Highlighted
Kudos: 7

UniFi 8 POE blowing Ethernet ports on other devices?

Tried a few searches but it only seemed like I could find threads where other PoE devices.

This is number three for me where my UniFi 8 PoE switch has blown out ethernet ports on other devices.

Strange thing is it only happens when the device is power cycled, not reboot.

Time number one happened, internet wasn't working properly and I had my nephew just disconnect power from the USG and Switch, wait 30 seconds or so and reconnect power. Seems simple enough but he noticed a Mac Mini connected to the switch stopped working, well the ethernet port on the mini stopped working. He jsut enabled WiFi and carried on and didn't tell me until much later.

I thought nothing of it until several months later, a similar scenario happened. I disconnected power to power cycle the switch, internet service was out and my controller is off site.

Upon restart it blew the port out on my Asus Maximus 9 Apex board, that has over current protection. Hmm.

Fast forward 6 more months, I installed a new NAS, I needed to just do a network reboot and on restart the Switch killed the port it was connected to.

I'll also add, PoE is disabled across all ports accept for the 3 ports being used for WiFi AP's.

The ports on the switch are fine but it seems this thing will zap the hell out of anything non-POE on a power cycle.

Interesting note. I believe all ethernet ports fried were Intel ethernet.

Just curious is this has happened to anyone else and if not, disconnect ports prior to power cycling.

Kudos: 6

Re: UniFi 8 POE blowing Ethernet ports on other devices?

Hi,

There was a recall on the US-8-150w a while ago

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/US-8-150W-Recall/td-p/1646879

Not sure if its related to the problems you're experienceing though?

Kudos: 7

Yeah, completely missed this.

I'm not on the forums that often, well this is interesting. Probably too far out to RMA.

Thanks for the info zoidberg

Try at least contact Ubiquiti via email or the contact section on the website. They may still be able to help. They stand by their products.