Kudos: 1

USG3 + 1500/1000 Fiber - kinda working but not?

I got my buddy on Bell Fiber, he's got the 1500/1000 profile. Internal speedtest from the Sagecom Homehub 3000 shows 1.3 up 1 down.

Passing through the HH3k (pppoe initiated by USG3) or using a media converter, speed is decent (940/940) when checking wired to the gigE switch (Unifi 16 port POE). IPS/DPS is off, all the usual offloads are on. Nothing special configured on the USG.

But there's something really strange going on when connecting to my Plex server. It either won't play anything or play a few seconds and then kick out of the video when on Fibe.

Swapping the USG3 back to Teksavvy Cable (250/20) the issue with Plex not working goes away. As a final test I also used an old ass Celeron w/ pfsense on it and the issue with Plex is also not there when using Fiber, and that's with the pfsense box being so under powered it only manages about 350-400mbit before it maxes out the CPU (95%). Plex is also ok with the Shield connected directly to the HH3k (no USG in the mix).

Also with Fiber going through the pfsense box the internet in general is more snappy it seems.

So I am confused about what the issue can be with the USG3. Wired speeds are good, ping is good (2-3ms). But something isn't quite right.

MTU tests report good as well.

Re: USG3 + 1500/1000 Fiber - kinda working but not?

[ Edited ]

Well I'm at a loss... I'm 100% sure it's the USG3. I just don't know what it's doing to cause it. Anyone have any suggestions on what diagnostics to run? Wireshark, etc?

I've factory reset it, updated firmware, etc, etc. No matter what I do you cannot watch Plex on high bandwidth settings through the USG router on Bell. It just either doesn't play at all or drops the connection to the server a few minutes in.  You can click rety and it will play for a few min again and then stop.

Use the HH3k, works, use an under powered pfsense box, works. Asked a friend on Rogers gig internet to test as well (same day I was testing at my friends house), same movie, same device (Shield). Works flawless for him.

Netflix, Youtube all work but undoubtedly use far less bandwidth than the movies from my Plex server in Direct Play.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

MVIMG_20190210_172201.jpg
Highlighted
Kudos: 171
Solutions: 40

Is your Plex server on premises? If so then the USG and HH3000 have nothing to do with it as the traffic wouldn't hit either device, the switch would route the traffic for your network. I suspect an odd configuration issue.

@Compatico wrote:

Is your Plex server on premises? If so then the USG and HH3000 have nothing to do with it as the traffic wouldn't hit either device, the switch would route the traffic for your network. I suspect an odd configuration issue.

Sorry if I wasn't clear... no the Plex server is remote (at my house).  The USG3 is at my friends house (about 4 blocks away from my house), pingin my firewall from his house over the internet is 3-4 ms FWIW as we're both on the same Fiber network/provider.  So this should really be "best case" 

Kudos: 448
Solutions: 116

On the USG, do you happen to have IDS or IPS turned on, and also is SmartQueues on?

Kudos: 2

[ Edited ]

Try adding a firewall rule to allow traffic from his IP to the server.  Just get rid of anything that might be processing that connection.  Also, did you do this with VPN?  

[ Edited ]

@RobbieH wrote:

On the USG, do you happen to have IDS or IPS turned on, and also is SmartQueues on?

IDS/IPS and SQ are all off... All offloads are checked on within the Controller.

Wired speed testing from either the router (USG) or through the Unifi switch is 860/940... so throughput speed is there.

I don't believe it's physically a speed issue... It's some sort of conneciton issue or similar.

I was able to see a pretty substantial difference between throughput to my plex server from my friends house with Fiber and USG3 (throughput seemed low and inconsistent vs having another friend testing the same movie on his cable gigabit internet connection (with only ISP based modem/router) where total throughput was higher and more consistent.  He had no issues and no interruptions at all.

[ Edited ]

@Mad_Scientist wrote:

Try adding a firewall rule to allow traffic from his IP to the server.  Just get rid of anything that might be processing that connection.  Also, did you do this with VPN?  

The FW rules as as standard.

1.jpg

Also if it was a FW rule, then this issue should be present when using the USG3 with his cable internet service, which it is not.  This issue is only present when he uses the Fiber connection with the USG, and the only thing that changes on the USG setting wise is going from DHCP WAN to PPPoE WAN.

I suppose I could completely disable the FW as a test since I'm currently at a loss of what else to try.

Kudos: 2

My point was only to see if white listing his IP improved the situation.

@Mad_Scientist wrote:
My point was only to see if white listing his IP improved the situation.

You're talking on my end?  Again I don't see how that changes anything at all.  The necessary ports are open for PLEX to work. 

And issue does not exist when using a different router/gateway on his end with the fiber connection or if we use his old Cable internet connection with the USG3.

100% the issue is with the USG3 + the Fiber connection, somewhere.