Kudos: 12

Re: UniFi USG local DNS not resolving local hostname correctly

I have absolutely seen this kind of "ghosting" effect - I see it alot on my cloud key as it displays clients - a users cell phone will be connected upstream to an AP and have one IP address - then after they disconect, they now appear to be connected to an upstream switch with a different IP address, when in fact they are not conected at all. Not sure what Ubiquiti was trying to do when they set this up originaly (as folks are often fond of saysing "it is working as designed") but sure doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me. Especialy when a tried, true, standardised and tested methodology already exsist out there that one would think could have easily been implimented without all that json editing crap. 

Any tutorial about how to edit the json?

I'm sure if you read back in this post - there is a link to that.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 62

@fabio_pazzine wrote:

I am having an issue which I believe is related to this topic, I will describe it here and would appreciate if anyone could confirm. 

I have a network composed entirely by ubiquiti equipments (gateway, switches, wireless access points). All devices (laptops, smartphones, tvs) connect to the network by cable, wireless or both. The problem is: When a laptop connects to the network with the name of laptop1, acquires the IP 10.100.0.50, and I change the laptop's name to laptop2, I can ping the laptop by its new name (laptop2) and it will show me the IP address 10.100.0.50. But if I ping -a 10.100.0.50, it still shows me the previous name (laptop1). So the IP address is attached to 2 different names (laptop1 and laptop2). On my previous experience using Windows server 2012 this would not happen, if it did, it would be fixed automatically in a short period of time (less than a day), but with unifi this doesn't happen, taking much longer, sometimes a week or longer (or maybe in some cases doesn't change).

All clients use DHCP. I cleared the dns cache via ssh, and also flushed dns on the workstation but still nothing changed. One thing that is intriguing is that on the unifi controller, it shows the correct IP address for the correct workstation name.

Is that the same issue?

This is basically the same issue.  The USG's (and subsequently the Cloud Key) implementation of DNS, coupled with DHCP, is woefully broken.  Ubiquiti disagrees, yet this thread shows many of their customers believe they're wrong.

Your only, actual, solution is to turn off DHCP and DNS on the USG and fire it up somewhere else.  Kind of sucks, but it's clear that Ubiquiti is too busy updating the Dashboard to be pretty, to fix underlying networking issues in their product.

-Rob

Emerging Member
Kudos: 62

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

I bought my USG not long ago, shame I have to discover these occurring DNS issues!

Kudos: 2

I havent had an issue, which I am surprised Im usually the person who gets all the issues...I have other but not this one- I know I am new but been lurking for a year and if Ubiquiti whould want to remote in and check mine out...let me know

Kudos: 5

Yea, this is insane. Ubiquiti's "DNS" scheme is so incredibly inane that as someone who understands DNS, I honestly couldn't figure out how the hell Unifi did it. The fact that there is no way to create a static dhcp reservation in advance of a client connecting, makes the entire ecosystem impossible to use in any corporate/enterprise environment. Then the fact that we cannot manually create DNS records is just killing me. I've got 60 or so machines in my house (phy/virt) all of whom need to talk to each other, and most must rely on DNS to work (as hijacking someone's IP is too easy and too big a security risk).
How the hell am I supposed to configure NFS exports when my client machines get a different IP every time they boot, and DNS doesn't work?

Bah! It's crazy to me that Ubiquiti does such an incredible job at a most of the UX and then falls completely flat on simple stuff like DNS, ip reservations, etc.

It is frustratiing, I wish they would just impliment the standard DNS - keeps me from ever wanting to use USG at work - i'll stick with Cisco in production till they get it figured out. At home I finally had to assimilate and enter Alias's in the Cloud Key that clearly should have been, could have been and actually were being resolved correctly from command line with the in house DNS server I had running. Very strange how they did it. 

ive been eating those words in my post every darn day

Have there been any updates with registering static IP addresses on the USG running DNS?

Kudos: 5

No.

