Kudos: 1
Accepted Solution

USG stuck at 50Mbps throughput

A few weeks ago I started to notice that my internet throughput seems to be stuck at around 50Mbps. Started investgating and I can't seem to figure out what has caused it. I have a fairly simple setup. Hardwired in and all my downloads get stuck at 50Mbps down. Before I should be able to pull upwards of 900Mbps. When I bypass the USG I get my full speeds. Any suggestions? I tried asking support and was sent instructions for bypassing the AT&T gateway which really seemed like an odd response to me.

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 2
Solutions: 2

Re: USG stuck at 50Mbps throughput

Believe your issue may be related to your ATT hardware as quite a few others in the ATT forum have posted about the same issue of having their bandwidth limited. Seems to resolve around recent firmware for their Pace 5268ac gateway. Here is an example forum link:

https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Fiber-Equipment/Pace-5268AC-seems-to-throttle-me-to-50Mb/td-p/5678472

View solution in original post

Solutions: 1

I had same issue - ended up bypassing the RG and am back to my expected 1G up/down.

I used this method: https://medium.com/@mrtcve/at-t-gigabit-fiber-modem-bypass-using-unifi-usg-updated-c628f7f458cf

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Kudos: 1252
Solutions: 26

[ Edited ]

A few areas to look.

Was there a change in controller version from 5.8.x to 5.9.x? If so, check the settings | site | provider capabilities to see if it is set to correct Internet download and upload speed.

Check if IDS/IPS feature is enabled. If so, try disable it and should see throughput improves significantly.

Check if DPI feature is enabled. If so, try disable it and see if the throughput improves.

No mention of how you are checking throughput. If using the USG speedtest feature, I think there are some mentioned bugs with it in this forum. I am not too certain what the bugs are but a search should yield some results. Oh, you mentioned AT&T, search too as I think I saw a few posts about AT&T issue just a few days ago or a week ago.

Thanks for the reply.

I did upgrade to 5.9.x in the past few months. I checked the provider capabilities as suggestioned and they were set to 10Mbps down and 1Mbps up. I've changed to 1Gbps up/down and still no improvements.

IDS/IPS and DPI were the first things I checked to make sure they were disabled.

This is a home network so nothing too crazy in terms of configurations.

As for how I determined the speeds I've had numerous downloads that tend to cap at 50Mbps/6MBps. I've also used various speed sites that normally show me 900+ if I bypass the USG. Fast.com speedtest.net, google's speed test, AT&T's speedtest.

Upgraded the firmware on my USG to 4.4.36.5146617 before my initial post.

Controller is at 5.9.29-11384-1

Kudos: 2
Solutions: 2

Believe your issue may be related to your ATT hardware as quite a few others in the ATT forum have posted about the same issue of having their bandwidth limited. Seems to resolve around recent firmware for their Pace 5268ac gateway. Here is an example forum link:

https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Fiber-Equipment/Pace-5268AC-seems-to-throttle-me-to-50Mb/td-p/5678472

So they weren't crazy with the suggestion to bypass and that it was AT&T. That's wild. I'll give this some more reading. Thank you so much for the help.

I had same issue - ended up bypassing the RG and am back to my expected 1G up/down.

I used this method: https://medium.com/@mrtcve/at-t-gigabit-fiber-modem-bypass-using-unifi-usg-updated-c628f7f458cf

Kudos: 10

@willwallguy

I had the same issue.  I saw your post title and was so excited to reply knowing what it was...but someone beat me to it.  That's a good thing though considering I had no clue what the hell was going on in my case.  Here's my thread and experience with it:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/USG-throttling-Gigabit-connection-to-50Mbps-au...

After having gone through ATT support hell though, I recommend you just open up a chat session with their support (don't call them), and paste what I told them:

I need you to send me a new RG that's not a Pace 5268.  My Pace RG has had its download speed capped to 50Mbps since a recent firmware update.  I see that there are many other people with the same issue, with the only solution being switching to a BGW210-700 RG.  The Pace RG has been extremely unresponsive even before this occurence, and now I'm unable to operate in IP passthrough mode even remotely close to speeds that I'm paying for.  When can you have a BGW210-700 model shipped to me by?  This is unacceptable.

If you're able to, I'd recommend asking them to have a service tech drop off a BGW210 directly at your place.  Myself and many others have been told that we'd receive a BGW210 and end up repeatedly being shipped a Pace 5268 (I still have one sitting in the other room I need to return).  After they shipped me the incorrect one I told them to just have a tech drop one off, and had a guy at my door in less than an hour. 

The BGW210 is night and day better than the POS Pace though.  I never thought I'd be so happy that the admin pages load immediately vs after several minutes.  When / if you do get one, choose "Default Server" instead of "Passthrough" in the 'Firewall > IP Passthrough' section.  I couldn't get IPv6 to work correctly with Passthrough selected.  I also had to create some NAT definitions for NAT loopback connections, as connecting to local servers using DNS names wasn't working (although you could just use local DNS/host/ARP definitions).

@mcowger

Wow, that solution is way over the top to fix the issue.  The 50Mbps throttling only occurs when you have DMZ+ mode enabled, so the easiest fix (if you don't tell ATT to give you a new RG) is to switch it to "Application Passthrough" and define which ports you need passed through.  If you don't need special ports, just turn off DMZ+ and you'll be back to your gigabit speeds.

Switching to application pass thru still leaves the RG'S NAT later in place, and risks ATT screwing it up again someday.   

I do use uncommon ports and protocols, and don't want ATT'S crappy hardware involved if I can avoid it. 

For me (not everyone) the EAP proxy method was quicker to setup, and safer, and more effective. 

Kudos: 10

Fair enough.  I'd still recommend just asking them to swap you out to a different model though.  You shouldn't get any pushback.

When I called and asked they tokd me if I ordered a gateway they'd probably send me anotber Pace and they couldn't control that.  

She said a tech could drop one off, but it would be $99 because my connection worked.  

So I used the bypass trick with EAP_Proxy and things are working great now. Thanks all for the help.

They say they're sending me the BGW210, we shall see.

Shipping email says it's the Pace.

Yeah, pretty much the only way to not get a pace is to call out a technician and ask them to ensure swapping in a BGW210 is a requirement in the work order.

That being said I've been rocking the bypass for the last 2 years now without a single issue. I really enjoy not having to use or worry about their vulnerable modems.

Got the Arris today. Tech told me an update on the 17th was supposed to fix the Pace firmware. 

Haven't seen anyone report updates, I believe ATT's just been rolling back the bad firmware.