Established Member
Kudos: 235
Solutions: 11

Unifi-Switch-24- 250W. Did it just blow up?

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone.

i got somewhat of a problem.

my switch just got turned off(power plug)

when i give it power i start's powering up the fans

Fans spins up. then spins down, then spins up, then spins down.. they have been doing that for the last 10 minut'es now. so i turned it off again.

Now im a bit worried its dead, which i believe it shouldnt do just from being powered off.

can anybody shed some light over this, or does anybody have any experience with this?

@UBNT-Brandon do you guys know what this error "code" means Man Happy

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 4836
Solutions: 197

Re: Unifi-Switch-24- 250W. Did it just blow up?

So I think this is detection of a hard short on the PoE output. So perhaps could you unplug ethernet from it temporarily and boot the unit? It can deal w/ the shorts after booted, but protects itself on boot (as there isn't enough intelligence before firmware is running, so this is hardware protection kicking in).

This is my initial take based on what you describe here... could be something else wrong.

We'll get you taken care of either way.

Thanks,
Brandon
Want to try out new features or fixes before they're released as Stable? Sign up for Beta here: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204908664-How-To-Signup-for-Beta-Access
Established Member

@UBNT-Brandon wrote:
So I think this is detection of a hard short on the PoE output. So perhaps could you unplug ethernet from it temporarily and boot the unit? It can deal w/ the shorts after booted, but protects itself on boot (as there isn't enough intelligence before firmware is running, so this is hardware protection kicking in).

This is my initial take based on what you describe here... could be something else wrong.

We'll get you taken care of either way.

Thanks,
Brandon

Hey Brandon.

of course it can be all sorts of things going on.

I was just wondering if you guys might have somekind of list over potentiel error behaviour Man Happy like the fans spinning up then down then up... Man Happy

you are propably right about a short. but i have been extreme unlucky at this place for some reason.. 
i have bough a lot of access point, so they are propably from the same shipment, 

last day i bough UAP-AC-LiTE- from my manufacturer for a total of 2000$ to have some spares. i can see the "test date" from what i remember is dated back in early 2016...

i know about the 24V/poe+ issue, but my ports are set to 24V only. Is there anything i can do do help prevent cases like these.

is there a slight chance that uap-ac-lite can die if you just "pull the plug" on them...

1 of them now is rebooting every 15-30 minutes after the shut down.

Well.. technical world. technical problem Man Happy

SuperUser
Kudos: 5837
Solutions: 385

So did you unplug all the ethernet cables and then did the switch boot?

Don't leave us in suspense!  Man Happy

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP
Established Member

@EricE wrote:

So did you unplug all the ethernet cables and then did the switch boot?

Don't leave us in suspense!  Man Happy

oh so sorry

Yes i did unplug all ethernet(the ones on UAP-AC-LITE

and it booted immidiately. 

Great.

but then i took power again and replugged the UAP'S and it kept spinning up and down for like 10-12 minutes, and then it "powered" up. only to leave 2 access point's dead, i presume. UAp wont power up, but link is on the port showing 10mbit FD. (just pulled new cables the day before) cause the ones we were using were installed "loose" only to be swapped with new ones when the office was "ready"

so something is wrong between the USW and the UAP. but what it is i do now know unfortunately

SuperUser
Kudos: 5837
Solutions: 385

[ Edited ]

@skandshus wrote:

so something is wrong between the USW and the UAP. but what it is i do now know unfortunately

Pull the AP off the ceiling and take it with you to the switch.  Plug it into the switch with a patch cable you know works from having tested it with a known working AP, and a new port on the switch for the problematic AP that you know works with one of your other working APs.

If it still shows the symptoms, then it's a hardware problem with the AP and you need to RMA/replace it.

If the AP now suddenly starts working then it's something with your cabling your still missing between the switch and the AP - or a port on the switch itself (move to a different port to eliminate that).

Simplify and isolate to troubleshoot Man Happy  

Slow and steady wins the race and all that.  Good luck!

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP
Highlighted
Established Member

@EricE wrote:

@skandshus wrote:

Pull the AP off the ceiling and take it with you to the switch.  Plug it into the switch with a patch cable you know works from having tested it with a known working AP, and a new port on the switch for the problematic AP that you know works with one of your other working APs.

If it still shows the symptoms, then it's a hardware problem with the AP and you need to RMA/replace it.

If the AP now suddenly starts working then it's something with your cabling your still missing between the switch and the AP - or a port on the switch itself (move to a different port to eliminate that).

Simplify and isolate to troubleshoot Man Happy  

Slow and steady wins the race and all that.  Good luck!

Those two have already been tried Man Happy

it worked, and it didnt work.

1 UAP would boot..with a working cable.. and also the "last" cable. just moved it to another port= port on switch screwing with me.

2 UAP. would not boot. not on another port, and not another cable.

so this is a shared problem Man Happy heheheh..

UBNT reached out to me. so its fine.

ill return the 1 UAP to the vendor.. Man Happy they come from a 5-pack batch. so i might as well keep things "together" and collect. so if the other's from that pack blows up. i can return all of them..

Just gotta mark this one dead and with the date of purchase so warranty time doesnt run out on me so i forget it Man Happy

Now its off to learning about broadcast/multicast and this DOCKER Crap i cant get to work, on a synology.. Man Happy