Kudos: 27
Solutions: 1

To be fair, it does appear there might be some progress.  If you login to a gateway that is serving dhcp, and run the following commands:

configure

# show service dhcp-server

The output shows the static IP assigned hosts.  Those entries have a new field that I don't remember being there before:

static-mapping aa-bb-cc-dd-ee-ff {
        host-record disable
        ip-address 192.168.255.251
        mac-address aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
}

I don't recall the host-record disable being there prior to the 5.9.29 controller version (but I could be mistaken) and it looks like it might be the first steps in the direction of fixing this issue.

Sir, with this small (but appreciated step in the right direction), would anything in your tutorial need to be modified to proceed with implementing this today?

Kudos: 27

No, it would still work the same. But to be fair, I found even when I *did* get things working, it was fragile and open to failure on the next update of the gateway firmware or on the next controller software update. I finally switched to using an external name server because of this. Until Unifi does name resolution right, hacks can be done, but it is a pain to maintain.

This is absolutely crazy! I recently upgraded from an ER-X. It worked how one would expect - the Alias name you provided for a static lease would become the hostname in "hostname.xxxx.lan".

Come to find out there's no feasable way to do this on the USG... Why should I have to run a separate DHCP / DNS configuration.

I really hope that some day this gets fixed...

Just got a reply from the Unifi support about this issue I submitted some time ago [September-ish] - even after supplying providing my own virtual DHCP & DNS server within the LAN, the unifi CloudKey still will not resolve any static IP addresses correctly - it will from the console, but not on the web interface. It also contiues to ghost devices e.g. As a phone connects, and gets a guest IP address, when it disconnects - it ghosts the device with another IP address in the LAN. Very weird any annoying. Finaly gave up and started entering Aliases as well as maintinaing an internetal DNS/DHCP server in the LAN as the Unifi gear cant seem to do it correctly. 

Here is what the support said, maybe it will help someone out experiencing these issues:

(Ubiquiti Networks Help Center)

Dec 18, 09:57 PST

I'm the UniFi Routing and Switching Support lead and will be assisting you with this issue. I apologize for the heavy delay as we've had a overwhelmingly large number of escalations recently.

In regards to your initial inquiry " I cannot seem to get my Unifi Cloud Key to resolve IP and MAC addresses to host names. The CK displays hostnames for devices connected via WiFi, and a few Wired - but the majority of my Wired Devices only show mac addresses."

The UniFi Cloud key actually isn't resolving anything. What happens is that it displays the information from the "inform" packets sent from the UAP/USW/USG. If the USW really is the key here, as it's running DHCP snooping by default and saves the client hostnames/mac and reports it to the controller, where it's then displayed in the clients page. If you have any "statically" set clients, there's no way for the USW to "snoop" the DHCP packets, because the client isn't going through the DHCP process.
Ubiquiti Networks

Based on the fact that this seems to be a known issue (at least in the user community) and has been lingering with minimal progress, it appears I'm going to end up configuring my own DNS & DHCP server on a Raspberry Pi. At least I'll be able to correctly navigate to my connected devices.

Pitty. I'd really rather keep all these services in the USG.

It seems this issue is to Ubiquiti what „OpenVPN over UDP“ is to Mikrotik. We‘ll have to accept that it will not be fixed until v[insert vaporware version number here]. I would really like to replace my RB2011 with an USG but this is just exchanging one unfinished product with another. Man Sad

New Unifi user here and just migrated my home network over last night. I get home today and realize DNS is not working correctly on any device I statically address outside of the DHCP server. I've only tested on one device so far, but I might have found a solution.

Running Unifi Controller 5.9.29

Under "Clients"

Select on the device in question

In the Properties -> Configuration -> Network

Select the box "Use Fixed Ip Address"

Select the correct network and IP address.

I then moved the device back to DHCP on and rebooted it.

It still has the IP address I wanted and pings by hostname are resolving correctly now.