Re: UniFi SDN Controller 5.9.29 Stable has been released

[ Edited ]

Can I install the  "UniFi SDN Controller 5.9.29 Stable"  in my   UAS-XG?

@UBNT-MikeD

Emerging Member
Kudos: 17
Solutions: 1

I am running Controller 5.9.29 on Cloud Key 0.12.0 with more than 8 days uptime so far without problems.

My USG 3P is running 4.4.29 and has an uptime of 9 days so far.

I am having  DPI and IPS turned on. No VPN.

Regards,

Michael Lund Milo

USG 3P - USW-8-60W - USW-8-150W - 2 x UAP-AC-Pro - Cloud Key
Kudos: 20
Solutions: 2

[ Edited ]

1 week of no issues with this update.

Using VPN, DPI, IPS, and guest portal.

USG p3, UAP-AC-LR, USW-8-150W, Cloud Key.

Kudos: 2

12 Days ok VPN, IPS working fine.

4.4.29.5124210 USG

3.9.54.9373 AP-AC PRO, Switch 24

Ubnt Banana

Emerging Member
Kudos: 19

Cloud Key can not connect to cloud.

Try deactivating the cloud, restart the cloud-key and reactivate the cloud again.

Try deactivating the cloud, restart the cloud-key and reactivate the cloud again.
Kudos: 78

@eksoft I am having the same issue. I have followed your instructions. The Cloud Key will still not connect.

Kudos: 21

Whatever is causing this isn't related to the new USG firmware despite what I thought.

I reverted my USG-Pro to 4.4.22 and restored to a backup. It worked for a few days but now that I went in and attempted to manually do a backup since I thought it was working well and I had adjusted some WAPs and I lost connection and could no longer access the cloudkey from cloud or local. Logged in with ssh and rebooted and it's allowing me back in and I've repeated this twice. Rebooting did not help the problem at my other site however, it wasn't until I factory reset via ssh and restored that I was able to get back in.

CloudKey (2): 0.12.0 / Controller: 5.9.29
USG-Pro-4 (2): 4.4.29
US-48-500 (3): 3.9.54
UAP-AC-Pro (50): 3.9.54.9373
UAP-AC-IW (2): 3.9.54.9373
Emerging Member
Kudos: 7

[ Edited ]

@oturner wrote:

been having heaps of issues since either this or cloudkey version 12 were installed.

The GUI is completely offline and after investigations have found that the MongoDB isn't starting.

Can't restore a backup as the MicroSD card doesn't appear to me working anymore either.

Error in the server log below.

I have tried DB repairs and journal removal and rebuilds, when I try and get to UniFi controller all I get is a screen that says "Unifi Controller is starting up"

I can't run a DB prune as it can't connect to the DB, any ideas?

Have you found any solution?  I have exactly the same problem on 2 CloudKeys.

Was working fine for a few days, but last thursday, one of them started to be unaccessible. The only think that worked was to reset it to default setting (via the reset button) and load the latest backup (my SD cards work almost all the time). The same happened on the second Cloud Key on Friday. During weekend worked just fine and today I've found out that one of the CloudKeys doesn't work again... So I will have to reset it again. Any idea?

Perhaps somebody from UBNT might help? @UBNT-MikeD

My setup: USG, US-8-60W, UAP-AC-Lite, Cloud Key
Established Member
Kudos: 313
Solutions: 38

[ Edited ]

Issue with device firmware available notices

I monitor the availability of device firmware updates via the API.  I've noticed 2 times already that my script shows 0 firmware updates available.  I know this to be untrue, as my routers are still on 4.4.22, and there is an update available.

When I log into the controller UI, no devices show as having an available firmware update. The upgrade icon is not there.  The only way to get the icon back, and to make the controller think there are pending firmware upgrades, is to go into settings and click "check firmware update" in the maintenence area.  After I click "check firmware updates", the controller UI shows the upgrade icon next to those devices with available firmware upgrades, and also my script pullling from the API reports the number of devices that have available upgrades correctly.

This seems to be a bug.  If there's available firmware updates, the UI (and API) should always show the upgrade icon. I don't recall in any past controller versions where I had to manually click the "check firmware update" button for it to make the upgrade icon reappear.

@UBNT-MikeD

110+ sites / 100+ routers / 200+ switches / 300+ aps
UniFi / EdgeMAX / AirMAX / AirFiber

[ Edited ]

Login to the cloudkey with ssh and type reboot. If that doesn't get you in then you're screwed and you need to reset it to factory and then go back to the previous controller version if possible.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a way to preserve settings that are universal to all controller versions? Once we realize a week later that the controller is a bugged mess we lose everything we've done since the update, even basic setting changes like static IPs.

We haven't gotten any response from Unifi while it's very apparent this release has major problems. This is very concerning. If we can't get this resolved I'm going to have to go to the old LTS version, redo everything and never in my life touch a Unifi update ever again because they don't test ANYTHING before making alpha testers out of their customers. And yes I say Alpha because something this obviously broken should have never gotten out of internal testing let alone be deemed a "stable" release.

