Re: USG and ATT GigaPower - Slow speeds since Nov 12

Just called them to verify what they shipped.   No details given in the order info I have in email or online.  Ten minutes later....they are checking with the shipping department.   No one knows.  Fingers crossed.  

Solutions: 1

@jasondeans I got an email when it shipped from "AT&T Update"

The dates didn't make sense, but it did tell me what they sent.

Shipping Method: UPS
Shipped On: 12/14/2018
Expected Arrival Date: 12/12/2018
Item Shipped: 2Wire 5268AC
Tracking <tracking here>

Thank you all for your help, I have had this issue since the 12th and been troubleshooting it since.  I was able to get AT&T to ship me a new modem (coming in tomorrow).  But, with the modem firmware downgrade I was able to get back to my normal speeds!!

Thanks to everyone again!

Double check that order!!  As someone warned me....they shipped me the Pace again!  

Shipping Method: FDX
Shipped On: 12/19/2018
Expected Arrival Date: 12/19/2018
Item Shipped: 2Wire 5268AC
Tracking <redacted>

Kudos: 3

That’s another Pace. Just take it right back to UPS store. 

I called back and had them send a tech. He came out today with the Arris BGW210-700. He said I’m the 6th person he visited today with this exact problem. Also that the customer service reps can only send out equipment that you already have on your acct.

I said I was considering the EAP proxy route and he warned me that ATT could blacklist me when they see my device is missing, as well as will automatically send a trouble call out if they can’t detect the equipment. Idk how much of this is talk or truth.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 44

That is not correct. The service reps very much CAN send out equipment other than what you already have. The 599 I have at home as a replacement for the replacement pace they sent to replace my pace is proof positive.

They service reps just suck at actually doing that. Or AT&T's customer support backend sucks.

I'd go the EAP ploy route, but I really want to remain supported and, yeah, they could muck with that at any time. Though I do suspect the tech was telling you a fish story because scaring customers into sticking with supported configurations reduces the # of support calls (save for when the push crap firmware).
Kudos: 4

The eap route does not remove the att gateway from the network. The gateway is still there, it’s just on a vlan connected to the ont through the USG. When I called ATT I flat out told them that I was doing a bypass and if they did not like it they needed to send me the correct gateway. They sent me a pace so I sent it back. If they blacklist me I’ll repeat my request for a gateway that works. In the meantime, the att (pace) gateway is still there, it’s just connected through the USG instead of the USG connected thru the ATT Gateway. The biggest problem is that you lose the second lan port on the USG. 

Mike

We were experiencing this issue as well.  I had found this thread on the AT&T forums on it (it starts off old but there are some current posts there).  I believe there was a firmware update pushed to the 5268's that is causing all the trouble.  I don't have any details -- this is just what I have been able to piece together so far.

If I turned off DMZ+ on the 5268 we would get full speed 900/900.  With it on we would get ~50Mbit down and ~150Mbit up.

I had a nightmare of a time with support on this.  6 or 7 calls and 4 or 5 chats...I had to completely start over each time.  When I could convince someone to switch out my router they would send me another 5268 (I currently have three to send back to AT&T).  Apparently, the techs were trying to make the system send out the BGW210 but it would get switched to the 5268 as it shipped.

I was finally able to get a house-call -- I told support to note for them to not even come out if they were bringing another 5268.

Guess what they were bringing?

At least the guy called me first and was willing to work with me.  He was able to find a BGW210-700 (he said they were no longer in use...and I got the last one in the area.  This is  north central Texas BTW - I don't know if I believe him but that's what he said). 

I got the 210 set up and popped it into passthrough mode and the speed is back to normal.  

Support was absolutely clueless.

Kudos: 2

Just setup the eapproxy on my USG (I have the BGW210/Gigapower... just don't like having the ATT Router... they aren't very good)... it was a bit more complex as my controller is cloud hosted, so when I made the VLAN change my internet went dead and the USG wouldn't accept any more provisions... my advice, add all the networks, and the VERY last step would be set the VLAN to 0. Otherwise its working great and I'm bypassed... latency dropped, and everything is running nice and fast.

