Established Member
Kudos: 313
Solutions: 15
Accepted Solution

UniFi, STP and Sonos

Today I got into a bit of trouble when adding a Sonos device to my home network.

My new Sonos device did play music, but RSTP blocked the port of the US-8-60W switch where the new device was connected forcing it into using SonosNet across the whole of my house to the other wired Sonos device, the link S/N was in the "orange" according to the Sonos Network Matrix page.

Skärmavbild 2017-01-15 kl. 16.06.08.pngPoor S/N between new device in "Garage" and the other wired device across the house

I spent some time reading these (and other) topics:

- https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/Unifi-switch-STP-and-Sonos/m-p/1508612#M12084

- https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless-Beta/USW-24-USW-48-feedback/m-p/1614200#M28668

After some search I thought I had an understanding that Sonos, using an older STP version does not use same path costs as modern network equipment (read UniFi) does. After changing all intra-UniFi-switch-uplink-downlink-port costs to "4" and the two wired-to-Sonos-device ports to "19" the root bridge (a US-8-60W) opened the closed port and instead closed some SonosNet uplinks.

Here is a thread I created and "self answered" an hour later with some images and UniFi CLI - as you probably can see, the SonosNet link S/N ratio all turned green since new path costs made the root bridge decide to "cut in the SonosNet" instead of in my wired network.

- https://en.community.sonos.com/advanced-setups-229000/help-needed-tuning-spanning-tree-ethernet-port...

• Q1: Did I do the right thing?

• Q2: Would stepping down from RSTP to STP in my three UniFi switches have given the same results?

• Q3: If Q2 is "no", how do I make the path costs stay across provisioning, restarts and upgrades? I guess this is the location of the file to edit, but what are the keywords to alter the path costs?
    /usr/lib/unifi/data/sites/default/config.properties

If the tractor overturns, hold the steering wheel do not jump.

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 5369
Solutions: 344

Re: UniFi, STP and Sonos

Thanks @flyvert, I see exactly what you mean. All the switches end up still using RSTP's path costs when using STP. I corrected and updated the ticket accordingly and brought to attention of switch firmware devs. 

The oversized packets I don't think is related to that. If you enable jumbo frames, setup a monitor port, and capture traffic of a port that's showing that, you should see what the traffic is, which should help track down where it's coming from. 

View solution in original post

Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

Fixed in 3.7.45.6182 Man Happy

and probably in 3.7.47.6194 🙂

Established Member

On request:

To use Sonos with UniFi today you either:

1) Disable Sonos Mesh Radio by:

a) selecting Wi-Fi and SSID and password when installing your Sonos system

- o r -

b) Wire all speakers (contradicting one of the main features with Sonos) and permanently disable their radios by calling a specific URL of each device (should be covered in this thread, also mentioned on Sonos Help pages on the web)

- or -

2) Keep the Sonos Mesh, wire one or more Sonos devices, or use a Sonos Bridge or two, but you must then revert UniFi RSTP back to STP mode (Sonos only work with old-style path costs). Possibly you use STP Bridge Priority setting to get the Root Bridge to a known good switch; I have set my first/root UniFi switch to act as Root Bridge (=it is not required to have a Sonos device to act as root bridge).

All Replies
Kudos: 8

Does every Sonos device have a wired connection?

Also for switch settings, your main switch (the 1 connected to your router ) should be set tp STP and 4096.

Every hop afterwards should be set at the next number in line.

Router-> Switch -> Switch

the second switch would be 8196 and so on for any switches farther in,

If every Sonos device has a hard wired connection, I would Disable the Sonos wifi .

https://bsteiner.info/articles/disabling-sonos-wifi

It is very easy to do. I have many large installs of Sonos (20+ speakers and amps) all working with 0 issues using those same settings and with the wifi disabled on the sonos units.

Established Member

@tylerrought: Thanks for feedback!

Can you please read the thread I linked to - I put some more info there, eg only 3 out of 5 have wired connection so I need SonosNet enabled.

Also; what settings in particular do you recommend in UniFi?

1. STP (not RSTP)
  2. Priority 4096 at first switch, or path cost?

I have RSTP enabled on all switches now and -1 step from default priority (32768?) on first switch to force it to become root bridge. To prevent blocked ports in UniFi switches I have been forced to adjust path cost using UniFi switch CLI - settings I fear will go lost at restart, etc.

Does STP remove the need for path cost adjustments (see link above)?

