SuperUser
Kudos: 5521
Solutions: 381

Re: USG: Slow Internet speed - only 30%

andyc wrote:

or

show ubnt offload

That's it!  

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP
Kudos: 1

[ Edited ]

my results:

IP offload module : loaded
IPv4
forwarding: enabled
vlan : enabled
pppoe : enabled
gre : disabled
export : disabled
dpi : disabled
IPv6
vlan : enabled
pppoe : disabled

Kudos: 48
Solutions: 2

This is what I get:

Router:~$ show ubnt offload
IP offload module   : loaded
IPv4
  vlan      : enabled
  pppoe     : enabled
  gre       : disabled
  export    : disabled
  dpi       : enabled
IPv6
  vlan      : enabled
  pppoe     : disabled

IPSec offload module: loaded
USG4P / US-L2-24-POE / USW 24 POE-250W / USW 24 / USW 8 POE-150W / USW 8 POE-60 / USW 8 x 4/ UAP-AC-PRO x 2 / UAP-AC-HD / UAP-AC-SHD / UCK

are the results ok?

SuperUser
Kudos: 5521
Solutions: 381

uing wrote:

are the results ok?

Well, the offloading appears to still be active - so the performance issues have to be elsewhere Man Sad

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP
Kudos: 23
Solutions: 1

EricE wrote:

uing wrote:

are the results ok?

Well, the offloading appears to still be active - so the performance issues have to be elsewhere Man Sad

So, I had been hitting my head against the wall for the last 2 days over very similar issues.  Except mine were much worse than some of the others reported.  And I had read through a bunch of threads here trying to get the answers and hadn't found anything.  I have a 1GB/1GB fiber from Google.  I had been getting 400-500MBit down but a very consistent (and highly puzzling) 9-10MBit/s upload.  Then, this morning, there was an update to the USG firmware and it certainly made a huge difference.  My download was still sitting around 400-500MBit/s, but my upload jumped all the way to 900+MBit/s.  The firmware that made the difference for me was 4.3.46.4993089.

Then I managed to resolve the rest of my issue by figuring out that, as a google subscriber, the standard Ookla speedtest was part of the problem.  If you're a google fiber user, you can go to fiber.google.com and access your account.  When you select the Network tab on the left, there will be a Speedtest link in the page that comes up, just use the Speedtest from Google fiber if you are on a google fiber network.  I think, essentially, it's tuned for gigabit speeds.  Using it I got a consistent 900+/900+.  In addition, if you really want to use speedtest.net, then try using the Speedtest Beta.  I found the normal speedtest app gave me 400-500/900+, but the beta switched it back up to 900+/900+.  Again, I think this is a tuning issue in some cases.

In addition, while I ran these tests, I used ssh to log into my USG and ran top so I could see the load it placed on the unit.  With my network setup (three networks, one corporate and two guest, normal firewall rules plus a few custom extras of my own, about 15 port forwarding rules, DPI enabled, offloads enabled, no smart queues), the hardware offload was working perfectly and system usage at the 900+/900+ speeds from corporate lan to wan was only between 15-20% CPU.

I just repeated my tests, here's the results (I'm in Raleigh/Durham NC):

Regular speedtest.net to Raleigh Google host: 480ish/900+ 2ms

beta.speedtest.net to Raleigh Google host: 900+/900+ 2ms

fiber.google.com speedtest to Raleigh Google host: 920+/940+ 2ms

fiber.google.com speedtest to Atlanta Google host: 880/900 20ms (this one surprised me!)

So, long story short, today's firmware update fixed a big problem for me, but beyond that, make sure you use a reliable speed test method.  The client matters, and the host site matters.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 44

In my experience, www.dslreports.com/speedtest/ is the most reliable and best quality of analysis speed test around.

Note that I haven't used it with any kind of variety of fiber connections yet.

I have to revise this somewhat. I no longer think the firmware upgrade solved my upload issue, it was that I had manually installed the qos_egress mapping fix to the configuration on my USG, but that doesn't get applied immediately. You need to reboot the USG for it to take effect (you can check if it's enabled by looking at the contents of the /proc/net/vlan/eth2.2 file). The firmware upgrade gave me my reboot and things started working properly. Then I updated to the new stable RC 5.5.20 controller, which then reprovisioned the router without my egress mapping config, and again, it doesn't take effect until the router is rebooted, so the problem is not immediately apparent. I was able to log into the USG using ssh and verify that when the egress mapping is in place, I get high speeds, and if I remove the egress mapping, it drops back to 600/20 or 600/10 depending on which program I test with.

Does the qos egress mapping fix only apply to Google Fibre?

Yes, the egress mapping fix should be specific to google fiber.  AT&T fiber uses 801.1x authentication (which is why you have to keep the router and allow it to pass your authentication to the upstream equipment in order for your link to be provisioned and live).  Google doesn't use any authentication, it's just straight dhcp on vlan2.  However, their equipment phones home to get its configuration from Google's servers, and that's likely when it's told what egress mapping to use in order to get the speeds you've paid for.

Emerging Member

I've a very similar issue and I blamed the ISP but it can't be the USG can it ?

I'm getting approx half the speed I should be

I've been asked by my ISP to put their router back into router mode and test - I'll do that later

caffrey wrote:

I've a very similar issue and I blamed the ISP but it can't be the USG can it ?

I'm getting approx half the speed I should be

I've been asked by my ISP to put their router back into router mode and test - I'll do that later

I have the USG Pro 4, and it can easily do 1GBit/s both ways when running properly and configured the way your upstream provider requires.  I can't speak to their other hardware's capabilities.  And I can only speak to how to configure it for google fiber (for now, I have to switch to AT&T fiber when I move, which is only a little over a month from now, so I guess I'll get it figured out then).

