Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

USG and Unifi Switch Port not detecting Link

On the USG I had to manually set the eth0 port speed to 100 and full duplex to get any kind of link activity when connecting to my cable modem.

On the Unifi switch same issue but with a copier. In that instance i had to set port speed to 100 and full duplex on the copier itself before the port would activate. I could not find away to make those changes on the switch itself.

My main question is why am I having so many problems with network devices activating the ports???
Highlighted

Re: USG and Unifi Switch Port not detecting Link

So....  I've had a support ticket open since the 26th and still no solution.  Here is where we are.

Stuart P. (Ubiquiti Networks)
May 31, 13:53
Hi Shanley,
I apologize but we do not provide phone support. I will be more than happy to help you via email.
I'm forwarding your issue to the appropriate team for further assistance on this. Kindly provide me with sometime so that I can get the things resolved for you.
Your patience is appreciated.
Thanks!
Stuart P.
Ubiquiti Networks

Shanley L. Yates
May 28, 07:29
​Attached is a client view on the unifi controller. Some of the same model computer with the same nic's are detecting at different port speeds.

Ports: 5,7,9,10 are auto detecting at speed 100.
But ports like "3" are detecting at 1000 even though it's the same kind of computer as all the others.

Port 14 has the copier connected to it. I set the port speed on the copier manuly to 1000 full duplex and the link never came backup. It worked when the port was set to 100 full.

Also, I may have found a work around for the USG by placing the "config.gateway.json​" file on the unifi controller. At least it hasn't messed up since.

Please reply back quickly or send a support phone number. This is a production network!!!!!

May 27, 16:25
Hi Shanley,
Sorry for the delay in replying.
Can you check if at all the USG is working properly fine with other devices or not, except the modem. Follow same for the UniFi Switch as well and let me know the result.
Also, If you manually configure the USG via CLI it'll over write the settings in the controller as well.
Please test the devices and let me know the result.
Thanks!
Stuart P.
Ubiquiti Networks

Shanley L. Yates
May 26, 13:36
?
The modem is a DOCS3 and capable of 105 download. Plugging the Modem into another non ubnt switch does activate the port. but neither the USG or the Unifi Switch will activate the port on the modem.

Update. The client contacted the ISP and requested a speed increase. this caused the modem to be rebooted. After the modem rebooted the WAN port on the USG did not come back up. This is after I saved the config yesterday hard setting the speed to 100 and full duplex on eth0.

It's like it lost that config or was over written by the Unifi Controller software. Can that happen? If I manually make a change via cli on the USG will the Unifi Conrtoller over write it?

To get them back up and going today I had to reset those perimeters for the USG.

And again This is two separate issues one with the USG and the other with the Unifi Switch.

The Switch problem was I had to hard set the speed and duplex on the copier itself.
?

May 26, 10:22
Hi Shanley,
Thanks for getting in touch with us!
Can you please make sure that if at all your cable modem is able to negotiate on 1000mbps? I'd suggest to test the USG and Switch with the device doing gigbit.
Awaiting for response.
Thanks!
Stuart P.
Ubiquiti Networks

Shanley L. Yates
May 26, 10:02
Platform: unifi
I'm having some problems with the USG and Unifi Switch.
On the USG I had to manually set the eth0 port speed to 100 and full duplex to get any kind of link activity when connecting to my cable modem.
On the Unifi switch same issue but with a copier. In that instance i had to set port speed to 100 and full duplex on the copier itself before the port would activate. I could find now way to make those changes on the switch itself.
My main question is why am I having so much problems. Network devices activating the ports???
This email is a service from Ubiquiti Networks.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 4013
Solutions: 183

Hey guys,

This is implemented in the Beta release now:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Beta-Blog/UniFi-4-6-6-is-Released-for-Soaking/ba-p/1272180

Please do comment.

Want to try out new features or fixes before they're released as Stable? Sign up for Beta here: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204908664-How-To-Signup-for-Beta-Access

Hi Brandon,

We can change link negociation from Auto to Manual on ethernet ports, but not on SFP/SFP+ ports. I have an optical SFP module (100Base-BX) that doesn't support Auto link negociation.

Please provide this feature for SFP ports !