Kudos: 2

USG and ATT GigaPower - Slow speeds since Nov 12

Like others have begun to report, Internet speeds from USG setup with ATT GigaPower 1Gbps have dropped dramatically since MOnday. (e.g. New USG deployment seeing extremely slow speeds over the WAN). Wanted to share my details:

Hardware has been in place for 1+ years, working fine until Monday. No hardware changes, no software updates, no firmware updates (unless it did automatically), no other known changes. ATT of course offers no details about any changes on their side.

My hardware (plus Pace 5268AC gateway that AT&T provides you with)

ubnt hardware.jpg

All troubleshooting is currently being done WIRED to device (though wireless has same issue). Speedtest wired  to Gateway:

1.jpg

Speedtest wired to USG2.jpg

Pace 5268AC gateway is set to no firewall and DMZPlus, essentially passing through connection.

Things that I have tried:

• Verified that hardware offloading is enabled
  • Verified that IDS/IPS is disabled. Including enabling (which showed same speeds), then disabling again
  • Rebooted all devices (multiple instances)

USG Details:

ubnt usg services.jpgubnt unifi settings.jpgubnt usg offload.jpgubnt usg show interfaces.jpg

Re: USG and ATT GigaPower - Slow speeds since Nov 12

Just going to chime in here as the originator of the other thread that was mentioned here; I'm having the same issue as the one reported in this thread and have followed nearly identical trouble shooting steps.

[ Edited ]

Additional things tried:

• Downgraded firmware to 4.4.28 - no change
  • Downgraded firmware to 4.4.22 - no change
  • Upgraded back to 4.4.29 - no change
  • Tried MSS Clamping at 1412, 1452, and Auto. Changed back to "disabled"
  • Tried "Enable Hardware Offload", "Enable offload Scheduler", "Enable offload Layer 2 blocking" both checked and unchecked. Allowing time to provision and check inbetween
  • Tried all 4 ports on ATT Gateway

This seams more and more like something changed on ATT end which the USG doesn't like or isn't compatible with yet. 

Help! ....?

Also here is copy of "sudo top" while a speedtest was running as mentioned in another thread

sudo top.jpg

I'm beginning to believe that is the case, of the 3 threads that I've been paying attention too they've had these in common:

• USG
  • AT&T Gigapower
  • Pace 5268AC RSG in DMZ+ Mode

It can't be a coincidence that we're seeing nearly identical issues.

Kudos: 3

Not sure if it's related or not... but I noticed a route change with AT&T this past monday between Cogent and AT&T, since then several sites I monitor here in Texas reported higher than normal latency traversing different network peers...  however going within the AT&T network the same sites reported the norm 6-9ms.  I have started to see latency go back to normal levels starting around 2PM (Central US) earlier.  

Well good news and bad news.... 

Had ATT technician come out, because even without ubiquiti equipment in the mix I was still not happy with my connection speeds. He replaced the outside ONT with one inside, so now fiber comes from street into the house. And have a 7ft copper cable from that into the ATT Gateway. Let's just say that fixed my speed issue, as I now pull average of 980Mbps up and down. 

Plugged all Ubiquiti equipment back in, same issue and capped at about 50 Mbps. Although better than the 25Mbps before, I attribute that to fixing speeds on the incoming line. 

Then ... talked him into replaceing the gateway. Went from the Pace 5268AC to an Arris BGW210-700. Once I got that all setup and configured as passthrough.... BOOM! 980 Mbps up and down through ubiquiti equipment. Been stable for about 30 minutes now.

!!! Also learned that the Pace 5268AC gateway had a "software" update this weekend. Probably meant firmware, but it mounts the evidence that there may be some compatability problems between USG and Pace gateway. Not sure who's at fault or what, but more and more evidence is suggesting that changes on ATT side may not be playing nice anymore.

image.png

Kudos: 64
Solutions: 13

I eliminated the AT&T gateways from the five AT&T gigapower sites I managed and have never looked back.  Two sites have USGs and three have Edgerouters.  Absolutely no issues since making the changes.

Instructions can be found Here.  

Kudos: 4
Solutions: 1

I was having the same problem with the Pace router and my USG.  I also bypassed the gateway using these instructions:  

https://medium.com/@mrtcve/at-t-gigabit-fiber-modem-bypass-using-unifi-usg-updated-c628f7f458cf

And it worked like a champ.  Pretty easy too.

Cheers!