Established Member

@tylerrought: I've done some more testing

1) Restarting one of the switches having a wired but cost-adjusted path made the problem come back (UniFi switch port blocked instead of blocking in SonosNet) Icon Sad

2) Changing all three switches from RSTP to STP (keeping one of them with -1 on Priority to have it assume root bridge) did not help. A UniFi switch port is blocked instead of a (preferred) blocked SonosNet connection.

Skärmavbild 2017-01-16 kl. 19.51.04.pngPort 1 connecting a Sonos device; remain closed even with STP instead of RSTP.

In the current (STP setting) state I checked state from CLI:

(UBNT) #show spanning-tree summary

Spanning Tree Adminmode........... Enabled
Spanning Tree Version............. IEEE 802.1d

The 1998 version seem to be in effect, however, when checking with mca-dump I see path costs from the 2004 version of STP (notice port 1 in discarding (=blocked mode)).

US.v3.7.35# mca-dump | grep -i stp
"stp_pathcost": 200000,
"stp_state": "discarding",
"stp_pathcost": 0,
"stp_state": "disabled",
"stp_state": "forwarding",
"stp_pathcost": 2000000,
"stp_pathcost": 20000,
"stp_priority": 32768,

I bet that I will move the blockage into the SonosNet (which is preferred) if I punch in cost 19 (100 mbit) for the two wired Sonos ports and 4 (1000 mbit) for all intra-switch ports. Seems like this problem revolve around UniFi using new path costs and Sonos staying on old.

@UBNT-MikeD: I saw that you have given some advices in the past - what do you recommend here? Do I need to edit the path costs, and can you please hint how to get them persitent in my switches... I'm a "vi" and Unix-junkie since long so I'm not afraid of some JSON hacking! However, for the majority of regular users, a better solution is probably preferred.

Kudos: 8

Can you disable the wifi on the players that have a wired ethernet connection and let me know.

Also, the 4096 was for the priority. I've never had to manually adjust the path costs.

Can you make a quick diagram of the network layout. showing how/where each sonos is connected.

Established Member

@tylerrought: I'm on a beta product (but didn't think this problem was due to that) and should have used the beta forum.

I've found something that I'm going to ask @UBNT-MikeD to answer on. Please move thread to beta if you think it is more appropriate to have it there (sorry for not thinking of this when making my first post).

The blocking switch (a US-8-60W) is reporting a root path cost of 20004 even though it is running STP and there is only a US-8-150W between it and the root bridge (also a US-8-60W).

(UBNT) (Config)#show spanning-tree

Bridge Priority................................ 32768
Bridge Identifier.............................. 80:00:F0:9F:C2:11:3C:1C
Time Since Topology Change..................... 0 day 0 hr 41 min 12 sec
Topology Change Count.......................... 6
Topology Change in progress.................... False
Designated Root................................ 70:00:F0:9F:C2:11:35:20
Root Path Cost................................. 20004

If I change path cost on this switch from 20000 (the RSTP value even though all three switches are set for STP) down to 4 (the STP value) the total root path cost becomes 8 (which is correct, two links @ 1000 mbit = 8).

(UBNT) (Config)#interface 0/8

(UBNT) (Interface 0/8)#spanning-tree cost 4

(UBNT) (Interface 0/8)#show spanning-tree

Bridge Priority................................ 32768
Bridge Identifier.............................. 80:00:F0:9F:C2:11:3C:1C
Time Since Topology Change..................... 0 day 0 hr 0 min 3 sec
Topology Change Count.......................... 7
Topology Change in progress.................... TRUE
Root Path Cost................................. 8
Root Port Identifier........................... 80:08
Bridge Max Age................................. 20
Bridge Max Hops................................ 20
Bridge Tx Hold Count........................... 6
Bridge Forwarding Delay........................ 15
Hello Time..................................... 2
Bridge Hold Time............................... 6
CST Regional Root.............................. 80:00:F0:9F:C2:11:3C:1C
Regional Root Path Cost........................ 0

After this change, the switch port connecting the Sonos device is unblocked and a proper STP-block is made inside the SonosNet (where path cost is higher due to wifi media).

If I disable wifi on the players with wired connection my Play 1 and Play 5 will stop working since they are without wired connection and I have not setup Sonos to use my SSID/UniFi wifi. If you read the thread I linked in the first post you will see that I have already resorted to turning off wifi on a third Sonos device I deemed being too distant  and isolated (in basement, concrete walls).

