Kudos: 29

USG Real Time Bandwidth

Running my home network with a USG and some Unifi AP-Pros. Occasionally I'll have a user in my home that destroys my upload bandwidth. I live out in the boonies so I only have a 10/1 connection. I know I can do some QoS to limit particular users, but is there a way in the USG to see real time usage. That way I could easily pop in there and see what user/device is consuming my bandwidth real time? In the past I've used iftop, which I installed on my USG, and that works fine but it would be nice to be able to just do it from the GUI. Sorry if this question has been asked before. Thanks.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 28
Solutions: 4

Re: USG Real Time Bandwidth

+1 for this feature to be added if not already implemented somehwere...

A graph / chart of instantaneous usage breakdown per client, or even last 5 / 10 / 15 mins would be nice in addition to the 24 hour overview.

Cheers.

I've not been able to find anything in the forum or get an answer from Ubiquiti yet on whether something like this exists, so my assumption is that it does not exist. Bummer. This would be a killer feature.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 13
Solutions: 3

The "insights" page shows me who connected as well as how much traffic they used and when they were last seen online.  Wouldn't that be the same?

The insights data are just totals, they're not real time data. What I'm after is "current" bandwidth usage by device/mac/or ip.

SuperUser
Kudos: 5516
Solutions: 381

Agreed - it would be great if there were something like the LAN traffic graph in pfSense - show either IP address or hostname of clients communicating on the right, with a histogram of traffic on the left.  

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP

It really would. And just so you know, it can be accomplished by installing iftop on your USG and going through the CLI interface. I just wish the GUI had something simliar.

Untitled.png

Kudos: 9

I've moved from EdgeRouter to USG and this is a missing feature that on EdgeRouter simplyfied my life when I would understand what was going on on my network.

The little green bar on the client acivity doesn't tell so much, and under client -> statistics -> activity the bandwith doesn't reflect the real.

I don't undestand why implement so many unuseful graphics on Deep Packet Inspection and leave away a must to have feature like this?????!!!!

Emerging Member
Kudos: 3

[ Edited ]

I've moved from an AdvancedTomato based Netgear router to USG and the lack of this feature has been the bane of my existane Man Sad

AdvancedTomato is FULL of GUI features that would be EXTREMELY welcome on the USG 3P.

https://advancedtomato.com

Here is an example of the realtimne graph:

https://advancedtomato.com/images/screenshots/screen2-bwm.png

2 second interval, 10 minute window.. The Graph is SVG based and scrolls every 2 seconds.

So the EdgeRouter has this capability? Had I known I might have bought that instead.. Though I wanted a quiet, fanless solution :/

Regards,

Michal

Established Member
Kudos: 687
Solutions: 20

Edgerouter lite, Edgerouter POE, Edgerouter-X, and Edgerouter-X POE are fanless. I own 3 of the four listed here.

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudos to the people who have helped you out!
Emerging Member

Do they include all the features of the USG P3 also? I hate to throw money away, but if that's what I have to do to eliminate dozens of hours of frustration... :/

SuperUser
Kudos: 3128
Solutions: 126

+ 1

Kudos: 1

+++++1!

Also plus one

+1

Kudos: 78
Solutions: 10

[ Edited ]

+1

Great idea, maybe this is already implemented ?

It seems they are working on something similar, if not then you could comment or create a new one =)

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching-Feature/DPI-find-who-use-all-the-bandwidth/idc...

Every journey starts with a small step....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fiber -> USG 4 Pro (4.4.33) -> USW 16 Poe 150w (4.0.5) -> UAP AC PRO + Mesh (4.0.6)
CK (0.12.1/5.9.32)

How did you get iftop installed on your USG. I have a USG Pro 4 and cannot even use the wget function to install iftop. running firmware version 4.3.41.4975504

+1

+1

Kudos: 167
Solutions: 1

+1 

Miss this feature from my ERL