Kudos: 61

Unifi Controller Uptime Monitor

This seems like it should be the simplest thing, but I can't find how to do it.  I just want to get an email or text or something if my controller goes down.  The be clear, I don't mean the network or any of its components (the controller sends emails for those events).  I mean the Unifi controller itself.  Right now, if the controller goes down (computer restarts or loses power), I don't get any notification.

Established Member
Kudos: 155
Solutions: 47

Re: Unifi Controller Uptime Monitor

The controller is what sends notifications. You say it's simple, but I think it would be VERY hard for the controller to send you a notification if it's down.

Obviously, Robbie.

That is why I'm asking for an uptime monitor, and that implicitly requires another perspective, such as a server on the cloud.  I do not see how connecting my Unifi Controller to the Unifi Cloud gives me this feature, but since I can't seem to connect my controller to cloud access, maybe I should fix that problem first.  I repeadetly get an error "There was an error registering credentials. Invalid credentials."  Even though when I click "No account?  Register now." and enter in exactly the same credentials, they work just fine.

I just started playing with uptimerobot.com, which seems fine, but I don't know how to make it ping the controller (pinging the machine on which the controller runs is not satisfactory).

Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

Where do you have your controller? Linux? Cloud key? You can connect to both with ssh and type "uptime" command.

You can however use uptimerobot to check for https (SSL) on the IP of controller. That should be somewhat helpful.

Good luck!

One small step for LAN, a giant leap of WLAN.

My controller is running on a Win10 machine.  I need immediate emails if the controller goes down.  This may not be the same thing as the whole machine going down.  My smart thermostats do this, I feel like it should absolutely be a feature for my Unifi controller.

If the device responsible for sending the notifications is down, what do you think will be able to send the notification?

You'll need to create a third party solution that monitors the status of the Controller and/or it's hardware, and when it loose connectivity that third party solution notifies you.

But yes, if you're connected to the cloud service and that looses connectivity then that should be able to send a notification. Maybe a suggestion for that functionality.
Kudos: 6
Solutions: 2

Thats actually a job for your server (check if service is running) or your network (check if server is running). I agree, a convenient solution from UniFi/UBNT would be a nice feature, but eventually it comes down to be the job of the server/site admin.

There are many ways to solve your problem. Some are more elaborate then others, but systemd and ping do a very nice and easy job for basic observations of the up/down status. Keep it simple.

Like it was said. This is not problem of the controller. What I would recommend to you is to move your controller to a dedicated box on linux or something. On Linux you can have some sort of check script or something that will notify you. It's also possible on Windows but it is very hard to do so.

Are you guys being purposely thick?

Clearly the solution needs to be completely external from the site.  Clearly the controller can't send the notification if it is down, nor can I rely on the machine on which the controller is running to send notification, nor can I rely on anything on that site/network to send it.  

So I'm asking if Unifi has implemented any such thing in their cloud service (it seems not?).  If not, how could one use some other uptime monitor to perform the monitoring?

Highlighted

Like I said:

I would setup UptimeRobot to check for SSL (https) connection. If there is no connection, controller is not running.

Hmm, seems SSL is a pro feature in uptimerobot.  Not quite interested in spending $60/yr for something that all of my little $6 smart things do natively.

Well, I gave you the idea. Use google to find solution. There is bunch of uptime services, scripts and other things you can use. 

Good for your 6$ devices, but Unifi controller is a service. If your 6$ device host service (ie: controller) is down you also get nothing.

good luck