Here is the layout of my three switches and the root path cost reported by the CLI

Switch 1, Root Bridge (US-8-60W)

Root Path Cost................................. 0

- Sonos Connect

Switch 2, (US-8-150W) uplink to root bridge

Root Path Cost................................. 4

- No Sonos

Switch 3, (US-8-60W) uplink to switch 2

- Sonos Connect AMP (port blocked!)

The "fault" exist regardless of running STP or RSTP. By changing path cost from 20000 down to 4 on switch 3 the root path cost is reduced to 8 and the problem is solved (block moved from port in switch to Sonos Net).

Is the US-8-60W using wrong path costs in STP mode?

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 14205
Solutions: 594
Contributions: 20

[ Edited ]

flyvert wrote: Switch 3, (US-8-60W) uplink to switch 2

- Sonos Connect AMP (port blocked!)

The "fault" exist regardless of running STP or RSTP. By changing path cost from 20000 down to 4 on switch 3 the root path cost is reduced to 8 and the problem is solved (block moved from port in switch to Sonos Net).

Is the US-8-60W using wrong path costs in STP mode?

This is actually very interesting. Thank you for the detailed info. It does look like it's not configuring the proper values for the path cost. Opening a ticket for it. Will follow up.

Cheers,

Mike

Kudos: 193
Solutions: 8

@tylerrought nice post! Would have advised exactly the same.

@flyvert The safest thing to do is not use the SonosNet Wi-Fi. Any wireless devices can be connected through the main SSID on Unifi. I have ~15 Sonos devices on my home network here, with the majority connected via Ethernet. A couple of locations with Play:1's are Wireless where there are no jacks. These were config'd onto the main SSID, and work well.

Attempting to manually set up all the STP paths is going to extremes which will be painful later - moving players around, replacing hardware etc. 

Good Luck!

Established Member

bencrosby wrote:

@flyvert The safest thing to do is not use the SonosNet Wi-Fi. Any wireless devices can be connected through the main SSID on Unifi. I have ~15 Sonos devices on my home network here, with the majority connected via Ethernet. A couple of locations with Play:1's are Wireless where there are no jacks. These were config'd onto the main SSID, and work well.

Attempting to manually set up all the STP paths is going to extremes which will be painful later - moving players around, replacing hardware etc. 

Agree, but if the UniFi US-8-60W switch would have used the expected path cost ("8" - corresponding to two giga-jumps of the price of "4" each to the root bridge) when selecting STP, it would have worked by itself. I'm not trying to balance the STP tree myself, nor do I prefer doing so.

I've always been suspcious about the SonosNet WiFi, how easily a "box off the shelf" from the electronics store so easily can join my Sonos network (and act as bridge to its Ethernet ports and whatever sits there...).

But I also admire how Sonos mesh their network and use STP to create a loop free network. If you look in other forums, I belive the common comsumer grade recommendation is the opposite - i.e. let Sonos setup the wireless...

However, Sonos was in my household years before UniFi when all I had was two Cisco/Linksys consumer grade AP/routers and had a 2.4G channel free for Sonos to use at its own leisure. The most critical players are wired, but there are two units that I really enjoy being wireless speakers (especially in the summer time...).

Today, I have replaced the Cisco/Linksys stuff with three UniFi APs (with, what I believe a very good coverage and reliability) hence there is no free 2.4G channel anymore, so reconfiguring from SonosNet over to traditional wifi hosted by UniFi seems like the best recommendation.

@bencrosby @tylerroughtHow safe is that compared to SonosNet? When joining a Sonos device to a regular SSID, isn't its Ethernet ports still bridged? If some rouge user gets hold of one of my iPads, etc during a visit, he could quickly add his rouge device (hidden in the trunk of his car) and later use that as a trojan to gain access to my network via the bridged ports? If he quickly powers down that rogue device after adding it to my SonosNet Wi-Fi network, it takes a prosumer (or better) to find it (among the Sonos internal web pages) because the iPad Sonos GUI only list present devices.... putting the Sonos devices on a separate VLAN is not possible either since the client apps need to see the multicasts, and I'm not so fond of dedicating an iPad to that VLAN and stop being able to control sound from my iPhone)

That said, I'm also a troubleshooter... seeing that suspicious path cost raised my "beta tester obligations...".

Anyway, thank you all for good advises, and @UBNT-MikeD let me know how I can assist you to close the support ticket (unless you can make a repro at your side - I would guess Sonos is not a critical component here...).

@UBNT-MikeD Any update on this?

I am seeing the same issue. I have a mostly wired Sonos install.

