Emerging Member
Kudos: 8

Re: UniFi SDN Controller 5.9.29 Stable has been released

I’ve had 5.9.29 running for around 24 hours now, one of my AP’s (an inwall AP) just showed up as disconnected. I reset the UniFi switch port from the contoller and it came back on line again (it was still showing as connected and drawing PoE power from the portj.

Kudos: 30
Solutions: 1

@avmike wrote:

@masseymedia wrote:

Missing Site-to-Site VPN connection status.  New dashboard has VPN widget, but it just reports Client VPN.

I don''t see ANY VPN info, site-to-site or other.  Is that because I don't have a client VPN session active?  Or do I need to enable this "VPN widget"?

Thanks,

Mike

And, more importantly, where can one find widgets to add?

Kudos: 1

I am seeing the same thing in the dashboard timestamps - all the times are off by 5 hours. The dashboard is not reading the -5 UTC setting (i'm in central timezone - US).  I removed a few widgets with time stamps since they aren't accurate.  The attached file shows 12:30p even though its 7:30a.  Hope UniFi Cloud Key gets this fixed on next update.

UBNT-Timestamp.JPG
Kudos: 7
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

@pk1966 wrote:

@l0cut15 wrote:

6.) Finally changing to setting switches back to old UI and design language. No a problem but jarring.

You can actually change that in controller preferences (top right under the three dots). The "Dark Settings" applies to the settings section. Turning it off uses the new white theme.

5.9 Preferences.JPG

This was helpful for me.

@gke565

@MallE76

Take a look at your "Statistics timezone" in the screen shot above. Mine was set to UTC which affected the time stamp of the logs on the dashboard as well as the speed test log. Change it to Site's 

Thanks Bubuski! Never noticed that.
Kudos: 29

Add feature to allow dark theme all the time, 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 23

@shagoy you are not the only one without a whole dark theme, in fact no one has a real dark theme.

At the Moment a dark mode setting is for the settings section in the controller only.

Kudos: 42
Solutions: 7

@johonn We had the same issue in the past, had to reset the device back to factory, it re-adopted fine and no longer had issues. 

Don't forget to hit the Thumbs Up or Solution button.

So far after installing 5.9.29 have had it working, but not that stable. It seems to be quite a big step backwards from where we were in earlier version. A shame it could not be left working

Issues

USG has become disconnected multiple times and Unifi has sent invalid configs at least once in logs. Seems unstable.

VPNs have been removed from dashboard, no way to view them at all

VPNs to Unifi 5.8.30 + USG no longer working, will not authenticate

No drill down properties for USG on dashboard, looks like WiFi features prioritized

Rollover drill down data for throughput/latency graphs is gone. That was a useful feature, please give it back!

Dial up VPN users do not show up at all on Stats page (but there is a hidden widget by adding a custom dashboard)

Improvements

L2TP VPN to iOS finally works!

IPS UI is pretty awesome! Shows that WeChat is Chinese malware tho ...

Internet capacity icon is basically useless and only shows connect speed, not service speed. So % utilization is a silly number when you have 1GB ethernet

Suggestions

IPv6 tools non-existent, visibility of addresses would be handy

Emerging Member

@kemys To fix:

"Internet capacity icon is basically useless and only shows connect speed, not service speed. So % utilization is a silly number when you have 1GB ethernet"

Go to Settings | Site | 
PROVIDER CAPABILITIES and fill the fields with your desired Internet Connection Speed

Just thought I would share a recent problem I had after upgrading incase it helps anyone.

We have a Unifi controller behind an Cisco ASA firewall running FirePower IPS and after upgrading to 5.9.29 all Unifi devices in our remote site became disconnected.

On the Unifi server in /var/log/unifi/server.log I kept seeing the following message:

<inform-79> ERROR inform - Inform Invalid for Device[31.110.xxx.xx:56910], Bad packet magic

And if I SSH'd onto the remote unifi devices and issues the "info" command it would say:

Status Unknown[11] (http://87.102.xxx.xxx:8080/info)

To test I excluded the Unifi server from the Cisco IPS and all devices connected backup with no problems.

Not sure exactly what the problem was because the IPS event just said "unknown".

Emerging Member
Solutions: 2

Guys I am reading these posts and feeling a bit nervous. All sort of people saying the inform no longer works after the upgrade, leaving the cloud controller disconnected? Is it safe to upgrade from 5.8.30 to 5.9.29 or should we wait till this has been resolved?
Kudos: 2

Same question here?

[ Edited ]

I guess it depends on your configuration.  I have a simple network with 4 APs, USG, cloud key controller, and switch.  The upgrade was smooth and I had no issues.  It is a new learning experience with the new dashboard - but it's nice to be able to customize your view.  Note: ignore the two faulty APs, I lost the power meter to my shop in yesterday's storm.  Had the APs not notified me, I wouldn't have known for a few days Man Happy.  Also, speed test is still not accurate, but it runs regularly to monitor my internet access.

UniFi Dashboard.png

There is a VPN widget in the dashboard, and all my drill downs work. You will need to create a 'new' custom dashboard and select the widgets you want to use, the WiFi Metrics dashboard is just the default and cannot be edited.
Emerging Member

Thanks gke565. We have around 30 sites, each have a set of AP's and some switches, all informing back to our server, which manages all of our Unifi clients. If the upgrade is a bit flakey that could leave us vunerable, so might wait a couple of days for a bit more feedback. On a small note, what is the difference to standard Unifi controller to the Unifi SDN Controller?

SDN is the new naming convention - discussion here: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Unifi-SDN-Controller-vs-Unifi-version-Controller/m-p/24...

But what does SDN stand for: Software Defined Networking
Emerging Member

Once again thanks for the tip off! :-) This sort of crept a bit under the radar as far as I can see? I looked at the article you gave me, very interesting. If the video and normal controller are going to be combined that has both pluses and negatives for us. I like the idea of all the kit for a site being controlled in to quote "one pane of glass". This is primarily the reason we have all our sites "inform" back to our one controller. However the video controller appears to have a lot of traffic, and is memory hungry. I am not sure that would be practical to do this all the way back to our server.

i have found in the past that when this occurs is due to the fqdn or the default name for the controller is not set either in the ck or a unifi controler.

Emerging Member

Sorry Dpohli, have I missed something? I dont understand.