Kudos: 8
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

USG firmware upgrade from UI and download with bundle

Hi

i have upgradged to 5.3.11 and am just working through the firmware upgrages. I have done previous USG firmware upgrades via the CLI, hosting off the controller but doing it manually, but i am still wondering why it shows upgrades on the UI if its not possible do it via this method? Also why it says its included int he bundle but doesn't seem to be downloaded and included

thanks

Chris

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 1120
Solutions: 303

Re: USG firmware upgrade from UI and download with bundle

It also depends on your controller version. The newer firmware version was only made available for controller version 5.3.11 and higher.

So that explains why the firmware update did not appear while you were running 5.3.8.

View solution in original post

All Replies

[ Edited ]

Then there is probably something wrong in your setup.

I always upgrade everything through the controller GUI. Never had to use the CLI to upgrade firmware of switches, access points or USG.

I only use CLI to upgrade controller on CloudKey.

tthis time i created the folder structure as per the docs and let it do the upgrade via the UI and it worked fine.

I guess i will have to wait for the next upgrade to see if that stays in place

But why are you creating them yourself? If you install/upgrade your controller all folders including firmware should be created automatically.

Or are you using some non-standard DIY installation?

i orignally had it on a windows server and then migrated to a raspberry pi and its been the same on both.

I didn't have the USG from day one but i don't see why that should make a difference.

thanks

Chris

to make it more confiusing the fimware that the USG has gone to is 4.3.34.4943823 which doesn't match the one i uploaded or the one that says its bundled with the 5.3.11 controller update

The USG firmware is always downloaded from the internet.

Also, firmware that is newer than the one bundled with the controller can be pushed by UBNT. That newer firmware also needs to be downloaded from the internet, it is not stored on the controller.

So this means that USG, switches and access points need to be able to download firmware from the internet.

Are your gateway / DNS settings correct?

just doublechecked the AP/Switch firmware and they are one 3.7.34.5997 which is newer than the bundled ones.

i'm going to assume this means they are getting it from the internet then.

i am a bit confused about the purpose of bundling the firmware with the controller if it downloads it from the internet. Preusmably UBNT only push out stable firmware 

thanks

Chris

Normally the current stable firmware of switches / access points is bundled with the controller, and switches / access points update their firmware from the controller.

But if UBNT releases a stable firmware that is newer than the firmware that is bundled with the controller the firmware is downloaded from internet. Otherwise they would need to bring out a new controller version for each new firmware release.

USG firmware is always updated from internet.

thanks for the explantion. 

If the switches/ap's don't have internet access then it would take the controller version?

seems that allowing the controller to update the firmware (there is a button in the UI for it) would be the most sensible as it would then be more efficent to push out to the AP's

sorry for all the questions

No, sadly they don't. They try to download the most recent firmware version from internet and ignore the version of the controller. If the download fails they don't switch over to the file on the controller.

It would have been neater if UBNT would first download the new firmware to the controller and then upgrade the devices from the controller. Now every device needs internet access.

feature request it is then....

its lucky this is a home network and not a secure environment as that wouldn't fly there

Kudos: 3

Not really a solution, more of a workaround I use:

1. Download latest firmware from firmware update announcement. e.g. http://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/USXG/3.7.35.6029/US.bcm5341x.v3.7.35.6029.170109.1438.bin

2. SSH to UniFi Controller, in my case CloudKey

3. Navigate to "/usr/lib/unifi/dl/firmware/"

4. Make a backup of "bundles.json" to "bundles.json.bak"

5. Create firmware version folder for specific product. e.g. "/usr/lib/unifi/dl/firmware/USXG/3.7.35.6029"

6. Upload "US.bcm5341x.v3.7.35.6029.170109.1438.bin" as "firmware.bin" to "/usr/lib/unifi/dl/firmware/USXG/3.7.35.6029"

7. Edit "/usr/lib/unifi/dl/firmware/bundles.json" with a text editor such as Notepad++ (I also have a JSON plug-in installed in Notepad++ called "JSTool" for easier editing)

8. Change the firmware "path" and "version" for the specific product e.g.:

Change:

