Emerging Member
Kudos: 44
Solutions: 1

Re: USG and ATT GigaPower - Slow speeds since Nov 12

The remote reset triggers a firmware downgrade which fixes the problem.

It also resets some settings.

Boo.

I doubt they are doing a firmware downgrade, that causes some issues (can't disable wifi devices).  I would bet if you checked it you are still on the same version just running a double NAT and therefore don't have the issue.

Emerging Member

They really are doing a downgrade. And it really does cause some issues. Like re-enabling 5ghz wifi and bunging up the already mucked up DMZ config.

Resetting the configurations, though, and it works fine now. Though I'd really like to get a modem that does a proper passthrough.

Great news!  Just received the new modem in the mail!  And, it's a Pace.  Mad5

Kudos: 3

[ Edited ]

@tetherton, as long as it's a Pace with a firmware that is not defective, that should effectively cure your problem. I heard Pace-users complain about the Pace but the forums seem to be just as full of complaints about the Arris... I have no personal preference. And a similar firmware update that "bricked" the Pace could be rolled out to an Arris at any time...

But it would be great for all of us to know if AT&T sends out Pace's with a proper firmware version. Many have complained like you and ordered technicians to come out to their house. Where in fact all of that could have been unnecessary. Could you let all of us know? I downgraded to a 10.5 version, which is a bit too old for my taste and AT&T has NOT pushed out any updates to it since I downgraded. So I would be interested in getting a replacement with a more current firmware.

[ Edited ]

New Pace modem sent to me has the faulty firmware version 11.1.0.531418

@vscheuber

Kudos: 3

@tetherton, ugh... looks like your anger was justified... Is that the version causing the issue? I know 11.1.x but I can't remember "x". I'm sorry! I was so hopeful that AT&T would have the smarts to send out devices that are staged with the right version!

@vscheuber  I was connected w/ level 2 support who supposedly sent the Arris.  It will be here by Thursday they said.  I'll report back.  If it's a Pace then I'm going to have to consider other options such as getting a tech out, downgrading firmware, or maybe even the EAP proxy thing since I only have internet service through AT&T.

I setup of the eap_proxy finally after all the firmware non-sense, was dead simple and I'm disapointed in myself that I didn't do it sooner.

Kudos: 4

I also did the eap proxy. It was really easy. 

For some reason my eap proxy will not run by default on boot, has anyone run into this?

Did you 'chmod +x' the eap_proxy.sh script?

yep and it shows proper flags on the file

Went through the whole exercise with them. Requested the BGW210, received another Pace. Had issues adopting, so ended up having the tech come out. I still run Uverse on Coax for my set top boxes and I wasn't planning on running cat 5 to replace those. The BGW210 does not have COAX port for the STB's. Only Cat5 and wireless and will only run 2 STBs on cat 5 and 2 wireless. 

Tech bought me a new Pace when he came to visit - explained the whole setup to him and we still ended up with the Pace. Screaming along  on initial test. Tech took it through the upgrade to the 11.x firmware and the performance dropped. Downgraded it to version 10.5.3 and the performance picked up again. Tried the 10.7.0 firmware but it has major UI performance issues - network perfomrance ok, as long as you don't try to change any settings on the gateway - UI is slower than molasses in a Minesota winter.  Took it back to  10.5.3 and it's screaming along happily. 

Short answer - downgrade the firmware if you have Uverse TV with Coax running to the STB's. BGW210's not going to do it for you unless you replace cables.

Kudos: 2

[ Edited ]

@lodewyks   how do you downgrade? do you or anyone else have directions on how to do this?? I am on 10.7 and my speeds are good but not as great as they use to be before this whole mess. Before I could easly hit 940 up and down and now I am getting about 840-850 so if downgrading will get me back to normal I would like to try it. 

Emerging Member

Dammit.

AT&T customer support recognized the problem and sent me a "non pace modem" that "supported pass through".

What did I recieve today?

A dammed Pace 5268AC.

Incompetent buffoons.

Kudos: 73
Solutions: 4

Just wanted to chime in here that AT&T support for fiber is absolutely useless.  I had the same problem as you, extremely slow speeds, even sometimes getting 30+ % packet loss.  I called AT&T upwards of 40 times, had 6 scheduled visits (the first 4 of which nobody even showed up, wasting 4 days of my time).  I finally emailed the office of the president/CEO...that finally got someone competent to come out.   What did it end up being?  their crappy modems.  I went through 3 PACE POS gateways before finally getting a 4th that worked well.   Since then it's been super stable at ~900/900, but man what a darn headache.

Emerging Member

Yeah-- I don't think it is the hardware. It appears to be a firmware issue. So, a spoon as you get a firmware push, you'll have awful bandwidth again.

I went thru the customer support chat route and "Steve" promised to send me a non-PACE modem.... yeah, no, got the same damned thing.

Tons of reports show that said modem, running latest firmware, limits DMZ use to ~45Mbps. And if you downgrade? You'll get real bandwidth.
Kudos: 1

I had the same experience. Based on this thread, I contacted support about the issue, and they immediately decided to send a new router. It arrived, and, contrary to what was promised, was the Pace router. It did, however, have the 10.7.x firmware installed. For about 5 minutes. It then did an auto update to 11.1.x, and the problems immediately reappeared. I have (I hope temporarily) gone the EAP Proxy route, which works fine.

I want to note that the problems I observed are not limited to the 50 Mbps down / 150+Mbps up bandwidth that is the most obvious symptom. I observed two other problems:
1. scp failure, and increased incidence of ssh session failures. I could reliably demonstrate failure of scp from behind the Pace DMZPluz (i.e. from a unifi-routed network), but then copy the exact file from the same source to same destination when on the Pace wifi.
2. QoS-tagged packet failure in the Discord app. I didn't put this together until later, but observed that QoS-tagged VOIP packets from Discord (a gaming-focused VOIP solution) where being dropped after the first few packets. I could work around that by dropping the QoS tagging.

I have verified that taking the Pace equipment with 11.x firmware out of the network path (using the EAP Proxy solution) does solve the first issue. I haven't bothered to retest anything related to the second issue.

One question: will EAP Proxy use inhibit the Pace's future auto-updates of firmware?

Kudos: 2

Wanted to chime in. I got another replacement Pace as well due to this same problem and when the technician set it up seems to be on 10.7 and has been that way now for almost 2 weeks and it hasn’t updated to 11.1. Strange that some are updating to new firmware and some aren’t. I’m crossing my fingers mine doesn’t update because I can’t usw the Arris due to my need for coaxial for boxes. I’m getting about 900 up and down