Kudos: 1
Accepted Solution

USG Upgrade Firmware

[ Edited ]

Forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I just recently setup the security gateway along with the access point. Out of the box i hit the "upgrade" button in the controller to update the firmware, however nothing actually gets upgraded. It just goes offline, acts like its going to upgrade, and reboots with the same version number and the upgrade button is still there.. Any thoughts? The AP-AC-PRO that I configured upgraded perfectly without a problem.

Capture.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 14178
Solutions: 594
Contributions: 20

Re: USG Upgrade Firmware

timothy0389 wrote:

Thank you very much for the quick response! I was tinkering around while waiting for a response and I ended up doing a "custom upgrade" and pasted the UBNT link to the firmware into the download field. It completed the upgrade without a problem.

You're very welcome! Perfect, that works too. I only suggested SSH so you could visually see the progress, but I should've included both. Glad to hear that it's successfully upgraded.

Cheers,

Mike

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee

timothy0389 wrote:

Forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I just recently setup the security gateway along with the access point. Out of the box i hit the "upgrade" button in the controller to update the firmware, however nothing actually gets upgraded. It just goes offline, acts like its going to upgrade, and reboots with the same version number and the upgrade button is still there.. Any thoughts? The AP-AC-PRO that I configured upgraded perfectly without a problem.

Hmm, you may want to try this via SSH, then you can see what is happening. Assuming you're using 4.8.14 then the firmware is hosted on our CDN. Once connected to the USG via SSH, try the following two commands (in order):

sudo su
upgrade https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/UGW3/4.3.11.4852825/UGW3.v4.3.11.4852825.tar

Let me know if there is an error printed.

Cheers,

Mike

Thank you very much for the quick response! I was tinkering around while waiting for a response and I ended up doing a "custom upgrade" and pasted the UBNT link to the firmware into the download field. It completed the upgrade without a problem.

Ubiquiti Employee

timothy0389 wrote:

You're very welcome! Perfect, that works too. I only suggested SSH so you could visually see the progress, but I should've included both. Glad to hear that it's successfully upgraded.

Cheers,

Mike

The Problem is, that UGW3 firmware is not included in the controller.

Tested on Mac 4.8.14

And SSH is not working ?!

root@ubnt:~# upgrade https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/UGW3/4.3.11.4852825/UGW3.v4.3.11.4852825.tar
bash: upgrade: command not found
Kudos: 18
Solutions: 1

Hi,

I recently upgraded an USG that was running an older firmware version, and the "upgrade" command also did not work. This is what I did to get it working, doing a "local upgrade":

1. Downloaded the latest firmware from here: https://www.ubnt.com/download/unifi-switching-routing/usg/usg

2. Copy the downloaded file "upgrade.tar" to the USG: (assume you're using the built-in "ubnt" user account)

cd [directory where you downloaded "upgrade.tar"]

scp upgrade.tar ubnt@[ip address of your USG]:/home/ubnt

3. SSH in to your USG and issue the local upgrade command:

ssh ubnt@[ip address of your USG]

sudo syswrapper.sh upgrade upgrade.tar

4. The USG will initiate the upgrade process and reboot

Based on instructions I found here:

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204910064-UniFi-Changing-the-firmware-of-a-UniFi-device#trou...

Kudos: 5

This is some cool stuff

Kudos: 4

I am having trouble getting my USG (192.168.1.1) to connect to my PPPoE WAN connection (which works perfectly OK with another router) and I'm trying to upgrade the firmware of my USG to the latest version in case the old firmware is at fault.

I have tried multiple times in my UniFi Controller (v. 5.4.9) that's hosted on my main computer (192.168.1.17) to upgrade the firmware but although it goes through the motions, (saying it's upgrading and rebooting), the USG always comes back with the same old firmware.

I am a home user and unfamiliar with SSH (though I can copy/paste commands into the Mac Terminal!) and I've been attempting to get the USG to upgrade via SSH but I need some help with the syntax for the commands.

Having downloaded the USG firmware (v 4.3.33) to my desktop computer at 192.168.1.17 and having logged on correctly to the USG at 192.168.1.1 via SSH, I'm now at a loss as to how to copy the TAR file (which I have renamed "upgrade.tar") to the USG.

I think once I've done that I can then run the command that @kevpatt mentioned below:

scp upgrade.tar ubnt@192.168.1.1:/home/ubnt

Thanks in advance!

Raf

Having downloaded the USG firmware (v 4.3.33) to my desktop computer at 192.168.1.17 and having logged on correctly to the USG at 192.168.1.1 via SSH, I'm now at a loss as to how to copy the TAR file (which I have renamed "upgrade.tar") to the USG.

I think once I've done that I can then run the command that @kevpatt mentioned below:

Thanks in advance!

Raf

This is the copy command. Just open "Terminal" on your Mac, go to the folder where "upgrade.tar" is and run this scp command,

Kudos: 4

[ Edited ]

Thanks @sdiehl...

So I copied the file by navigating to the folder on my Mac:

cd /Users/[MYUSERNAME]/Downloads

and then I executed the command to copy the file:

I then used the following command to execute the upgrade:

which is listed on this Ubiquiti support page.

The USG re-booted and now displays the correct firmware.

@sdiehl - if you are ever in London let me know and I will shout you a beer for the quick and helpful pointer!

Kudos: 564

This worked great for me!

For anyone who did not have the above steps work for them. I have gotten the web UI to work in my specific scenario by caching the firmware to the controller software in settings. Not sure what step actually fixed what was wrong but it was an odd progression to the update for me.

Scenario:

- USG at 4.3.33 upgrading to current 4.4.12

- Controller software hosted on PC

Steps tried in order:

- Normal update (Downloaded then failed)

- Custom update to the URL from support site for 4.4.12 (Failed)

- SSH method using same URL (Displayed some codes, none seemed like errors, then back to shell prompt quickly)

- Cached the update via controller (This worked, showed 98 MB in size)

- Normal update - Successful.

Note: it appeared to download the firmware again anyway so not sure what the cache function is actually for.

Cache worked for me..

TY

Hi!

did all the steps above and I can see that terminal/ssh uploaded the file into USG 

but when I want to do the command

I only get the message: sudo: syswrapper.sh: command not found 

what am I doing wrong? 

Succeded with the update through the controller when I took the USG to an working network!

My adoption loop is sorted Man Wink

Upgraded by ssh: 

sudo su
upgrade https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/UGW4/4.4.29.5124212/UGW4.v4.4.29.5124212.tar

Thank you.

Thanks - I couldn't upgrade but this did the trick.