Uk adsl connection

Hi everyone 

New to this site, want some info on setting up a unifi gateway using a straight connection to the wan port from my adsl connection.

I don't want to put my adsl router in the mix like some people have done. I have looked on you tube and other places and most people have connected their router to the gateway.

I haven't  purchased the gateway yet as I don't want to waste any money if it can't be done.

Regards

Andy

Kudos: 469
Solutions: 122

Re: Uk adsl connection

I'm not in the UK but I had DSL here when I first moved in. What you want is a DSL modem only, or put your current device into modem (maybe bridge on your device) mode. You are required to have a modem between the DSL line and the USG, the USG can't act as the modem.

The tricky part will be if your connection is PPPoE and not just DHCP. If it's PPPoE, you'll need to get your PPPoE credentials from your provider if you want the USG to handle the handshake. Mine was just DHCP so it was simple.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 10
Solutions: 3

The USG cannot handle a DSL connection either ADSL or VDSL, it does not have the modem functionality.  You need a modem to translate the DLS into something teh USG can understand.

I am in teh UK and have a Draytek Vigor 130 as my modem running unto my USG PRO,  I have Vodafone VDSL but it also workeg on BT ADSL before the changeover.  Just put the Vigor into dafault mode It knows the UK ISP's and does all the work.  COnnect your USG to the port and away you go.  You enter your username and password into teh WAN settings of the USG and it works fine.

Kudos: 3
Solutions: 1

I also use a vigor 130 as a backup ADSL connection into a USGpro4 and works fine. PPPoE configured on the wan port on the USG. You may need to hunt the internet (or ask your ISP) for the login details for the PPPoE but that shouldnt be too much of an issue.

USG Pro, US-16-XG, US-48, 2 x US-16-150W, 2 x US-8-150W, 2 x US-8-60W, 3 x US-8, AP-AC-nanoHD, AP-AC-Pro, 2 x AP-AC-Lite

Thanks for all your advice, I need to rethink on my new setup.

Andy

Highlighted
Kudos: 101
Solutions: 35

Get hold of an openreach modem. They can be had from ebay for £20-30. Cheaper than the Draytek Vigor 130.

Established Member
Kudos: 445
Solutions: 37

@manroweb wrote:

Get hold of an openreach modem. They can be had from ebay for £20-30. Cheaper than the Draytek Vigor 130.

Those are VDSL only unless you modify them. 

The Vigor 120 is ADSL only while the Vigor 130 is ADSL or VDSL. 

Hi manroweb

I bought the open reach modem as you suggested. Could you advise me if there is any configuration I need to do or any particular settings I need to adjust on the open reach modem.

Many thanks.

Andy

Kudos: 101
Solutions: 35

@Andkbob the HG612 unlocked should be able to connect to ADSL, ADSL2, and VDSL. On the admin page  you can tick which you want it to do. Then configure your router to do the PPPoA or PPPoE.