Emerging Member

I've been running the USG since december 2016 without any speed issues until the last fortnight or so - not sure if it coincided with a firmware upgrade hence me blaming the ISP (They have been known to oversell)

I'll know more when I get round to bypassing the USG, it's just a bit of a chore

Just upgraded to latest beta (4.3.49.5001150) made no difference

If it did it before, then it can still do it provided the upstream network works with the same config as before. I don't see how it can be lack of capability on the part of the USG. Could easily be a change in the network though, either a case of overselling as you say, or even just some configuration change in their network infrastructure that has an unintended side effect of slowing your link down. Made that mistake once myself back in my administrator for an ISP days (that was a long time ago though, and we were still selling subscriptions to 14.4k dial up modems ;-)).
Emerging Member

Disabling and renabling DPI seems to have improved things, but they still aren't what they were might just be a false flag.

Incidentally upload speed hasn't been affected at all

I'll know more once I bypass the USG

caffrey wrote:

Disabling and renabling DPI seems to have improved things, but they still aren't what they were might just be a false flag.

Incidentally upload speed hasn't been affected at all

I'll know more once I bypass the USG

After doing a little research, it looks like the Security Gateway 4 Pro uses a Cavium 6120 CPU.  That's rated at 5Gbit/s+ of throughput without DPI, and 2GBit/s+ with DPI.  If all you have is one GBit or less uplink, then I don't think DPI will slow you down (if you have a different model of USG then that changes things, and if you have more than one LAN port in use on your USG then that might effect things too).

Emerging Member

Hrrm,

This morning, it's completely back to normal, if not better. I very much doubt it was the USG (I never doubted it in the first place), I just noticed this thread and thought that it sounds similar to my issue.

I think disabling and renabling DPI / updating firmware to latest beta was just a coincidence but I'll monitor it

By sheer coincedence getting in touch with the ISP seems to have fixed it even though they said they can't test until their equipment is back in router mode..

Changed my modem from a Fritz!Box 6490 cable modem to a Hitron CGNV4, which is set to bridge mode. Still the same problem: Download speed is max. 200 mbit with the USG. Without USG I get 400.

Wassini wrote:

I have a 300/300 Mb/s fiber and testing this (using speedtest.net) gives me 320/270 Mb/s... Thats ok.

2 Fiberbox.png

But testing the connection via my USG, I get 100/90 Mb/s:

3 USG (CAT 7 kabel).png

(sometimes only 50/50)

I'm using a 30 cm CAT7 cable between the fiberbox and the USG.

Model: UniFi Security Gateway 3P
Version: 4.3.41.4975503
Bandwidth limit: Unlimited
DPI is Off

There is a fundamental difference between cable modem Internet providers and Fiber internet providers.  With a cable modem, the upstream ISP has to provision your modem on the network, and in that provisioning the modem is told how many and what channels it can sync up to.  For slower speeds, they simply tell the modem that it can use a few channels, for higher speeds they tell the modem it can use more channels.  In this way, the upstream ISP has total control over your connection speed and it's handled at the modem as each channel has a limited bandwidth and to get anything very fast at all, you need lots of channels bonded together.  When they say that a cable modem is DOCSIS 3.0 with 16 down and 8 up, the number of channels the modem can support bonding together is what they are talking about.

Fiber is different in that you have an optical medium in use, and that optical medium itself has a specific, fixed speed.  If I remember correctly, common fiber PON (Passive Optical Network) terminators are usually at 1.5GBits down and 1GBit up (check Ubiquiti's new fiber PON terminator to see what I'm talking about).  The reason I bring this up is because, unlike cable, fiber connections are not broken down into channels that the upstream ISP can assign to you in order to enforce your bandwidth.  Instead, they have to find other means to throttle your link to whatever speed they have sold you, because your *actual* link speed is whatever the speed of the fiber is, no matter what you've paid for.  Google uses a vlan with a specific priority tag in order to signal to the upstream routing equipment what speed you should be allowed to send at, and when you try to send faster, it drops packets to force the connection to slow down.  AT&T uses 802.1x authentication on your link to identify you to the upstream equipment that will then do the same thing and throttle your link based upon who it thinks you are and what you've paid for.  I don't know who your fiber provider is, but my guess is that they have their own method of controlling your bandwidth and in order to get the USG to perform at full speed, you need to set up your WAN link to do whatever it is that your network needs.

If you have a Ubiquiti switch and a linux computer (you can probably do this with Windows too, but I wouldn't know how, and I'm sure you can do it with a Mac as well, the instructions there would be similar to linux), then you could create the following:

Shut down your ISP provided router.  Plug the fiber terminal into one port of your switch, plug the fiber jack of your router into another, make sure both of these ports are on their own isolated vlan, then set up a third port as a mirror of either of these two ports, run that mirror port into a spare network port on a machine you have, then start a packet capture on that mirror link, then fire up your ISP provided router and capture what it does when it initially boots up and logs into the network, then run a speed test and capture that taking place too so you can see how the packets are being sent upstream.  After that's all done, shut down the capture, kill the mirror on that port, and kill the two ports on the switch, you won't need them any more.  Analyze the packets in your capture and look for things like 802.1x authentication, or vlans, or priority tags, or anything else that doesn't exactly match what a packet capture looks like when coming from your USG to the fiber terminal.  Somewhere in there, you should find the magic sauce that enables your 300/300 speeds.  I say this because 100/100 or 50/50 is too regular to be a permance issue with the USG's forwarding rates.  That smacks of throttling, and that means you need to find out how your link is identified as a 300/300 link and repeat it on your USG to get full speeds.

That's what things really look like to me anyway.  Best of luck on all of this!