Kudos: 2

Re: USG issues - WAN network light stays on all the time, even without a network connection?

Could you advise further?

Kudos: 130
Solutions: 1

Re: USG issues - WAN network light stays on all the time, even without a network connection?

Either the hardware is dead or you'll be lucky and it's just the USB stick inside that has died.

Also, you're not taggin cmb properly, needs and @ in front of it. I'd suggest buying a cheap USB2.0 stick (I replaced mine with Lexar, SanDisk didn't work) and reflashing the base image.

Is there a guide I could follow to do this?

This is the thread where I had USB flash issues, have a read through:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/Failing-USG-3P/td-p/1855247

@hfxrzw wrote:

Could you advise further?

Please keep in mind that this is not an official support forum, you are not going to guarantee support from UBNT by constantly updating this thread as it's not UBNTs job to go searching the forums for support threads.

With that being said, have a look at the link I just posted, there's a very interesting post by another person in that thread that was having issues which sounds identical to your problem:

"Hello again,

I think I spoke too soon Man Sad
I've flashed the image on the USB drive, upgraded to UGW3.v4.3.41.4975503, and it's still not working.
Apparently it isn't a software problem for me, but rather a hardware one ... i guess.
Apparently there is link (amber led) when i connect a device to it, but everything times out on LAN port.
Can't ssh through LAN port - time out. I can ssh ok through wan port.
Can't access the built in wan configuration GUI through LAN port - time out.
Unifi-discover finds the USG but returns "IP Unreachable" on every command.
Unifi controller finds the USG but can't adopt it, even after set-inform through ssh on the USG. Always adoption failed.
Although DHCP is enabled in USG, can't get an ip on anything connected to the LAN port.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Cal."

Did you have any lightning storms recently? Do you have your USG on a UPS? It's could well have been zapped and damaged by a power spike.....

Kudos: 2

Thanks mate, will give that a go. However, with the port light on I'm afaraid its a hardware problem, not software, but I'll try anything.

Cheers, Rene

In my case, there was a lighting storm before the device eth0 stop working. My cable modem was broken. I did a dmesg and find no error on the USB drive. I believe I able to update the firmware. I am guessing it is the hardware not software at this point.

@sfhoo wrote:

In my case, there was a lighting storm before the device eth0 stop working. My cable modem was broken. I did a dmesg and find no error on the USB drive. I believe I able to update the firmware. I am guessing it is the hardware not software at this point.

Oh yeah, 99% sure the WAN port got toasted through the cable modem.

If you don't need the LAN2 port, you could switch it to WAN2 instead and just use that instead of replacing the entire thing.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 5637
Solutions: 355

@LondonBenji wrote:

@sfhoo wrote:

Oh yeah, 99% sure the WAN port got toasted through the cable modem.

If you don't need the LAN2 port, you could switch it to WAN2 instead and just use that instead of replacing the entire thing.

Yeah that's a good idea if it functions. But if the top light never turns on at all, that did more than just fry the WAN NIC, it fried the entire thing. Top light will at least turn white if it's in any way functional. There are different symptoms combined in this thread, if you can actually get into it enough to get a dmesg and it seems otherwise functional, then remapping the ports may be viable depending on how much damage the lightning strike caused.