Using a US-24-250W as the core with a couple US-8 in various rooms. The US-8 are catulating a path cost of 20004.

Logging into the US-8s and changing the path cost manually fixes the problem. (Until the next provision)

I may have to have to pull the US-8s and go back to the Netgear GS108Tv2's (would really rather the US-8) untill we can get this fixed. Some of my Sonos needs to be wired to solve coverage issues.

Is there a way to over override the Path Cost in the config.json?

Thanks,

Matt

Established Member

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-MikeD: I just updated my 2x US-8-60W and 1x US-8-150W to 3.7.38.6088, but once it all came up and reprovisioned, the root path cost was again 20000.

To resume normal operations I had to login to all non-root bridges (the US-8-150W and second US-8-60W) and adjust path cost (from default 20000 down to 4).

Emerging Member
Kudos: 9

A feature request has been submitted for persistent GUI settable per-port RSTP path costs on Unfi switches... if you'd like it to be implemented then  add your kudos to this post.

Ubiquiti Employee

The path cost there is calculated rather than provisioned. @flyvert you mind getting some additional data to help determine why it's ending up with that path cost? 

SSH to switch and: 

telnet localhost
enable
debug console
debug spanning-tree bpdu

Do that after a clean boot so it's in the state where you'll see the issue. Then might need to unplug and replug the port going into the rest of the network. 

Established Member

@UBNT-cmb

I think we need to split up the problem into some separate issues:

1. UniFi STP path costs does not work well with Sonos
    - Sonos expect 19 for 100 mbit and 4 for gigabit. UniFi uses 20.000 for giga Ethernet (which is RSTP, not STP) even though STP mode has been selected in controller.
    - manual override is needed to get spanning tree well balanced (blocks made on high cost SonosNet links instead of low cost copper ports in UniFi switches)
    - ticket submitted by @UBNT-MikeD
    - a request for a new controller setting has been filed for those who need to override path cost for other reason

2. I have recently seen an increase in oversized packets, probably coming from my AC-HD.
    Skärmavbild 2017-02-16 kl. 00.22.49.png

- Reason unknown
    - New phenomenon in my system - not observed before 3.7.40 or maybe 3.7.39
    - Does it relate to the recent PMF issue found with the HD?
    - Led me into taking step 3 below: cut down on Topology Changes in case they drive oversized packets

3. Admin Edge is another desirable setting in controller
    - My small network takes a minute to stabilize
    - By setting Admin Edge on a port connecting a stationary computer often going in & out of sleep TCs due to this port are avoided.

Regarding item 1; Root Bridge closing copper port (presumably due to UniFi using RSTP cost model even in STP mode causing UniFi 100 and 1000 links to become with higher cost than much slower WiFi links inside SonosNet.

This is my network

Skärmavbild 2017-02-14 kl. 23.41.30.png

Below is Garage 60W (where Sonos unit #4 is wired to port 1 at 100 mbit) after a provisioning. The root bridge has decided to block port 1 since its cost has been calculated incorrectly (higher than the wifi link inside the SonosNet mesh).

Skärmavbild 2017-02-15 kl. 23.20.39.png 

I run all switches in STP mode

Skärmavbild 2017-02-15 kl. 23.48.25.png

Still Root Path cost is reported with RSTP cost model:

Root Port Identifier........................... 80:08

To work around the problem the following actions are required after each provisioning:

1. Change uplink/downlink patch costs in Garage 150W switch
    a) Port 7 (downlink to Garage 60W switch) to 4 (giga Ethernet)
    b) Port 8 (uplink to root bridge) to 4 (giga Ethernet)

2. Change uplink/downlink patch costs in Garage 60W switch
    a) Port 1 (downlink to Sonos unit 4) to 19 (fast Ethernet)
    b) Port 8 (uplink to Garage 150W switch) to 4 (giga Ethernet)

I omit documenting step 1a and 1b to shorten this story

After step 2a, the block is moved to the uplink giga port (making the Garage 60W uplinked via SonosNet instead of the two giga link jumps to the root bridge)

Skärmavbild 2017-02-15 kl. 23.58.46.png

After step 2b, the block is finally moved inside the SonosNet (where it should be)

Skärmavbild 2017-02-16 kl. 00.00.17.png

AFAIK, there should be no need to adjust the costs after selecting STP mode in UniFI.

The default costs should be 4 and 19, and not 20000 and 200000 as it seem now.

Skärmavbild 2017-02-16 kl. 00.16.39.pnghttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanning_Tree_Protocol

Or have I gotten it wrong?

