Kudos: 1
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

Unifi Security Gateway Pro v4 - Unable to change LAN address

[ Edited ]

I was able to add the 192.168.1.x network addresses to my Unifi controller V4.8.14 - My LAN network is 172.16.1.x/24 and the controller forces me to have a VOIP network for some reason and it is set for 192.168.100.x/24. (I have no need for the voip network but the controller will not let me delete it).

I removed my old firewall (Cisco ASA) and successfully discovered the USG, with the LAN address of 192.168.1.1. I want this device to use the 172.16.1.1 address... where can this be accomplished? Searching the forums the instructons state to set this in the Network Settings - but I already have my 172.16.1.x network in there, it's working perfectly with my 4 Unifi AC AP's and my Unifi POE switch. Why does the USG take a different vlan than configured?

Very Frustrated, I have reset the device to factory and tried a bunch of different combinations of adoption to force it to use the 172.16.1.x/24 network to no avail.

Appreciate any assistance anyone can provide - thanks!

networks.PNG

devices.PNG

Accepted Solutions

Re: Unifi Security Gateway Pro v4 - Unable to change LAN address

Well for those interested, I figured it out. Moral of the story - make sure you are running the latest firmware on the USG when you adopt it. I had to manually apply the firmware to my USG because it would not update via the Controller. Once upgraded, I let everything settle under the 192.x address space then changed the IP in the Networks (LAN) and viola... it updated the USG. Thanks, Jim

View solution in original post

All Replies
SuperUser
Kudos: 7921
Solutions: 233

set the controller to 192.168.1.whatever

when it reboots, put yourself on the same subnet

now adopt the usg into 192.168.1.x

now change the network to the 172.x.x.x network your wanted - this should be a quick fix

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog

[ Edited ]
Thanks esseph- I would expect it to be that easy as well. The controller is running on a VM, I changed it's IP address to 192.168.1.5 with a default gateway of .1 and adopted the USG Pro. This worked and I was able to browse the net. I then went into the controller interface and changed the network from 192.168.1.1/24 back to 172.16.1.1/24 and watched the controller go back to adopting and reboot. At that point I lost connectivity to the controller VM so I changed it's IP address back to 172.16.1.20 with a DG of .1 again. When the controller saw the USG Pro after those steps it had an address of 192.168.1.1 again Man Sad As of right now the only way for the controller to see the USG is for me to add a 192.168.1.4 to the VM host and 192.168.1.5 to the VM Machine running the controller. What am I doing wrong?
Highlighted
SuperUser
Kudos: 7921
Solutions: 233

Provisioning takes awhile, be patient. (Can take more than a few minutes)

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog

Well for those interested, I figured it out. Moral of the story - make sure you are running the latest firmware on the USG when you adopt it. I had to manually apply the firmware to my USG because it would not update via the Controller. Once upgraded, I let everything settle under the 192.x address space then changed the IP in the Networks (LAN) and viola... it updated the USG. Thanks, Jim
Kudos: 2

Just to comment - I had similar problem and same approach helped me. USG had 4.3.3 firmware, and did not want to change IP address. Once I upgraded to 4.3.34 it just worked. I had to manually upgrade by connecting with ssh to device and issue upgrade command.