Highlighted
Accepted Solution

USG Pro - Benefit of using LAN2 vs another VLAN on LAN

I am somewhat new to this, but setting up a small business network -- given all the great benefits, I am going a full unifi stack:

USG Pro4

UniFi® Switch PoE 48

AP AC Pro

G3 cameras + Unifi NVR

I have all this working with VLANs (Data, VOIP, Video, Guest, etc.) off of LAN.  In playing around I was able to get a port working with LAN2, but I didn't actually change anything.

My question is pretty simple - is there any benefit to move a VLAN onto LAN2 instead of LAN?  Given the LAN2 port used to be named VOIP, I'm guessing there is, but I can't find anything to confirm or not.

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 19
Solutions: 1

Re: USG Pro - Benefit of using LAN2 vs another VLAN on LAN

No real benefit with the current hardware.  Inter-vlan traffic is handled by the router processor not the hardware acceleration.  You will only get a few hundred MB of Inter-vlan throughput without the hardware acceleration.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 25

I could be wrong... most likely am... but my thoughts would be to aliviate port traffic. If VLAN 1, 2, 3, and 4 are all on LAN being router to eachother via the USG; at the point where the 1Gps starts getting saturated having VLAN 1 and 2 on LAN and VLAN 3 and 4 on LAN2 would add throughput for inter VLAN communications. So instead on one port handling all the traffic it would share it to a degree depending on how much cross talk in between what VLANS. 

Or...

If VLAN 1 and 2 have additional heavy WAN traffic and VLAN 3 and 4 are mainly internal traffic then more throughput for the WAN access. 

Just my guess. 

Kudos: 19

No real benefit with the current hardware.  Inter-vlan traffic is handled by the router processor not the hardware acceleration.  You will only get a few hundred MB of Inter-vlan throughput without the hardware acceleration.

Kudos: 25

And from what I understand this hardware will not have any benefit... Like LAG for them