Kudos: 2

Re: USG and ATT GigaPower - Slow speeds since Nov 12

Such a waste of money and time with ATT. They could eaisly just roll back the firmware and problem solved instead waste time with support, and waste money with shipping a new modem and cost to send a technican out......kinda dumb to me. I am surprised they havent rolled it back yet. Someone on this thread shared a way to rolll the firware back yourself to solve the problem. 

Solutions: 1

I didn't see instructions on rolling it back, but even if you did that wouldn't it just auto upgrade again in the future?

They have stopped pushing the update, but havent gotten to rolling stuff back. My pace is on an older firmware and it hasnt updated. Mine has been working like normal again. 

Chatted with support last night, setup an appointment right away to for a tech to come out and replace the PACE gateway with the Arris.  Seemed like they knew the drill of what is happening.  

Hello eveyrone I was wondering if you could help me with a question. Those of you that are using , or used before the ATT Pace modem what did you have checked under enhanced security on the Pace Advanced settings tab ??? Should any of these boxes be checked or should I uncheck them all ??? Thanks.

Enhanced Security
Stealth Mode   Enable
Block Ping   Enable
Reflexive ACL   Enable
Warning: Turning OFF Reflexive ACL will allow all unsolicited traffic to LAN.
Strict UDP Session Control   Enable
UDP Session Timeout 
seconds (60-43200 seconds , default = 600 seconds)
TCP Session Timeout 
seconds (300-86400 seconds, default = 86400 seconds)

@schpeen wrote:

Hello eveyrone I was wondering if you could help me with a question. Those of you that are using , or used before the ATT Pace modem what did you have checked under enhanced security on the Pace Advanced settings tab ??? Should any of these boxes be checked or should I uncheck them all ??? Thanks.

Enhanced Security
Stealth Mode   Enable
Block Ping   Enable
Reflexive ACL   Enable
Warning: Turning OFF Reflexive ACL will allow all unsolicited traffic to LAN.
Strict UDP Session Control   Enable
UDP Session Timeout 
seconds (60-43200 seconds , default = 600 seconds)
TCP Session Timeout 
seconds (300-86400 seconds, default = 86400 seconds)

I don't have access to it right now, but this is working for me in DMZ+ mode.  Previously I had everything checked under Attack Detection and it broke on Nov. 12.  The fix for me was unchecking all of those items.

11) Uncheck the following: Stealth Mode, Block Ping, Strict UDP Session Control.
12) Check everything under Outbound Protocol Control except NetBIOS.
13) Uncheck NetBIOS under Inbound Protocol Control.

14) UNCheck everything under Attack Detection

From this thread (https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/USG-behind-AT-amp-T-Pace-5268AC/td-p/1991523) with my revision underlined in step 14.

@cb8three what about reflexive ACL? Should that be checked or unchecked ?

[ Edited ]

@schpeen wrote:

@cb8three what about reflexive ACL? Should that be checked or unchecked ?

I think that is one of the newer features that I didn't find documentation on when I did my setup.  I'll have to double check my configuration when I get home and I'll take a screenshot and send an update.

UPDATE: Look like I have it on:

PACE.JPG

I had this same issue. I was able to fix it.

AT&T tech said since my modem is on bridge mode. I need to make sure my 5Ghz WiFI network is disabled. Along with all the WiFI bands disabled. Once the AT&T tech disabled 5Ghz WiFI, which was the only one enabled.

I started getting my Fiber connection speeds.

Hope this helps anyone out there!

I posted recently that the issue was resolved by disabling 5Ghz WiFi connection and power cycling the modem. This did not fix the speed issue. AT&T is now ordering me a new modem that is made for gaming. He said its a much better Modem. Just letting you all know that there is a better modem available.

Kudos: 3

I would've been surprised to hear turn off a radio fixed a throughput issue of wired access types. I have read previously that even with the 5GHz radio being off, it still puts out an invisible SSID. I never saw any mention of that bug being fixed either, but I could be wrong. When i had a Pace still, i set the transmit power on the 5G as low as it could go, 10 i think, and made the password really complex just to remove it from being a point of concern. 

Good luck with the new modem.

I'm glad I found this thread. I've been stumped by the sudden drop from 900+/900+ down to 50/150 without any changes to my configuration. I have the AT&T Pace modem, but I never had the wifi interfaces turned on, so that wasn't a factor for me.

AT&T is sending me a new Arris modem, but I ended up trying out the modem bypass that others linked to (https://medium.com/@mrtcve/at-t-gigabit-fiber-modem-bypass-using-unifi-usg-updated-c628f7f458cf) which I now have up and running and my speeds are back!

One thing I'm not sure about is what changes will be needed once the new modem arrives. I expect a reboot of the USG and modem should get the new MAC address, but we'll see. I'm also not sure if I always need the AT&T modem up and running or if it is only needed when getting new IP address leases. I suppose I need to keep it connected and on either way.

Kudos: 3

My understanding is with the modem bypass, you only need to hook the pace/arris back up when the system gets a power cycle. 

The att router gets and establishes the dhcp reservation, hands your USG the public IP and then you do the same bypass again. 

Wait, you can remove the Pace/Arris?  It’s only needed for a DHCP reservation?  Because I’ve had to set my public IP statically due to some other issue with dropped packets every 10 mins due to it renewing the DHCP lease.  

Yes you can remove it if you only have internet ....as far as I was told but if you have cable or home phone you need the modem. 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 44

I found a far easier solution. Go to AT&T's customer support portal and run thru the "I'm having trouble with my internet connection" questionaire.   It'll eventually offer to remotely reboot the modem.  This isn't just a power cycle.  They seemingly reset everything between the USG and AT&T's CO.

I went from maybe 50Mb/s down + 200Mb/s up to what you see below.

So, stupid that it broke in the first place, but kudos to AT&T for having an online quick and easy fix that didn't require interacting with a human reading from a script!

[ Edited ]

Had a tech come out to install the Arris and everything is back to normal.  Support had tried to reboot everything remotely but it did not fix my issues.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 44

Sounds definitely like you had a fried modem.  

I'd love to get rid of this one and move to one that could be a dead simple bridge between fiber and USG.   

I don't really like the hack to eliminate the AT&T modem;  too much potential for it to go offline.

For any of you seeing 900+/900+ speeds, what is your setup to the point where you are seeing that speed? Is it at the AT&T gateway or your UGS or Ubiquiti Switch?

I've got (supposedly) 1000 Mbps to the fiber converter, Cat6 for about 60 feet from the fiber converter to a punchdown panel, 2 foot Cat6 from punchdown to AT&T gateway, and I am still only seeing 500-600 Mbps down and the same or less up.  Seeing about 20Mbps less than that through my Ubiquiti switch post-UGS, and then about 130 Mbps through the UAP nanoHD line of sight, 5 GHz network, about 4 feet from the AP.

Problem is if they are doing a full factory reset, which is most likely, they just put you into double NAT mode which isn't where the problem is.  The problem is running DMZ+ mode and giving your USG a public IP address.

I just went the eap_proxy bypass route, was super easy, works like a charm and no more at&t equipment in the middle.