Mike

I have the same issue, except i have a USG-Pro. When i try to follow https://medium.com/@mrtcve/at-t-gigabit-fiber-modem-bypass-using-unifi-usg-updated-c628f7f458cf

The following issue

[2018-11-14 17:39:02,547]: exception in getifhwaddr line 157 (IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/sys/class/net/eth0.0/address'); restarting in 10 seconds
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/config/scripts/eap_proxy.py", line 521, in proxy_forever
    self.proxy_loop()
  File "/config/scripts/eap_proxy.py", line 541, in proxy_loop
    on_poll_event(socks[fd], event)
  File "/config/scripts/eap_proxy.py", line 559, in on_poll_event
    self.on_router_eap(eap)
  File "/config/scripts/eap_proxy.py", line 588, in on_router_eap
    if self.os.getmac(if_vlan) == eap.src:
  File "/config/scripts/eap_proxy.py", line 421, in getmac
    return getifhwaddr(ifname)
  File "/config/scripts/eap_proxy.py", line 157, in getifhwaddr
    with open("/sys/class/net/%s/address" % ifname) as f:
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/sys/class/net/eth0.0/address'

I don't know how to deal with this, the issue i think is the eap_proxy.sh

#!/bin/sh
# Startup script for eap_proxy.py. Place eap_proxy.py in /config/scripts and
# place this in /config/scripts/post-config.d
#
IF_WAN=eth0
IF_LAN=eth2
CONFIG_OPTIONS=(
    --restart-dhcp --ignore-when-wan-up --ignore-logoff --ping-gateway --set-mac)
DAEMON_OPTIONS=(--daemon --pidfile /var/run/eap_proxy.pid --syslog)
/usr/bin/python /config/scripts/eap_proxy.py \
    "$IF_WAN" "$IF_LAN" "${CONFIG_OPTIONS[@]}" "${DAEMON_OPTIONS[@]}" &

I am the file i downloaded had IF_ROUTER=eth2 and since that wasn't mentioned for eth2 i changed both references to IF_LAN.

Any help would be great.

@notyouraccount man this is great info; I'm going to get on the horn with AT&T and get them to come out and replace my Pace with the Arris.  Thanks for sharing your findings.

I left IF_ROUTER alone instead of following the instructions.  I did get an error when running the initial test but I ignored it as I was able to get to a web site.  

My eap_proxy.sh looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
# Startup script for eap_proxy.py. Place eap_proxy.py in /config/scripts and
# place this in /config/scripts/post-config.d
#
IF_WAN=eth0
IF_ROUTER=eth2
CONFIG_OPTIONS=(
--restart-dhcp --ignore-when-wan-up --ignore-logoff --ping-gateway --set-mac)
DAEMON_OPTIONS=(--daemon --pidfile /var/run/eap_proxy.pid --syslog)
/usr/bin/python /config/scripts/eap_proxy.py \
"$IF_WAN" "$IF_ROUTER" "${CONFIG_OPTIONS[@]}" "${DAEMON_OPTIONS[@]}" &

(Note that indentation is off in the pasted script above.  Use for verification, don't cut and paste.)

My guess is that's at least part if not all of your issue.

Cheers!

Mike

I'm on the Arris NVG599 w/ USG and was consistently getting 800-900 both down and up.  Based on this thread, I checked my speed this morning, and am only getting 300-450 down, but 800+ up.  The numbers from the ATT speedtest and Ookla are usually similar.

I am going to try to reboot the RG and the USG.  

Moral of the story: I am not sure moving the to ARRIS NVG599 will solve this issue.

@PhobicCarrot in the other thread @notyouraccount reports that the Arris BGW210-700 works perfectly which is what I'm going to try and get my hands on.

I'm talking to AT&T tech support right now.  They said the BGW 210-700 is the newest gateway they have so hopefully it will work.  If not, I'm pretty sure the bypass I did earlier will work with the Arris as well.  Looks like right now the Arris is not available in my area so I will have to stick with the bypass for now.

Mike

@mflannery Yes, I'm on the phone with AT&T tech support as well.

300-450 Mbps down is far better that what we were/are getting. It appeared that the d/l was capped below 50Mbps with the Pace equipment due to changes(?) this weekend.

For reference, here is what I did on the BG210 (post 20 in case link doesn't work)  ...    Re: USG and ATT uverse gateway? . I DID NOT update the firware (on 1.5.12)

Also more specific instructions here (says NVG589 but is essentially the same)

Again, it appears I took the cheap way out by not actually getting a resolution to the initial issue, but can confirm I was having the issue and different hardware has resolved. At least so far Man Happy

@notyouraccount thanks for the link; technician is coming out with the BG210 tomorrow morning.  I'll report back with my findings.

Kudos: 3

So glad I’m not alone with this. I’ve been going nuts doing factory resets and readoptions etc. one thing I have noticed is in cascaded router mode, I get the same, still crippled speed as directly into the Pace (600ish). The firewall aspects break though. I haven’t tried opening all ports through the cascade though, may try that when I get back from out of town. 

I couldnt even get web web traffic to flow in dmz + without manually setting mss clipping to 1452. Left on auto it wouldn’t pass anything but port forwarded traffic and barely. 

Will try try getting them to bring new RG but will play around with cascaded router until I get firm fix. 

[ Edited ]

Quick question. I havent done this yet because I'm not sure if IPTV still works ike this if still plugged in to the att router. Does it?

Thanks.