Emerging Member
Kudos: 4

USG and Gaming

I'm swtiching from a consumer Netgear router to a Unifi network. I'm doing this primarily to segregate my IoT devices from my main network and have better control over security. I want to go all Unifi because I want to keep it as simple as possible. However, in the past I had heard some issues people had with the USG re-ordering UDP packets which caused lag on gaming and video calls. I do quite a bit of gaming so I was wondering if anyone else had experince with the USG and online gaming.

Kudos: 2

Re: USG and Gaming

[ Edited ]

Running since several years an USG with two US-8-150 switches and one AP-AC-Pro on a 250/50Mbps line. 

Im gaming (if time allows) on PS4, XB1, Wii U, PC with zero issues. PS4, XB1, PC hard wired. Wii U wireless. Ping is never more than 10ms.

No NAT setup ever done. Works out of the box. 

Would never ever change anything on my setup. 

Emerging Member

@lyzerak wrote:

Running since several years an USG with two US-8-150 switches and one AP-AC-Pro on a 250/50Mbps line. 

Im gaming (if time allows) on PS4, XB1, Wii U, PC with zero issues. PS4, XB1, PC hard wired. Wii U wireless. Ping is never more than 10ms.

Excellent! I think the USG will be great because then I can configure everything in one interface.

Emerging Member

Anyone else gaming without problem on the USG?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 13
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

@lyzerak wrote:

Same setup and experience except I'm using Netgear prosafe unmanaged switches and AC LR. Never an issue, all games show excellent connection. Fios gigabit on east coast here. 

APs : 2 x AC-LRs on 4.0.24.10010
Router : USG-3P on 4.4.37dev.5149238
UniFi SDN : 5.10.17 on Debian 9, local ESXi host
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 244
Solutions: 102

[ Edited ]

My wife and I game simultaneously on two separate consoles. I do use upnp2 on those networks that are hosting the PS4s just to keep an "open NAT" type. Latency has never been an issue for us with the USG. It mostly comes down to the physical medium in which your packets are transferred by the ISP. Example being fiber vs copper.

Adam Dipple | UniFi Support Team
Kudos: 48
Solutions: 19

also gaming on the USG3P and 8 port 150 wat switch behind my experiabox ( ISP thing )

No issues else that my ISP sometimes hooks from the adsl    but thats not unifi related

Products i have:1x UC‑CK, 1x USG 3p, 1x USW-8 150 Watt, 1x UAP AC_LR, 1x UAP, 1x UVC-G3 Feel free to add me on Steam

It's great to hear that people don't have issues with the UniFi setup. However, unfortunately I seem to have some massive issues with my UniFi Switch 8, which I replaced a consumer grade switch with. No other changes in my setup, but now there's a huge packet drop in outgoing packets. 

Could this be the UDP reordering issue? How to resolve / disable it? 

Here's my thread about the issue: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/UniFi-Switch-8-and-PS4-online-gaming-is-imposs...

Kudos: 6
Solutions: 1

I have CenturyLink DSL Icon Neutral with modem in transparent bridging -> USG-3P -> USW-8 60W -> UAP AC Pro.

No issues with Steam, Blizzard, and Xbox One games played on my network. In fact, my son said that his ping times have improved since switching to Ubiquiti gear (previously used a D-Link DIR-890L/R).

--->Robert

8-)

Warning: This message is protected by ROT-26 encryption. Permission is required to decrypt, reverse engineer, read silently, read aloud, print, copy, post, re-Tweet, email, broadcast, save, store, backup or delete.
Kudos: 45
Solutions: 6

I don’t game yet, but I have experienced no issues streaming HD and 4K HDR at the same time in the roughly 1.5 year long time I’ve had UniFi and the new TV.  My hardware is below in my signiature.

USG Pro
1 Cloud Key Gen 2 Plus
16-POE-150w
3. 8-POE-60
2 UAP-AC-HD's

That's awesome, it's my first time setting up UniFi for home use and it's releiving to see no issues on gaming and streaming with USG. I've been reading that the USG cuts the 1 gig throughput once you turn on all the nice features like DPI and QoS.

Do you also have these set up and how many users are you sharing the network with at the same time?