Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Established Member
Kudos: 422
Solutions: 45

Re: USG Pro 4 with router Fritzbox 7490

@maverick777 => I hope you got teh Fritzbox in BRIDGE mode, and everything is then smooth, not fo 1000 years, but at least few ;-) 

Enjoy, and you did the most complicated work with the USG ! 

Kudos: 2

[ Edited ]

Thanks di3,

Your information helped me a lot. Now my wife will be calm as well.

Regards

Kudos: 2

I set the Fritzbox to the IP:192.168.178.1 and route all ports to the USG.

In the unificontroller i change to 192.168.1.x/24 Network. The USG adopte in seconds.

Then i change back to my 192.168.2.x Network and reboot all devices.

The last step was static ip to all devices except the APs.

May be i forgot some step, but it works fine now.

Established Member
Kudos: 422
Solutions: 45

@maverick777 => this is perfect.

The fact that you changed the Fritzbox from192.168.2.1/24 to 192.168.178.1/24 avoided to have, at any time, the USG having 2 IP on the 192.168.2.1/24, one with theFritzbox, and one internally, this is where it got confused ;-) 

the last optimization you can do, if you don't mind loosing the Fritzbox WLAN : set it to bridge, the USG will then have the Public IP of your house, and can provide usefull feature, like VPN or VOIP without so much hassle 

Kudos: 42
Solutions: 5

[ Edited ]

There's another option. But it depends on what you want to do... I have a similar setup and I want to leverage the Fritzbox features, and I'm just thinking through the options.

So my 2 cents:

I like really what fritz.box provides (PBX, DECT, etc) but it's not so good in reporting what goes on and doing some "advanced" things.

I like USG as it has already many more features in the networking space. And you know what goes on in its network(s).

fritz.box has no real bridge mode, but can expose USG as host - but its still DUAL nat.

But you can turn off NAT for one of your networks, and simply only route to the fritzbox network.

A starting guide (not finished) is here:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/Disable-NAT-on-USG-for-all-VLANs/td-p/1498441

I followed it, reviewed my config.boot, identified one of the NAT rules (6001 in my case) and just tried to turn it off. Instantly i had now one more lan with simple routing.

As said, this is not thought-to-the-end, but it allows to remove the double-nat-issue.

For me, my phones now are registered back on fritz.box and can make SIP calls via it as before I added the USG and moved all devices behind it.

Volker
5 Sites, 2x USG3P, US-16-150W, US-8-150W, 2x US-8-60W, UAP-AC-PRO, 5x UAP-AC-M, 2xLBE-5AC-23, Central site: Dual WAN (LB) with T-Hybrid (50m) and FBOX7490 (16m). Kudos accepted.
Kudos: 22
Solutions: 4

Hi all,

not sure of this is off-topic or not.

I have an existing Router (192.168.2.1) serving public Wifi and my IP-TV (from my telco provider) which I cannot change. So I cannot set the router into Bridge mode. But I want to place the USG right after the Router and connect my APs and all other wired devices to the USG (respectively a normal Netgear switch).

Reason: I want to use the monitoring/firewall features of the USG.

Would this setup work? (understood the challenge regarding IP addresses and adopting mayhem)

From the data sheet it is not clear to me, if I can connect two network devices with same VLAN to the USG

(inet)->(fixed router 192.168.2.1)->(USG 192.168.x.7)->Netgear Switch(192.168.2.98)
                                                     -> Unif AP-PRO (192.168.2.120)

thanks

Mike

And if this does not make any sense at all, please also tell me Confused5

Kudos: 9
Solutions: 3

Nope, that would not work. A router can't have the same IP range on its input and output.

If you go for
(inet)->(fixed router 192.168.2.1)->(USG 192.168.2.7)(WAN)/(USG 192.168.1.1)(LAN) ->Netgear Switch(192.168.1.98)
-> Unifi AP-PRO (192.168.1.120)

That should work fine.
Kudos: 22
Solutions: 4

Yes. Of course. You are right. Thanks
Kudos: 726
Solutions: 131

What I have done in several cases  is to place the Fritzbox on the LAN behind the USG and just use the PBX and DECT features from there...

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as "solved" and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!
Check out my UniFi API browser tool on GitHub. A standalone version of the PHP API client which it uses, can be found here on GitHub.
Kudos: 1

Hi,

i have a avm 6490 cable router and want to integrate a usg.

actual firmware is 06.63. in the gui there is no menu for "bridge-mode" so i followed these instructions but it doesn`t work.

“lanbridges_gui_hidden” von “yes” auf “no”

Hi maverick777

i'm looking into basically the same setup. What do you mean with "The double NAT Problem seems to be solve by itself.".
Are you using a double NAT or is there a solution to the WAN -> FRITZ -> USG -> NET setup w/o the need for a double-NAT?
It's kind if hard to replace the fritz box when the provider does auto-config using TR069 and i would need a modem anyway for a USG only setup.

regards
udo
Highlighted
Kudos: 42
Solutions: 5

Hi Udo,

there are a few potential issues (not all may be relevant for you) and there are also several options to address.

Using a fritz.box - which is very flexible in configuration - you have lots of options.

I try to make a few examples, and you may want to go deeper where its relevant.

I describe this from the perspecitve of your layout.

Statement: Dual NAT makes things "complicated".

Complicated 1: For Port forwardings, you have to do it twice (not really hard!)

Complicated 2: For Auto-firewall features (uPNP) this will affect only USG, but not Fritzbox -> will not work

Complicated 3: Voip Phones on your Network (behind USG) will have issues - and its not important if they sip-register on FritzBox or on the Internet.

Complicated 4: FritzBox provides several services (WLAN, Guest WLAN, SIP-PBX, File / Media Server, Network access policies (typically for children) etc - but this now happens in "the wrong" network (outside of your new one).

So as you see its important what is your priority. Be aware, that the PBX (as in 3,4) will work perfect in that layout for DECT , ISDN and Analog phones. 

Now some options (without going deep). This discusses the layout options i am aware of:

First, its easy to turn off the NAT in USG -- and wow, dual-nat is gone. There is some small work needed, and actually just after installing the latest USG build i seem to have an issue with this - but nevermind, thats an option.

Second, if you want to use the FritzBox as a modem only (PPOE, no NAT) - only means that i believe you cannot use most (if not all) of the features, thats possible as well. Not good documented, but the key thing is that - depending on your DSL provider - you are allowed only for one "free" network connection - so if you want to use it as modem you disable the DSL-Information and enable the modem feature, then leveraged by USG.

Third, best known, you buy a DSL modem, put it in front of the USG, and switch Fritzbox in LAN Client mode.

So it provides many (not all) services, esp. WLAN, File sharing, PBX etc on your network (on the right network)

Is this helpful to prepare a decision?

Volker
5 Sites, 2x USG3P, US-16-150W, US-8-150W, 2x US-8-60W, UAP-AC-PRO, 5x UAP-AC-M, 2xLBE-5AC-23, Central site: Dual WAN (LB) with T-Hybrid (50m) and FBOX7490 (16m). Kudos accepted.

Hello, just a question to your setup

I have DSL-Modem - USG4Pro-LAN with FB7390 as Voip-Server.

Fb connected to LAN 1 as Client with staticIP.

Outgoing calls works fine. But there is no incoming call. Do I have to open a port on the USG (portforwarding)

thx

MikeXXL

Solved..

open UDP Port incomming
5070, 5080, 30000-31000, 40000-41000