Kudos: 90
Solutions: 9
Accepted Solution

Unifi Switch console connection pinout not available

[ Edited ]

I have had a support case open for several days. UBNT support states they don't have the pinout for the console port. I have done extensive research I could't find the pintout anywhere. 

I am trying to connect a bunch of USW switches to a terminal server made by Opengear. Here is the pintout provided by Opengear. Currently I am using a rollover cable from opengear to ubiquiti but the connections are not working. Can someone shed a light on this thing?

support case is https://help.ubnt.com/hc/requests/1507663

Adding people now: @UBNT-benpin

pinout opengear.png

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 521
Solutions: 416

Re: Unifi Switch console connection pinout not available

I also think you need straight-through here. Pin 7 on Opengear would be DTR, like @Hsd1965 mentioned.

Ben

Ben Pin | Ubiquiti Support

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee

Hi @gmartine,

Standard Cisco rollover cables are compatible with UniFi and EdgeSwitches. There is a pinout posted here.

Ben

@gmartine wrote:

I have had a support case open for several days. UBNT support states they don't have the pinout for the console port. I have done extensive research I could't find the pintout anywhere. 

I am trying to connect a bunch of USW switches to a terminal server made by Opengear. Here is the pintout provided by Opengear. Currently I am using a rollover cable from opengear to ubiquiti but the connections are not working. Can someone shed a light on this thing?

support case is https://help.ubnt.com/hc/requests/1507663

Adding people now: @UBNT-benpin

@UBNT-benpinCould you please check the pintout of the device I am trying to connect to the switch? I am not connecting a computer. I am connecting a terminal server with the pinout described above. If the pinout for Unifi is the one included with your post then I believe I have to be straight through.

ubnt vs opengear.png
Kudos: 1204
Solutions: 314

Looks to me pin 7 is not correct: Two times DSR. Probably a typo?

Ubiquiti Employee

I also think you need straight-through here. Pin 7 on Opengear would be DTR, like @Hsd1965 mentioned.

Ben

Highlighted

@UBNT-benpin @Hsd1965 Yes. PIN 7 is DTR. I have the cables installed and the connection is up.  Can you guys consider adding this pinout to your documentation? It is kind of strange to reference a cisco cable when you guys are a different vendor.