"USXG": {
		"display": "UniFi Switch XG",
		"path": "USXG/3.7.34.5997/firmware.bin",
		"version": "3.7.34.5997"
	},

To:

"USXG": {
		"display": "UniFi Switch XG",
		"path": "USXG/3.7.35.6029/firmware.bin",
		"version": "3.7.35.6029"
 },

9. Save changes to "/usr/lib/unifi/dl/firmware/bundles.json"

10. Reboot Unfi Controller/CloudKey (Unfortunately it's required to re-read the "bundles.json" file, I have not found a way to issue a command to re-read it from the command line)

The firmware update will now show available for the products that you updated in "/usr/lib/unifi/dl/firmware/bundles.json"

Notes:

1. When a new version of the controller is released, I normally go it in and restore the "/usr/lib/unifi/dl/firmware/bundles.json" to the original and delete the custom firmware folders I uploaded, then apply the new controller version and repeat the above steps when new firmware is available. I have not tested what happens in the firmware folder if you do not restore the original configuration before a controller update.

2. I'm going to test creating my own custom firmware folders in "/usr/lib/unifi/dl/firmware" something like "/usr/lib/unifi/dl/firmware/latest" and creating my own sub-folders and just using a different "path" statement in the "bundles.json". I don't see why this would not work.

Workaround aside, I really hope the UBNT adds the ability to upload new firmware directly to the controller via the GUI in some future version. because I really don't want to have each device connect to the Internet and download the firmware each time, I would rather manage everything centrally from the controller, after all it's that what is was designed for?

Hope this helps someone out Man Happy

My Ubiquiti Home Lab:
1 x EdgeRouter Lite | 3 x EdgeRouter X | 1 x EdgeSwitch Lite 48 | 5 x UniFi AP AC Pro | 1 x UniFi Cloud Key | 1 x UniFi Switch 16 XG

thanks @OzTechGeek that a very through answer. 

Glad i am not the only one confused by the update process, no idea why it goes to the internet.

There is the "check firmware" button under the maintenance page of the settings but i haven't seen this actually do anything, so its either broken or just not had its functionality added yet

Kudos: 3

[ Edited ]

@irweazelyes when I first setup my CloudKey I also tried the "Check Firmware Update" considering it's labeled "Device Firmware Update" but nothing happened, tried clicking it multiple times, and rebooting but nothing. Not sure what it does or if it is working, maybe someone from UBNT can answer.

The issue would be even if it did work, it would only download the latest "stable" firmware version it would not help for using "unstable" or "beta" firmware, so the abaility to actually upload/select firmware option would still be needed, and a way to revert/move between firmware versions.

My Ubiquiti Home Lab:
1 x EdgeRouter Lite | 3 x EdgeRouter X | 1 x EdgeSwitch Lite 48 | 5 x UniFi AP AC Pro | 1 x UniFi Cloud Key | 1 x UniFi Switch 16 XG

if the functionality was there it should have either a tick box/option for stable, stable candiate or beta or it just follows the current branch you are on i.e. if your controller version is on beta or stable etc.

Maybe thats why it doesn't do anything yet.

@OzTechGeek i have added another forum post to ask if it should work and what is should do, hopefully someone from UBNT will see it and shed some light on it

[ Edited ]

The controller checks once a day if there is a new device firmware available. So if UBNT releases a new firmware it can take up to a day before the new version is visible in the devices panel. The button forces the controller to check immediatlely for new firmware. If there is no new firmware available, nothing happens. If there is an update available the upgrade button will show up on the devices panel.

when i did this last week and this week when there was new firmware available then it should have downloaded it but it did nothing. I have been waiting for the new "stable" release to come available on the repo, then decided to do the deb package upgrade which is what started off all the updates - 5.3.8 to 5.3.11

Unless there are some other prerequisities

thanks

chris

It also depends on your controller version. The newer firmware version was only made available for controller version 5.3.11 and higher.

So that explains why the firmware update did not appear while you were running 5.3.8.

Highlighted

thanks @Hsd1965 that explains it. i'll keep an eye out for the next firmware updates

thnaks

chris