Kudos: 4
Accepted Solution

USG<->USG site VPN speeds

All,

Fairly simple setup as folows:

Main office, USG + Comcast Business Internet  (~125 down/30 up)(8 port POE Switch, AC PRO)

Remote Office 1, USG + Comcast Business Internet  (~125 down/30 up)(8 port POE Switch, AC PRO)

Remote Office 2, USG + Comcast Business Internet  (~125 down/30 up)(8 port POE Switch, AC PRO)

Each office is on their own subnet, and a site to site VPN from 1 to main, and 2 to main.  

This is all working.

What I'm looking for is some real life experience on performance.  I have a Windows 2012 file server (main office) that i was copying files from (via site VPN from Remote Office 2).  I was disappointed to only be seeing 600k-1.2mb/sec transfers.  I wasn't expecting 100mb or anything, but I guess I was hoping for more than that.  Anyone else with some real world numbers to share/advice of things to check on?

Obviously there are a ton of factors at play on all all the pieces at play here - again, just looking for some real world experiences.

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 54
Solutions: 10

Re: USG<->USG site VPN speeds

Your 30 up is your limiting factor here, you might already realize this.

I have a similar setup, all Comcast connections:

100/100 fiber - main city building 1

100/20 copper - main city building 2

100/20 copper- remote city (100 miles)

100/20 copper - remote city (800 miles)

Here are quick file copy numbers:

From main city 1 to main city 2 (using 100 up) - about 6.4MB per sec as reported by windows 2012 file copy

From main city 2 to main city 1 (using 20 up) - about 2.4MB per sec as reported by windows 2012 file copy

This is not really scientific as there are several people here and lots of other traffic on that 100mb connection at the moment.  This is also MegaBytes as windows 2012 reports it.  

Your numbers appear to be about 1/2 my 20 up connection which isn't great but could be due to other traffic on your connection at the same time?

View solution in original post

All Replies

AWS hosted Controller, is the part I left out here.
Kudos: 54
Solutions: 10

Your 30 up is your limiting factor here, you might already realize this.

I have a similar setup, all Comcast connections:

100/100 fiber - main city building 1

100/20 copper - main city building 2

100/20 copper- remote city (100 miles)

100/20 copper - remote city (800 miles)

Here are quick file copy numbers:

From main city 1 to main city 2 (using 100 up) - about 6.4MB per sec as reported by windows 2012 file copy

From main city 2 to main city 1 (using 20 up) - about 2.4MB per sec as reported by windows 2012 file copy

This is not really scientific as there are several people here and lots of other traffic on that 100mb connection at the moment.  This is also MegaBytes as windows 2012 reports it.  

Your numbers appear to be about 1/2 my 20 up connection which isn't great but could be due to other traffic on your connection at the same time?

Established Member
Kudos: 235
Solutions: 11

@majorwoo wrote:

All,

Fairly simple setup as folows:

Main office, USG + Comcast Business Internet  (~125 down/30 up)(8 port POE Switch, AC PRO)

Remote Office 1, USG + Comcast Business Internet  (~125 down/30 up)(8 port POE Switch, AC PRO)

Remote Office 2, USG + Comcast Business Internet  (~125 down/30 up)(8 port POE Switch, AC PRO)

Each office is on their own subnet, and a site to site VPN from 1 to main, and 2 to main.  

This is all working.

What I'm looking for is some real life experience on performance.  I have a Windows 2012 file server (main office) that i was copying files from (via site VPN from Remote Office 2).  I was disappointed to only be seeing 600k-1.2mb/sec transfers.  I wasn't expecting 100mb or anything, but I guess I was hoping for more than that.  Anyone else with some real world numbers to share/advice of things to check on?

Obviously there are a ton of factors at play on all all the pieces at play here - again, just looking for some real world experiences.

Yep your ISp upload is the main problem here including network traffic/surfing, which also has some inpact.. not much. but many small fish can quickly use up the same space as a shark if they are enough Man Wink

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Yeah I want to do some tests when no one is there, but the USG wasn't showing much upload traffic out of the main site when it was happening, so it was good enough for my very not scientific testing Man Happy

The good news is that means I probably don't have a big problem I need to fix, the bad news is it sounds like this is not to far off of what you guys are seeing and I can't make a quick setting change to triple my performance Man Happy

Ultimately we may need to look at a better connection for the main office. I'm planning next weekend to do some testing when I can shut down most everythign else during some upgrades and see if we get a little better performance.

Thansk guys.