Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

UniFi Switch 24v Passive PoE

Hey everyone,

So I recently purchased a 24 port 250w US-24-250W) and expect it to arrive tomorrow. But I have a few questions before I set it up about the 24v Passove PoE to power 2 APs I have in my home (UAP and UAP-AC-Lite):

1. Do I need to go in before hand and configure the ports or are they auto senesing?

2. I have seen several posts about firmware updates wiping the PoE settings and forcing 48v PoE to passive PoE devices and frying them. How often does this happen? I like to keep up on updates regularly so am I going to have to physically unplug the APs before every update as a precaution? If it does happen will they cover a replacement device even if it is over 1 year old?

3. Any extra tips on this?

Thanks,

Thomas

Established Member
Kudos: 576
Solutions: 157

Re: UniFi Switch 24v Passive PoE

For 24 passive, you need to configure the ports. Think of it like a normal electrical outlet, if you stick your finger there it will shock you because it is sending power all the time. This is why it's 24v passive and not 802.3at or af. You can buy the gigabit Poe converters which inputs 802.3af and outputs 24 passive. This is also good as there is a bug with the older APs that can cause the switch to kill them.

Never heard of that, you are probably talking about the same issue that I mentioned above. Ubnt giving out free converters if your devices are built before a certain date. The problems occurs on devices that are older, new devices have been fixed. 

Help the community by marking issues as solved when they are!

If you need some help or just someone to bounce ideas off on a project, please send requests/details to:
consult@think-networks.com

I was a little bummed because I had ordered a UAP-AC-LITE about a month ago however was disappointed when I received one manufactured at the beginning of 2016. So for now both my APs I have at this location are 24v passive. While I would love to get the adapters and probably will, I just hate spending the $40+ on something that isn't a noticable addition to the network (especially when I just paid $400 for the switch). 

As far as the issue with the firmware frying the APs, I read here in the forum doing a search for these answers the other day. I believe that the UBNT team took care of those affected however it worries me something may happen and I always hate RMA processes as you end up down (or crippled) for several weeks. On top of that I figure they wouldn't do it for the older UAP. 

Highlighted
Emerging Member
Kudos: 3

Your older UAP should be fine, but your UAP-AC-LITE could be at risk given the date.  I would recommend contacting support directly with the date code.  If needed UBNT should be willing to provide an instant adapter for that one since the momentary 48v outpulse during power-on issue has not been mitigated in the switches (apparently can't be solved via firmware, otherwise I'm sure they would have by now).

Thank you for this information. I have  pm'd one of the staff members mentioned in a post about the adapters. This is a little disappointing to hear but hopefully can be resolved.