Kudos: 1

[ Edited ]

Im seeing the same problem on a site I have, incidentally also with SonosNet creating a loop.

• US 8 POE-150W as Root bridge with Priority 0 with 1 Sonos unit directly connected
  • US 16 POE-150W  Downstream Switch with Priority 4096 with various Sonos units Connected 

The SonosNet (using STP path costs) is creating the loop, but with both switches set to STP, all the ports of the US 16 connected to Sonos units are blocked - favouring the Wifi Connection over a 100Mb - 1Gb uplink.

It seems that RSTP path costs are being used regardles of STP/RSTP setting, manually adjusting the port cost to 4 for my uplink causes the correct behaviour and the port is reactivated. (but this seem to not be persistent after a reprovison/reboot?)

US-16

(UBNT) >show spanning-tree summary

BPDU Guard Mode................... Disabled
BPDU Filter Mode.................. Disabled
Configuration Name................ ****
Configuration Revision Level...... ****
Configuration Digest Key.......... ****
Configuration Format Selector..... 0
No MST instances to display.

US.v3.7.39# mca-dump | grep -i stp
"stp_state": "discarding",
"stp_priority": 4096,

US-8

(UBNT) >show spanning-tree summary

BPDU Guard Mode................... Disabled
BPDU Filter Mode.................. Disabled
Configuration Name................ ****
Configuration Revision Level...... ****
Configuration Digest Key.......... ****
Configuration Format Selector..... 0
No MST instances to display.

US.v3.7.39# mca-dump | grep -i stp
"stp_priority": 0,

Ubiquiti Employee

Thanks @flyvert, I see exactly what you mean. All the switches end up still using RSTP's path costs when using STP. I corrected and updated the ticket accordingly and brought to attention of switch firmware devs. 

The oversized packets I don't think is related to that. If you enable jumbo frames, setup a monitor port, and capture traffic of a port that's showing that, you should see what the traffic is, which should help track down where it's coming from. 

Established Member

@UBNT-cmb: In the meanwhile waiting for a corrected firmware, is there a way to automatically script the necessary settings?

I'm an middleaged Unix-junkie not afraid of bashing and pipeing... if you could just point me in the correct direction... already tried something like in the below...

ssh admin@ipaddress "telnet localhost << END

enable

config

interface 0/x

spanning-tree cost y

END

"

etc...

[ Edited ]

Fixed in 3.7.45.6182 Man Happy

and probably in 3.7.47.6194 🙂

Established Member

Yes, my problem was solved in those versions.

Funny how advanced Sonos really is on the inside given its very calm outside.

I bet there are quite a few Sonos installations out there suffering from various STP related issues without the owner knowing what to do, ending up with him cutting wires (trusting SonosNet) or turning off Sonos WiFi to prevent loops.

The Network Matrix function of the http://ip-of-any-sonos-unit:1400/support/review should be better advertised.

I myself had an issue some years ago (before I became with UniFi) when the industrial graded router I was using "ate" the BPDU the Sonos gear was desperately in need of to prevent a loop. Turned out that "STP=inactive" led to "eat BPDUs" instead of passing them.

[ Edited ]

Thanks flyvert for all your diagnostics here, I am another Sonos owner who's been plagued by random slow network issues due to occaional loops forming, one reason I recently upgraded all my network gear to UniFi.

I have just updated my switches (US 16-150W, US-8, US-8-60W) to 3.7.47.6194 but still end up with it blocking the port my 2nd sonos is attached to.

1.) I was a little unsure wether I should be using RSTP or STP across the switches, but it seems to have made no difference.

2.) Post the updated firmware do I still need to manually ssh into the switches that have a sonos attached and change the spanning-tree cost to something? [And do this whenever the switch is reprovisoned, urg! not a good solution]

Even after the update my switch is showing a root path cost of 40000 and there is a US-8-60W (which the other sonos is attached to) between it and the root switch a US-16-150W.

Bridge Priority................................ 12288
Bridge Identifier.............................. 30:00:F0:9F:C2:16:D9:8A
Time Since Topology Change..................... 0 day 0 hr 2 min 22 sec
Topology Change Count.......................... 13
Designated Root................................ 10:00:80:2A:A8:DC:3B:D0
Root Path Cost................................. 40000
Root Port Identifier........................... 80:01
Bridge Max Age................................. 20
Bridge Max Hops................................ 20
Bridge Tx Hold Count........................... 6
Bridge Forwarding Delay........................ 15