USG Pro with Sky Fibre reboot issue

I have used various other threads on this forum to successfully obtain an internet connection (with ipv6) using a Huawei HG612 and a USG pro unfortunately though after a power failure it will fail to reconnect and show this the error "The Gateway is unable to connect to the internet. Please check your configuration." (shown below); Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 04.39.57.png

However, I have created a "working" JSON file (which is suspect may be the issue) located on the cloud key in /srv/unifi/data/sites/default . The controller is a cloud key connected to a US-48 which is connected to the USG via an OM3 patch lead and 2x UF-MM-1G SFP modules. I have attached my JSON file (renamed as a txt). The issue also happens seemingly randomly too about once a month. (the equipment is connected to a UPS so power fluctuation is not the issue.)  It requires me to SSH into the USG and type;

configure

delete interfaces ethernet eth2 address dhcp

commit

set interfaces ethernet eth2 dhcp-options client-option "send dhcp-client-identifier "bacons";"

set interfaces ethernet eth2 address dhcp

commit

save

exit

After a power cycle on the equipment, this will regain a full ipv6 connection however when this randomly happens it will only connect via ipv4 but this is fixed via a force provision.

I would appreciate any help/suggestions with this issue.

Regards, Josh

In the case my JSON didn't upload please find it pasted below;

{
"interfaces": {
"ethernet": {
"eth2”: {
"address": [
"dhcp"
],
"dhcp-options": {
"client-option": [
"retry 60;",
"send dhcp-client-identifier "yours@yours";"
],
"default-route": "update",
"default-route-distance": "1",
"name-server": "no-update"
},
"dhcpv6-pd": {
"prefix-only": "''",
"rapid-commit": "enable"
}
}
}
}
}

Kudos: 55
Solutions: 13

Re: USG Pro with Sky Fibre reboot issue

Do you still have the Sky router in your set up as well?

If so, that would explain the connection type being DHCP.

If NOT, then I was under the impression that a Sky connection is done by PPPoE?

Established Member
Kudos: 425
Solutions: 79

@malcky wrote:

If NOT, then I was under the impression that a Sky connection is done by PPPoE?

You're under the wrong impression then Man Happy

Sky use MER - MAC Encapsulated Routing (DHCP Option 61) on their VDSL2 products. They used the same auth method for years on their LLU ADSL2+ products but switched that back to PPPoA/PPPoE around 2013 or so.

[ Edited ]

No Sky router (ER115) Replaced with HG612 and the USG Pro. Sky use MER (DHCP Option 61) which isn't an option in the UI, therefore, a JSON file has to be created and placed on the controller. I have done this but I assume partially incorrectly. I have Sky Fibre Pro, an unadvertised package similar to Fibre Max (their advertised top package) but with a static IP and no minimum download speed of 55Mbps which is the reason I cannot get Fibre Max. Please find photos of the installation below.

IMG_20190111_235547-1.jpgIMG_20190112_000322.jpgIMG_20190112_000251.jpg

Please see my Line Stats and speed test results below;

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 01.19.50.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-12 at 01.18.02.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-12 at 01.13.58.png

Can someone here also comfirm from my line stats if my line looks "capped" at 55mbps and if this need to be reset by an openreach engineer ? It seems to be very similar to this post on another forum - http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4540196-bt-insist-my-line-isnt-capped.html?fpart=all

Highlighted
Established Member
Kudos: 425
Solutions: 79

[ Edited ]

Warning - all this is off-topic and ISP-specific.

Re the VDSL stats/banding :

You're on the 55Mbps service because of the clean & impacted range figures on the BT Wholesale checker. The figure to look at is the "Downstream Handback Threshold" figure - Sky won't do new provisions/regrades on anything above 55Mbps unless the handback figure exceeds that. Want someone to blame - well that'd be Ofcom/ASA for the insane way services have to be quoted.

Having said that your upstream is being banded by the DLM indicating some sort of local noise problem/crosstalk/cabling issue. Edit - however you have no chance of that being looked at as you're within the quoted ranges on the BT Wholesale checker.

Chances of getting banding reset on Sky? Zero - I did beta testing for years and know which people to prod but its not going to happen unless there's another line fault (preferably voice) that you can point at.

Oh and the Sky Fibre Pro accounts only exist in historical/grandfathered terms now (I have/had one) - the "static IP address" is only available until you turn it off then on in the control panel, at which point you'll find you've lost the ability to get one again without phoning up and trying to explain it to L1 script workers who usually have no idea what you're talking about. Best of luck with that especially as Sky is now owned by Comcast.....

You should "downgrade" the "Pro" account to the same "non-Pro" speeds - there will be no difference in service & if you're able to recontract for 12 months+ you ought to save about £20 a month.

Thanks for your reply, when I tried to sign up for fibre max in January of 2016 I was told I cannot due to the downstream handback threshold but I could sign up for fibre Pro for an extra £5. In around October last year I called the retentions team who put me on another 18 month contract and got me a discount on the overall package. So unfortunately I can't even try to downgrade currently, however when the contract is up I will probably leave sky broadband and join another VDSL ISP who doesn't have such awkward methods of connecting.

However as you've stated this is off topic. Can anyone here help with the issue I've originally stated.