garden | My Story: Rise of Accidental WiFi Test Lab | Signal & Throughput Tests Log | Early Access Signup
UniFi: UAS-XG, USG-XG, 24 L2 PoE, AC PRO, AC Mesh, AC Walls , HD, SHD, XG, nanoHD, G3 Micro.
Wired clients: Custom built Windows 10 PC, Brother MFC, four PS3s, four XBOX360s, two Wiis, four Smart TVs.
Wireless clients: Fourteen (yes, 14) Nest Thermostats for in-floor radiant heating, 5 Amazon Echos (original/show/dots), two MB Pros, two Windows laptops, one iPad 5th Gen, one Surface Pro 3, four iPhones, two Android phones, two DS Lites, Neato robotic vacuum.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 11

@goombah Wow, a known bad batch? Did they share any information about what made the batch bad (RAM?) or how a bad unit might be identified (ie, how do you know the replacement will work...)?

Emerging Member

@spritech wrote:

@goombah Wow, a known bad batch? Did they share any information about what made the batch bad (RAM?) or how a bad unit might be identified (ie, how do you know the replacement will work...)?

No, and that's certainly the first thing I will do is contact support with my new date code since they appear to want to sweep this under the rug rather than warn people.

All I know is the instant I gave them my date code both support people immediately said I should RMA it, they did not give specifics and were not willing to send me an advanced replacement even though they are doing absolutely nothing to recall these bad units it seems. Luckily Amazon is sending me out a new one since I spend so much money there.

Kudos: 1

Are there any hardware revisions of the USG-Pro over the years? i have one coming this week, i was waiting for the new USG because i wanted to play with the new IPS features on my 1000/1000 fiber, but at 2.5k US ouch... so i ordered the 4. i have https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR16LS11_8.pdf all ready to go in and 2 noctua fans as well. i hope this was not a mistake.

[ Edited ]

We just bought couple of USG-4s and several switches, APS. etc. Have this problem going on for the past few days at one of the offices. USG is on the latest firmare 4.4.22.5086057 and it's rebooting atleast once a day. Got an RMA from Ubiquity but I have to ship the defective unit first and then wait for them to ship a replacement unit. That's not going to work for us as we have over 50 devices on the network - all active 8-5 monday - friday. We just cannot be down for days. I just don't know why Ubiquiti did not pro-actively recall those products before they got shipped out. Last few days have been just dreadful - my head hurts.

SuperUser
Kudos: 5020
Solutions: 375

@binaryfinay wrote:

Got an RMA from Ubiquity but I have to ship the defective unit first and then wait for them to ship a replacement unit. 

Ask them to advance ship with a credit card hold.  

Or just pick up a second unit as a cold spare.  These things are pretty inexpensive, especially compared to having to deal with downtime.  Heck the cost of a whole new unit is less than maintenance from most other vendors.  

I picked up an EdgeRouter Lite to play around with and having it on the shelf has saved my butt; not just from USG's throwing the occasional tantrum but some of my pfSense boxes too.  Nothing beats having a spare on the shelf in a time of need!

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP
Emerging Member

Ubiquiti will not do advanced replacements, that's reserved for companies that stand behind their products Man Happy

If you say you just bought these, as in within 30 days, then you should contact the reseller for a refund rather thatn going through Slowbiquiti RMA. I got lucky and Amazon saw how terrible the Ubiquiti experience is and refunded me even though I bought it back in March. Days of support before they even ask for the date code and check if it's a known to be bad and then over a week for a simple response to the RMA.

One simply can't make this stuff up, it's here for all to see and yet people still defend them as if they deserve defending. Some seem to think spending money on RAM and then voiding your warranty to even see if that works is a good alternative to actual support.

[ Edited ]

They do regularly provide advanced replacements. We just received one. They did it for free.

Emerging Member

Well that's nice, they said they NEVER do that, so they lied to me, on top of having terrible support.

[ Edited ]

Console captures - I assume everyone is using a USB rollover console cable attached to a Raspberry Pi for console captures. Is anyone using anything more sophisticated than 'screen' for monitoring? 

SuperUser

@goombah wrote:

Well that's nice, they said they NEVER do that, so they lied to me, on top of having terrible support.

It's at their discretion.  You usually catch more files with honey than vinegar too. 

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP
SuperUser

@palmerc wrote:

Console captures - I assume everyone is using a USB rollover console cable attached to a Raspberry Pi for console captures. Is anyone using anything more sophisticated than 'screen' for monitoring? 

I haven't found a need to go beyond: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000644367-UniFi-How-to-Enable-Netconsole-Debug-Logging-on...

OK, but that requires a syslog server which is pretty inconvenient and I would assume misses anything that happens at a hardware-level. Still... useful. Thanks for the tip.

My thought as well. The representative might not know that it is done from time-to-time. "Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."

In my case I failed to add in my reply that I live in Europe now, which generally has much stronger warranty laws than the US. So I'm not sure how much of my positive experience is living in a country with laws vs. corporate good will.