Kudos: 2

[ Edited ]

To add on, UniFI 5.9.29 on my Cloud-key is insanely unstable. I've run into at least three issues (posted a separate  forum message as well):

1. With the micro-SD card in the device, systemd / dbus-daemon crashes big time after a few hours. This puts the device in a very sad state, where not even a "reboot" will work (had to power off / on).
  2. Once, possibly due to the hard reboot?, the device completely reset itself, asking for a fresh configuration. Restoring from backup worked though.
  3. Without the micro-SD card in the device, it stays healthy for ~24hours or so, and then things goes sour. Had one incident with mongoDB consuming 100% x2 CPU, a few incidents where "ssh" stops working (which is where it is now, and I can't get any more logs unfortunately since I'm traveling). At this point, it seems other services are no longer working either, I see no new metrics for example in the graphs (so, presumably, MongoDB is wedge now).

I'm a new Ubiquity user, and if this is the quality of the releases, I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake migrating to this eco-system. The APs mostly works ok, I have 3 of them right now, except they each seem to crash a couple of times / day right now.

All device running latest firmware / software.

Kudos: 61
Solutions: 4

@zwoop wrote:

To add on, UniFI 5.9.29 on my Cloud-key is insanely unstable. I've run into at least three issues (posted a separate  forum message as well):

1. With the micro-SD card in the device, systemd / dbus-daemon crashes big time after a few hours. This puts the device in a very sad state, where not even a "reboot" will work (had to power off / on).
  2. Once, possibly due to the hard reboot?, the device completely reset itself, asking for a fresh configuration. Restoring from backup worked though.
  3. Without the micro-SD card in the device, it stays healthy for ~24hours or so, and then things goes sour. Had one incident with mongoDB consuming 100% x2 CPU, a few incidents where "ssh" stops working (which is where it is now, and I can't get any more logs unfortunately since I'm traveling). At this point, it seems other services are no longer working either, I see no new metrics for example in the graphs (so, presumably, MongoDB is wedge now).

I'm a new Ubiquity user, and if this is the quality of the releases, I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake migrating to this eco-system. The APs mostly works ok, I have 3 of them right now, except they each seem to crash a couple of times / day right now.

All device running latest firmware / software.

It's atypical. Past releases have generally at most had minor GUI squabbles but nothing major.  Went through beta channels and thorough vetting before released as public stable. 5.9.x beta forums reporting that there were widespread issues and missing functions. Pushed public anyway *shrug*

Emerging Member
Kudos: 23
Solutions: 2

Well from where I am sitting and especially since we manage around 40 client sites through th same controller, I would be better missing this update until UB are able to make it more stable?

The only positive thing is we are only using it to manage Unifi switches and Access Points, so maybe the main issues appear to be more related to WAN and VPN management?

Has anyone got any feedback on the switches and AP informs? Are they stable or are they still disconnecting if using DNS rather than a specific ctatic WAN IP for controller?

Kudos: 6

I am a HUGE Fan of Unifi gear but this release should make anyone who manages equipment at an enterprise scale quiver in their boots.

The lists of issues in this tread alone show how half-baked the release is.

My enterprise experience of 20 plus years in Information Technology in a fortune 500 company, I rate this product as entry-ware and it would in a lab somewhere while working with the vendor to work out the bugs before ever deploying it on a global scale.

I see some of you manging 100's of sites with a ton of equipment all over. Upgrade the Unfi SDN, CRAAASH, 100's of customers are mad as hornets!

Version 5.9.29 Stable is truly questionable. I hope that Ubuquiti will focus less on the eye candy and develop and deploy software that meets the needs of the IT professionals that stake their reputations upon. And that reputation extends to Ubiquiti as well.

Yes, I love Unfi gear, will stick with it, but this round was painful for me and a lot of other people as well.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 58

Is there an ETA on the next stable release? I want the new features but not the new UI or problems Smiley Tongue

Or an ETA on at least ackowledging there are issues? Not a single word from Ubiquiti after a week of complaints.

Terrible support. And whoever asked if you made a mistake joining the Unifi eco system? Yes, you did. Just look at any of the recent releases and the flood of complaints that follow.

The only way to get anything supposedly "stable" is to use the LTS builds which I have to assume is missing features since they've only recently added things that most would expect out of $30 home routers.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 13

I would like an update from the Ubiquiti unifi team too. I run about 60+ sites and I have been analyzing the amount of issues/complaints in this forum. It makes me very uncomfortable and timid about moving from 5.7.23 to this 5.9.29 build.  I have not felt comfortable about upgrading to the latest builds for awhile since I run into issues with about 15% of the sites when I have done upgrades in the past.

We need like a poll or something to show the number of successful updates without issues, vs minor issues, vs complete upgrade failures at multiple sites. Might give us a better overview of the expected success rate.

We shouldn't have to rely on polls after the fact to find out if they bothered testing a release or not. If they label it as "Stable" we should be able to assume they did more than 5 minutes worth of testing but apparently they are incompetent.

All they needed to do was start a channel scan in the map section and it would've immediately broke. This is one of the areas they are supposedly improving and yet they clearly didn't even bother testing it.