Highlighted
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

USG3 adoption failed after Controller upgrade to 5.10.12

Hello,

I upgraded my controller today from 5.9.29 to 5.10.12 and got an error while adopting my USG3 in the controller. Here is some information on my setup:

- Controller is hosted on local network

- I have UniFi AP-AC-LR with 4.0.15.9872 - status connected

- I have Unifi Switch 8 with 4.0.15.9872 - status connected

- USG3 has a development firmware 4.5.1dev.5051934 and it has for a while

- I logged on directly to the USG admin web GUI and it says that it is connected to internet (which I knew since I can post this) but it also says "Please install the UniFi Controller to manage your gateway."

- it shows a current inform URL on that page which I tried to ping from SSH session to the USG but the host cannot be found. I then tried to use mca-cli and set-inform command to the IP address of the controller, this seems to work in the console where I get taht adoption request has been sent. But back on the controller website nothing happens and I still see Adoption Failed.

- I confirmed that the LAN on USG and Controller Network is using the same subnet.

- I also tried to go thru Manage Device in the controlled and force provisioning of USG but it tells me that its MAC is not found.

Can anyone tell me what else I can try to re-adopt the device?

I will much appreciate any help!

Adam

Accepted Solutions

Re: USG3 adoption failed after Controller upgrade to 5.10.12

I seem to have fixed the problem but wanted to report back with the steps in case someone find a similar problem.

1. I downgraded USG firmware to newest released 4.4.36. I did that by loggin into SSH and using the "upgrade <url of .tar file>" command. I do not know if this is what actually fixed it. Read on..

2. After the firmware change I still got adoption failed in the controller. I then used the Forget Device option to forget the USG. It then tried to quickly adopt itself 3 times and failed. It stayed then in the failed status. I do not know if this step was required.

3. This is what I THINK actually FIXED the problem. I clicked on tht "+" sign on the device properties dialog in the controller. This opend an 'Advanced Adoption' menu. In this menu I had to put in the USG IP, Port (I left blank), User, Password and the inform URL. I used the user ID and pass that worked when logging into the controller web gui. I used the IP of the controller in the inform URL. This put the USG device into the adopting and then provisioning mode and it now shows connected.

My best guess at the root cause is that because I set a custom User and Password for USG the adoption could not proceed. But I might be wrong.

View solution in original post

All Replies

I seem to have fixed the problem but wanted to report back with the steps in case someone find a similar problem.

1. I downgraded USG firmware to newest released 4.4.36. I did that by loggin into SSH and using the "upgrade <url of .tar file>" command. I do not know if this is what actually fixed it. Read on..

2. After the firmware change I still got adoption failed in the controller. I then used the Forget Device option to forget the USG. It then tried to quickly adopt itself 3 times and failed. It stayed then in the failed status. I do not know if this step was required.

3. This is what I THINK actually FIXED the problem. I clicked on tht "+" sign on the device properties dialog in the controller. This opend an 'Advanced Adoption' menu. In this menu I had to put in the USG IP, Port (I left blank), User, Password and the inform URL. I used the user ID and pass that worked when logging into the controller web gui. I used the IP of the controller in the inform URL. This put the USG device into the adopting and then provisioning mode and it now shows connected.

My best guess at the root cause is that because I set a custom User and Password for USG the adoption could not proceed. But I might be wrong.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 14

SAME HERE all my new devices adoption fails what I did is I login ssh and use the upgrade

firmware file link without https just HTTP after firmware upgraded it adopt it fine. 

upgrade http://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/UGW4/4.4.36.5146617/UGW4.v4.4.36.5146617.tar

example for usg 4 pro 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 14

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-MikeD 

Mike, can you please send this to the programmers 5.10.12 don't adopt older received firmware equipment. we have solution workaround but it will be nice if it is fixed.