[ Edited ]

@kc_c4 wrote:

At least the guy called me first and was willing to work with me.  He was able to find a BGW210-700 (he said they were no longer in use...and I got the last one in the area.  This is  north central Texas BTW - I don't know if I believe him but that's what he said).  

210 is their newest modem, so I'm pretty sure that's not right that they are no longer in use.  

That being said, after 3 conversations with them I got a competent tech who said that the North/Central Texas area has 0 on hand, even via truck roll and they won't be restocked until mid January.   I'll hold until then and complain again.  For now I'm just not using the DMZ+ mode.

EDIT -  I called support yesterday and ended up escalated to a supervisor.  I have a truck roll today between 12 & 2.   We will see if they have the 210 or not.  I already stuck an ethernet to HPNA in line for the TV and outside of having to reboot all the recievers, that works as expected.  So the lack of coax is a non issue for me.

[ Edited ]

A few days in post switch to the 210 and things appear to be back to normal for me.

Returning three routers via The UPS Store was, surprisingly, uneventful.  Just make sure you get the printout that shows they were returned with the serial numbers.  The UPS guy told me that it only prints once and cannot be reprinted so don't lose it. 

I've also tried the eap_proxy bypass just to see how that works -- This is post switch to the 210.  It worked fine - lowered latency some but the speed stayed about the same.

I will say this about the 210 they gave me -- it looks pretty beat up.  It works fine but there are scratches and dings all over it.

Yeah the return process was interesting. I had two Paces still in their original box plus the Pace that the tech left behind. So, I too was returning 3 modems. They made me unbox them since they have to scan the serial number. Then they wanted me to take all the boxes because they put them in a special box they have that hold 4 (they only ship once they have 4). Got the printout with the serial numbers in case att tries to bill me.

Also interesting is I had received an email confirming the return of one of these modems long before shipping it back. Idk how that happened. Assume the cust service rep did it somehow.
Kudos: 1

Not sure how I even found this thread but thanks, I didn't even know my speed had dropped until started reading here. My speeds were 50/150 just like everyone else. I chose to just downgrade the firmware in hopes that they figure it out in the next firmware version, if not then hopefully they'll have better inventory of the new modems.

@kc_c4 wrote:

A few days in post switch to the 210 and things appear to be back to normal for me.

AT&T had to do 2 truck rolls for me.  The 210 they brought out on Saturday was bad and he only had one on his truck.  He had a new one today, had it swapped out and working after about 5 minutes.  I configured the IP passthru, shut off their wifi and rebooted my USG.  I too am getting normal speeds now.

Kudos: 1

@mflannery wrote:

I was having the same problem with the Pace router and my USG.  I also bypassed the gateway using these instructions:  

https://medium.com/@mrtcve/at-t-gigabit-fiber-modem-bypass-using-unifi-usg-updated-c628f7f458cf

And it worked like a champ.  Pretty easy too.

Cheers!

Mike

This worked perfectly for me and got me back to ~950 down from ~50 through the Pace.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 44

AT&T sent me an ARRIS 599 (after a duplicate PACE false start). 

Plugged it in and waited about 20 minutes while it did the initial negotiation dance.   

Setup IP passthrough.

Now seeing a consistent 940Mbps down / 920Mbps up on either side of the USG (the variance between one side or the other is so far in the noise they sometimes swap).

Interesting to note:  DSLReport's speedtest is not able to fully saturate the connection. AT&T's speedtest seemingly does.

The "bypass AT&T's equipment" solution is neat.  But I really don't feel like arguing with AT&T support any more than I have to and far prefer the set it and forget nature of using supported equipment in a supported fashion, even if tech support has a history of incompetence.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 5
Solutions: 2

I've had the Pace now for a while and don't typically get 400 up and down through my AC-HD.  

That’s likely as fast as yours wireless will get. The 900+ speeds are wired.