Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted
Kudos: 19

USG4 - Change LAN2 from routed to switched interface

I'm working on a project which will replace a number of Cisco routers with USGs.  I've got an old 3825 which serves as the hub for a few remote offices.  I'd like to replace the 3825 with a USG4 and the remote office routers with USG3.  I was able to adopt my my test USG3s and USG4 via my cloud controller and can build a tunnel between the USG3 and USG4. 

However, I'm having a hell of a time routing traffic from the remote offices to my internal network.  I need to be able to convert LAN 2 into a switched interface which I can route to my core switch.  I'm scowered the forums and haven't found an answer.  Not sure what I've missed.  Any help would be appreciated. 

SuperUser
Kudos: 3768
Solutions: 348

Re: USG4 - Change LAN2 from routed to switched interface

Airwolf1679 wrote:

However, I'm having a hell of a time routing traffic from the remote offices to my internal network.  I need to be able to convert LAN 2 into a switched interface which I can route to my core switch.  I'm scowered the forums and haven't found an answer.  Not sure what I've missed.  Any help would be appreciated. 

LAN 2 on which device?  And what exactly do you mean by a "switched" interface?  Switches are layer 2 - your going to have traffic from the same subnet on two physical interfaces?  If so, why?

A topology map (just sketch something on paper and snap a pic with your phone and upload if nothing else) would GREATLY help to try to figure out what you want to do.

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP

[ Edited ]

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 12.24.09 PM.pngThrew this together quickly.  All remote office traffic goes throught the tunnel for access to corporate resources.  Internet access is routed through our main content filter.  

I was going to leave Lan1 as a routed interface to assist with troubleshooting in the future.  Lan2 would be the port connected to our existing network.  Hope that helps.

SuperUser

Airwolf1679 wrote:

I was going to leave Lan1 as a routed interface to assist with troubleshooting in the future.

Why?  Why not leave LAN 2 for future expansion?  

Most of Unifi is built around the assumption LAN 1 will be the sites primary site network.  You can fight that if you like, but it doesn't strike me as very smart - your going to crete a constant source of continual headaches for what?

And what's providing Internet in your upper right?  Are you port forwarding the VPN traffic through that device to the USG4 or is the USG4 connected to it's own Internet connection?  If that router in the upper right is a non Unifi device then it doesn't really matter.  If you want to make that a USG too and it has it's own internet connection that is different from your Comcast modem then things could get interesting. 

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP

Got it.  Missed a route.  Now on to pinging the remote gateway from the network....

EricE wrote:

Why?  Why not leave LAN 2 for future expansion?  

Point taken.  I wanted to leave that open for quick, local SSH into the box in case we had controller issues.  Since it was already setup out of the box, using Lan2 seemed like a logical option.  

The router in the upper right is not a USG or USG4, nor is it using the same internet connection.  There is a separate circuit for VPN traffic. 

SuperUser

Airwolf1679 wrote:

Point taken.  I wanted to leave that open for quick, local SSH into the box in case we had controller issues.  Since it was already setup out of the box, using Lan2 seemed like a logical option.  

Where's the controller at in all this?  Is the contoller traffic coming in via the WAN, LAN or ??

If the WAN then either way doesn't matter too much.  If via the LAN, leaving LAN1 the primary network with the controller traffic will likely be a lot more stable long term.